#1 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'd like to get a little help with some recipe creation. I'd really like to do a big hoppy belgian IPA, something like Terrapin's Monks Revenge. I really suck at recipe creation so I'd like some guidance, where to start with this thing. I'm pretty open to all ideas, if someone has put something together that they already like, then that is cool...I'd like to see what you've already tried. I also have a lb of Cascade, so I'd like to use some Cascade in it but it doesn't have to be limited to one hop. So...what you got?

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'm going to watch this thread closely. I have 4lbs of Cascades right now so +1 to that requirement. :blush:

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

I don't know the Terrapin brew but this is something I'd been thinking about as well. My plan:base malt Pale 2-row or Pilsnera little crystal in the 15-20 rangea little wheat or carapilsHops:bittering: Columbus or MagnumFlavor: Centennial or cascadeAroma: Centennial or cascadeDH: CentennialYeast: Wyeast 1388 Belgian strongI know that's not much of a recipe but that's as far as I got in my thinking.

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

I am on my 3rd rev of something like Stone's Cali-Belgique IPA. The previous 2 versions came out great, and one of those used a lot of Cascade. The latest I brewed was:18lb Belgian pale malt2 lb Belgian Munich1 lb Crystal 40L~70 IBU Columbus for 60 min~14 IBU Centennial for 20 mincouple ounces Chinook at whirlpoolI may also dry-hop one keg with some more ChinookFermented with WLP570 (the last version I used WLP510 which also worked great)There's probably more info on Cali-Beligique at Stone's website if you're interested. It's very light in color, dry, with a ton of hop aroma and flavor. I added the Munich to the new version to get a little more malt backbone. When I used Cascade hops for bittering and WLP510 (Bastogne Ale) it was big on lime/citrus at first. That yeast was pretty clean - but there was noticeable Belgian characteristic. I just a couple of them recently and they aged very nicely, maybe some more yeast character as some of the hop characters became subdued. The version I post here should go into a keg as soon as I have one open, so I should have tasting notes on that soon. I think Strangebrewer's recipe looks very close to the previous recipe I brewed, except I didn't add any wheat. For sure I think any of these recipes could be bumped up to higher OG to get where you want it.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Mach,I have brewed 3 versions of Belgian IPA since last fall and all three of them have turned out great. Since you are wanting to use Cascade I will give you the Cascade hop version that I brewed. I took this beer to a festival in March of this year and this keg was drained in about 2 hours flat. I had many compliments and some said it was the best beer of the festival. May I suggest and understand I have not brewed with many Belgian Yeast but I love love Belgian Ardennes 3522, give it a try and you won't be disappointed. Here is the recipe: Cheers!!Belgian IPA Type: All GrainBatch Size: 5.25 gal75.00% Efficiency Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 10.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.78 % 2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.81 % 0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 % 0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 % 1.75 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 57.1 IBU 0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 6.2 IBU 0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.0 IBU 0.25 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 1.8 IBU 0.25 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 1.3 IBU 0.25 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (10 min) Hops 1.5 IBU 0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU 0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU 0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops - 0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) Hops - Belgian Ardennes 3522 Beer Profile Measured Original Gravity: 1.064 SG Bitterness: 72.8 IBU Est Color: 9.8 SRM

#6 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

Thanks all for the feedback.Ncbeerbrewer has an interesting recipe. Can't say I've tried that yeast either so it might be something to give a shot. What would you think of a dry hop charge to that recipe?

#7 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

If Jimmy James says it's good then I'd roll with it. My recipe included wheat because I have a lot of it :frantic: .I have not used that Ardennes yeast either but I've been interested in it for a while now.

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

Thanks all for the feedback. Ncbeerbrewer has an interesting recipe. Can't say I've tried that yeast either so it might be something to give a shot. What would you think of a dry hop charge to that recipe?

Thanks by the way too!! I would see no reason to not say go for it. I think it would only add to the presentation as you raise the glass to be consumed and it will prepare the senses as well. I say give it a go. Let me know how it goes if you give it a shot.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

I've never made a Belgian IPA but I know that one of my favorites is La chouffe's Houblon. I know they only use 3 varieties of hops but I can't remember exactly which. I know two are Amarillo and Warrior, but I think the last is Simcoe.I know you said cascade, but I had to throw in my two cents! :frantic:

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

I've never made a Belgian IPA but I know that one of my favorites is La chouffe's Houblon. I know they only use 3 varieties of hops but I can't remember exactly which. I know two are Amarillo and Warrior, but I think the last is Simcoe. I know you said cascade, but I had to throw in my two cents! :frantic:

My original Belg IPA recipe was Mags, Saaz and Amarillo. I was told that resembled the Houblon.

#11 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

My recipe included wheat because I have a lot of it :frantic: . I have not used that Ardennes yeast either but I've been interested in it for a while now.

I think the wheat would be a good addition. I originally had some wheat in the grist for my Belgian IPA but then dropped it after going through some revisions based on insight into Stone's beer which I was using as the model. However, it certainly would be appropriate and would potentially boost the head a bit. The Belgian yeasts tend to make a massive head - but it helps to have a bit of wheat. I find that the head on my recipe so far hasn't been as persistent as I'd like - you can roust it but it doesn't lace...could also be too much hop oils in there too are cutting the foam a bit though. My other main thought on these Belgian IPAs is that yeast and hop selection can be important depending on what you are shooting for. For sure probably the beer will be good with more or less any combo of a Trappist/Abbey yeast strain and fresh hops. But in particular I've been searching for particular combos of flavors and aromas that complement each other. Sorta just thinking out loud here and probably not adding anything new, but I find the hop flavor wheel and the manufacturer's yeast flavor profiles very helpful in putting together these recipes. At the end though, you just gotta brew it and see how it turns out which is the fun part!

#12 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

My original Belg IPA recipe was Mags, Saaz and Amarillo. I was told that resembled the Houblon.

Yea, NC, I'm really not sure. I do know that if you look at the back of a bottle it actually tells you which ones they are. I just don't have the bottle in front of me. Cheers!

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

I was thinking of trying something with my rare vos yeast. It's fairly tame compared to some other belgian yeasts I think. It's supposed to be similar to 3463. Any reason this wouldn't work? ETA: I should note I'm think more of a regular IPA (not a double).

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

I was thinking of trying something with my rare vos yeast. It's fairly tame compared to some other belgian yeasts I think. It's supposed to be similar to 3463. Any reason this wouldn't work? ETA: I should note I'm think more of a regular IPA (not a double).

I think your idea will work fine. The 3463 strain is one that I almost picked up and was suggested to me by the LHBS when I orignally started brewing Belg IPA's last year. While I never have used the 3463 I would wager a guess and say you will be just fine. Hop it well and you should be good to go.

#15 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hey Zym, Check out the thread on the MABCAB forum; I know I've seen you there. I just made a Belgian IPA that turned out great! https://free90free.c...opic.php?t=3293

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:07 AM

Hey Zym, Check out the thread on the MABCAB forum; I know I've seen you there. I just made a Belgian IPA that turned out great! https://free90free.c...opic.php?t=3293

Interesting. How was the balance on that with no crystalesque malts?

#17 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

Interesting. How was the balance on that with no crystalesque malts?

Personally, I consider Honey malt to have similar effect as crystal malts, just a different flavor. To me, it seems to add a bit of sweetness. It seems to add an apparent touch of sweetness in this beer and it really balances well with the hops. I really like the way that this one turned out, and will be making this one again for sure!

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

Personally, I consider Honey malt to have similar effect as crystal malts, just a different flavor. To me, it seems to add a bit of sweetness. It seems to add an apparent touch of sweetness in this beer and it really balances well with the hops. I really like the way that this one turned out, and will be making this one again for sure!

yeah - a lot of people have a problem with honey malt I think. I used it in a pale ale that came out really nice.

#19 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

FYI...I brewed the recipe posted here by ncbeerbrewer and I must say it turned out great. I added a 2.5 oz Cascade dry hop for 7 days, and at first it was a little grassy but it mellowed out nicely. Great recipe...thanks!

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

FYI...I brewed the recipe posted here by ncbeerbrewer and I must say it turned out great. I added a 2.5 oz Cascade dry hop for 7 days, and at first it was a little grassy but it mellowed out nicely. Great recipe...thanks!

No problem Mach5. Happy it turned out great for you. I really love that recipe and gotten great public response from it too. Dry hopping it is a great idea as well. I am planning to brew this again for a fall festival. Cheers to you and hope you enjoy it well!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users