#1 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hey guys, I just brewed this weekend it was a quick extract brew but figured id give a go at brewing outside with my turkey fryer. All went well until I noticed all this black gunk building up on my brew kettle. That and the hose coming off the burner would start to ignite evertime I tried to turn up my flame. I was just wondering if there was any tips anyone could offer me to avoid this from happening with the the black build up I was getting on my brew kettle and why the hose coming off the burner would ignite as well? I did end up brewing inside because I was having alot of problems with the fryer.Thanks guys

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47954 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

The black was on the outside or the inside? Assuming outside, it's soot. Your flame was yellow, right? You need to adjust the carb/choke/whatever it's called until the flame is blue.I'm not sure about the flame on the hose. Sounds like it might be a leak at the connection.

#3 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

The black was on the outside or the inside? Assuming outside, it's soot. Your flame was yellow, right? You need to adjust the carb/choke/whatever it's called until the flame is blue.I'm not sure about the flame on the hose. Sounds like it might be a leak at the connection.

yea its on the outside of the pot sorry about that,flame was yellow. I was getting a loud hissing noise which I think was the propane coming threw the burner which may have been the reason for the flame on the hose.where about would the carb/choke/whatever it's called be? my fryer has a red knob which comes off and there is an allen wrench type screw under it, and then I have the an on off valve. Should I turn the propane tank all the way up?thanks again

#4 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

yea its on the outside of the pot sorry about that,flame was yellow. I was getting a loud hissing noise which I think was the propane coming threw the burner which may have been the reason for the flame on the hose.where about would the carb/choke/whatever it's called be? my fryer has a red knob which comes off and there is an allen wrench type screw under it, and then I have the an on off valve. Should I turn the propane tank all the way up?thanks again

There should be an air choke on the burner, most likely where the hose connects to the back of the burner assembly. It is like a thin metal round thing that you can twist around to increase airflow to the burner so you can get a good flame. Take a look at the pic below. Notice on the left back part where the hose connects there is that thin metal peice with the two holes in it, that twists to allow more or less air to control the flame. That is probably your problem. If you don't see something like that, take a pic of your burner and we'll be able to better help. :) :smilielol:

#5 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

There should be an air choke on the burner, most likely where the hose connects to the back of the burner assembly. It is like a thin metal round thing that you can twist around to increase airflow to the burner so you can get a good flame. Take a look at the pic below. Notice on the left back part where the hose connects there is that thin metal peice with the two holes in it, that twists to allow more or less air to control the flame. That is probably your problem. If you don't see something like that, take a pic of your burner and we'll be able to better help. :) :smilielol:

hey I didnt see a picture below haha. I will take a few pics of my burner and maybe you can help me out. Thanks

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

hey I didnt see a picture below haha. I will take a few pics of my burner and maybe you can help me out. Thanks

Damn, my bad. here it is below:Posted Image

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

https://www.outdoorc.../b/g/bg10.jpgit is in the lower left corner, held in by the two screws. They don't all look exactly like this, but should be similar. This is what regulates how much air is able to flow in to combust with the propane.

#8 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the pic, I will check that out when I get home from work and see about moving it around. I will also take a few pics of mine, and see you guys can see if im missing something else as well.

#9 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

these are the pics of my fryer, if you have any suggestions on how to maybe set the vent off the burner that would be great also the gold knob off the tank turns my flame on and off and then theres the allen head bolt im not sure what that does so I have not messed with it. thanks again...Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

does the brass knob allow you to control how much gas is flowing to the burner? more than just all on or all off?In the second picture, it is where the hose attaches to the burner itself, there is that circular piece of metal with what looks like 1/4 sections taken out of it on opposing sides. You should be able to turn that to change the amount of oxygen that is being allowed to flow and combust with the propane. You want to turn that until you get a good blue flame coming from the burner.The regular looks a little suspect to me. Where was the flame coming out of the hose?

Edited by gnef, 15 June 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

Weird regulator. I bet that brass knob on the output of the regulator is your gas control. there really isn't much control with the knob of the main tank. Usually just cracking it open is sufficient to get good flow, then fine tune off of the regulator for the burner. But for sure need to play with that choke.

#12 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

does the brass knob allow you to control how much gas is flowing to the burner? more than just all on or all off?In the second picture, it is where the hose attaches to the burner itself, there is that circular piece of metal with what looks like 1/4 sections taken out of it on opposing sides. You should be able to turn that to change the amount of oxygen that is being allowed to flow and combust with the propane. You want to turn that until you get a good blue flame coming from the burner.The regular looks a little suspect to me. Where was the flame coming out of the hose?

the flame was coming out at the circular piece of metal which caused the hose to ignite at the end,the brass knob is pretty much my on off switch as I turn it more gas comes out.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

HP regulator on a LP burner guys?That might explain the excessive flame and yellow burn.Also turn the air valve so it is more open. You are presently 50% blocked.My king cooker's are all the way open. But that's different than your banjo burner, which is a low pressure burner IIRC.

#14 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:45 AM

should I fully open the valve on the propane tank?

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

Check for spider webs inside the burner itself. That has been known to cause issues, and can be frustrating.If your burner is clear, I would recommend a new regulator. Fire coming from the hose connection does not sound good. You can make sure it is attached firmly first, but that would scare me, and to me it is worth it to get a new regulator. Make sure to get one that is easy to adjust the pressure.

#16 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

Hey sorry to bring this topic up again but I was never able to get my one turkey fryer goin, I am about to bid on a Bayou 3066A fryer on ebay. I was just wondering if anyone has this one and what they think of it? Or any suggestions on a fryer to go after?thanksNick

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:31 AM

Hey sorry to bring this topic up again but I was never able to get my one turkey fryer goin, I am about to bid on a Bayou 3066A fryer on ebay. I was just wondering if anyone has this one and what they think of it? Or any suggestions on a fryer to go after?thanksNick

Only possible disadvantage to the models with the raised lip is you may be limited to what pots you can use on it in the future. I have a bayou classic SQ14. It's just the burner but it's a little more flexible. It also has 4 legs so it's very stable. It can be had for about $50 at most hardware stores or cheaper if you look for a deal.

#18 Nick Bates

Nick Bates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWestland,Mi

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

thats what I was thinking, I may be able to get it for 20 dollars. So I was thinking I might take a stab at it. The picture I seen of it, it looks like my pot would sit on the raised lip without a problem. Thanks for the suggestion of the sq14, I will look into that as well.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

thats what I was thinking, I may be able to get it for 20 dollars. So I was thinking I might take a stab at it. The picture I seen of it, it looks like my pot would sit on the raised lip without a problem. Thanks for the suggestion of the sq14, I will look into that as well.

for $20 it's probably worth the risk. worst case you end up some a nice burner and pot for frying turkey in :frank:

#20 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

You know, It's funny that I didn't see this when it was new, but I use the exact same setup. Brass knob and everything. Actually, I think it's the same company too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users