#1 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Well in an effort to be faithful with my board-proclaimed new years brewing resolutions, I have started working on the new milling cart. As I posted recently, I got a new Monster Mill MM 3 2.0 with hardened rollers. Since I sold my whole other mill, stand, motor, and the like, I have started from scratch. I gathered some good ideas and great scavenged stuff to build with, so I really dont mind starting over. It give me the change to build it stronger...faster....better. Its like the 6-million dollar grain mill. Hopefully, the cost will come in somewhat below that, but with projects at my house, you never know.Well here we go:1: So this is a great cart that I scavenged from the garbage. It's old but it is still in great shape. It is an all stainless steel lab cart as best I can tell.Posted Image2: This is the cart with the holes drilled to mount the mill and the hole cut for the grain to come through. Yes I did it with the dremmel and a lot of those little cutting wheels.Posted Image3: Now I have installed a piece of MDF (1/2") on the top with the same holes drilled and cut. In case you are wondering how I did it, I had one of the bases that came with the monster mill. So, I just drilled through the holes of that, bolted the base to my MDF, and then used a router with a straight bit and guide wheel to cut the big hole. This gave me pretty much and exact match of a pattern on my piece of MDFPosted Image

#2 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

4: Here is the mill mounted to the MDF.Posted Image5: To run the mill, I decided to go with a low speed drill that I found at harbor freight for 40 bucks. ((Drill link) Here it is mounted to the mill. I have also attached the hopper.Posted Image6: For stability, I attached a piece of threaded rod to the drill on the side where the handle screws in. I then drilled a hole in the cart and attached it to the cart.Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

7: The goal is to build a box around the drill not only for safety and to add a switch and outlet to the cart but also to provide a surface to set a scale up on top for weighing. These are of the box being built.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

8: Here I have started the wiring inside the box. I wanted it so the outlet was on all the time (for scale or whatever) and the switch operated the drill. I would normally have cut the cord on the drill and hard wired it in, but the lady at Harbor Freight gave me a free 2-year extended warranty, so I wired a plug in to leave the drill intact.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image9: And here it is all buttoned up. So the top is finished. Now I just need to cut and shape the shelf below to accept the grain receiving bucket.Posted ImagePosted ImageSo, stay tuned. More to come.

#5 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8271 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Very cool build chef!! I may do something like that one day with my MM.

#6 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

I think I just wet myself. That is sweet! ;)

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

I smell a BYO Equipment Submission!Very Nice Job!

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

Hey, don't you know how new year's resolutions work? You aren't actually supposed to do anything, just talk about it for two weeks then give up.Nice build. I find it interesting that you used a drill rather than a motor considering your old mill.That is a very nice mill. I'd like to upgrade to that eventually (maybe even splurge for the stainless rollers), but only once I've done a lot of other upgrades to the brewery, which could take a while.I still need to stop by after work some time!

#9 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

I smell a BYO Equipment Submission!Very Nice Job!

Chef,Great job. did you clock the RPM's on that clamp? what is it turning?or did you install a Reostat to control the speed of the drill motor?you are the Master Blaster.Nice work.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:24 AM

Thanks all. It has been fun planning and building. I hadnt thought about a BYO submission. Could be a good idea.

Hey, don't you know how new year's resolutions work? You aren't actually supposed to do anything, just talk about it for two weeks then give up.Nice build. I find it interesting that you used a drill rather than a motor considering your old mill.That is a very nice mill. I'd like to upgrade to that eventually (maybe even splurge for the stainless rollers), but only once I've done a lot of other upgrades to the brewery, which could take a while.I still need to stop by after work some time!

In actuality, I gave up making new years resolutions just for that reason. ;) Yea the old one was nice enough and worked just fine. However, I always was wary of the big, exposed, spinning pulley and belt. While I never even had a close call, it seemed like a danger. This one should be a little safer as well as more mobile and hopefully a little cooler.For those not familiar, this is what the old milling stand looked like:Posted ImagePosted ImageYes, you do need to come over. There is so much I can put you to work doing. hahaha

#11 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9742 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:33 AM

Chef,Great job. did you clock the RPM's on that clamp? what is it turning?or did you install a Reostat to control the speed of the drill motor?you are the Master Blaster.Nice work.

The trigger on the drill has one of those dials that can control the depth that the trigger pulls and hence the speed. So the dial is set and the clamp just pulls it all the way into where the trigger stops. Before I got the drill I was planning to use a motor speed controller as you suggested, but when I figured out the drill had the dial thingie, this simple method seemed like the only choice.I have not clocked it or anything yet. I will plan on doing that in final tuning. To be honest, the drill runs at 550 rpm, so I eyeballed a little less than half of the full speed and will probably start there. It seems like a might be a smidge fast right now (again from eyeballing it), but I want to wait and see what speed it runs under load with grain.

#12 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

cool.looks like you have a great new toy.the old one I could see your point on being an issue.but if you ever needed to move your house I'll bet the motor on your old one would have done the trick. that thing is a MONSTER.we'll be looking for you in upcoming BYO issues.

#13 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

I need to think about something like this as well. I love my mill,bu the "Barley Crusher" model is impossible to balance on a bucket sometimes. Ever dump a portion of your grains on the floor due to the instability?? I have!!!!....and more than once.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

I need to think about something like this as well. I love my mill,bu the "Barley Crusher" model is impossible to balance on a bucket sometimes. Ever dump a portion of your grains on the floor due to the instability?? I have!!!!....and more than once.

YDIWI've never had my BC tip over. What size hopper did you get?

#15 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

the small 7lb one of course. I need to switch out the little half-circle thingy they have going on. I am scared to get anything bigger than 7lb hopper until I can mount this silly thing or change the base design. https://www.northern...w-7-hopper.html

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

the small 7lb one of course. I need to switch out the little half-circle thingy they have going on. I am scared to get anything bigger than 7lb hopper until I can mount this silly thing or change the base design. https://www.northern...w-7-hopper.html

I use the 15 pound hopper. Works great with a Home Depot Bucket. Are you using a drill or are you hand cranking it?

#17 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

I use the 15 pound hopper. Works great with a Home Depot Bucket. Are you using a drill or are you hand cranking it?

No, drill. Only the Pilgrims and Amish use the handcrank! I have used the HD bucket too, but that thing is so top heavy when full. I cant imagine how much more top heavy it'd be with the 15lber.

Edited by Matt C, 06 January 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

No, drill. Only the Pilgrims and Amish use the handcrank! I have used the HD bucket too, but that thing is so top heavy when full. I cant imagine how much more top heavy it'd be with the 15lber.

You know the rubber feet hold it firmly in place right? I'm just surprised you are having this issue. I've never even felt like mine was coming close to tipping over.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

You know the rubber feet hold it firmly in place right? I'm just surprised you are having this issue. I've never even felt like mine was coming close to tipping over.

I tipped mine the first time I used it. The torque from the drill just flipped the sucker over. Now I know to keep my non-drill hand firmly planted on the base.

#20 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Love the cart idea. Thinking of mounting mine on an old cabinet with a dolly, but the cart is neat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users