#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

BB -I have not cultured it yet but plan to because I just picked up my first sixer yesterday. Question for you...I let some "lay" beer drinkers take a few sips of this last night and they thought it tasted "too wheaty". And I can taste it too but I like that smoothness and flavor that the wheat lends to the beer. Do you guys use more flaked wheat or wheat malt in this beer? Is that even an appropriate question? Do the BMC brewers use flaked wheat?

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Wait, how in the hell does someone in St. Louis find this stuff but I cant find it anywhere and I'm in California? I would think it would be easier for me as I am not that far and it would make it to distributors quicker. I could be being dumb though. :huh:

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hmm...good idea, Basser. I had two yesterday and I was wondering if it was bottle conditioned with the same yeast or if it was the house strain added in there.Maybe I'll have to sic the Schlafly lab guys on this one...

#5 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:03 AM

I haven't yet, but may have to this fall when the temperature dips a little. On a side, I did a tasting with Kellerweis and Paulaner. Paulaner is one of my favorite Hefeweizens, but next to Kellerweis it seemed too carmely and not nearly as clean. Good job. Now I need to find some Weihenstephaner.Mashman

#6 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

We use malted wheat.single strain of heffe yeast is used.BrewBasser

#7 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Anyone culture it out and brew with it yet?Just wondering.BrewBasser

Yes. I grabbed the sediment out of one bottle. In three days it multiplied into a nice inch thick layer of beautiful yeast. I'm almost afraid to put it in 5 gallons of wort with a lid on it.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Wait, how in the hell does someone in St. Louis find this stuff but I cant find it anywhere and I'm in California? I would think it would be easier for me as I am not that far and it would make it to distributors quicker. I could be being dumb though. :facepalm:

dogg,I see the Kellerweis all over the place. Safeway, BevMo, liqour stores and all kinds of other places.Maybe we are just more sophisticated down here in the south bay. :smilielol: :P zymot

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

dogg,I see the Kellerweis all over the place. Safeway, BevMo, liqour stores and all kinds of other places.Maybe we are just more sophisticated down here in the south bay. :devil: :P zymot

Holy crap dude, nice way to dig up a thread almost a year old since the last reply! :smilielol: I have had copious amounts of teh Kellerweiss now. :facepalm:For some reason it just didn't show up around here for a while. :cheers:

Edited by badogg, 24 June 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25625 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

Holy crap dude, nice way to dig up a thread almost a year old since the last reply! :facepalm: I have had copious amounts of teh Kellerweiss now. :PFor some reason it just didn't show up around here for a while. :smilielol:

Sorry, I did not notice that the OP was that old.When I wrote that I was under the influence of jet lag. I am in a hotel in a small town about 60 miles north of Tokyo, Japan.Here they put beer in vending machines. Mineral water, Coke, canned coffee (hot or cold) or beer. Your choice, all from one vending machine.zymot

#11 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

Holy crap dude, nice way to dig up a thread almost a year old since the last reply! :facepalm: I have had copious amounts of teh Kellerweiss now. :PFor some reason it just didn't show up around here for a while. :smilielol:

Actually, it was my fault for digging this up. I captured some K yeast and was told that SN filters out the original yeast and uses another strain for bottle conditioning. It seems that the authoritative answer was on this forum.I just recently started washing/reusing yeast, and also have discovered I like wheat beers. Although I wouldn't try to duplicate Kellerweis exactly, I am going to use that yeast next week after another American Wheat using 1010. It sure seems to be healthy stuff.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

Actually, it was my fault for digging this up. I captured some K yeast and was told that SN filters out the original yeast and uses another strain for bottle conditioning. It seems that the authoritative answer was on this forum.I just recently started washing/reusing yeast, and also have discovered I like wheat beers. Although I wouldn't try to duplicate Kellerweis exactly, I am going to use that yeast next week after another American Wheat using 1010. It sure seems to be healthy stuff.

You need A LOT of head space. This yeast krausens like crazy!

#13 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

You need A LOT of head space. This yeast krausens like crazy!

If it is anything like the starter at all, I believe it! I appreciate the tip.

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

This is categorically false. That beer only has Kellerweis yeast in it.MolBasser

#15 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

Why does your peoples' website describe open fermentation as though it is some difficult and labor intensive procss? I thought it was just a shallow vessel, no/low pressure on the yeast, and a sanitary environment ... Am I missing something?*understands if you can't answer this*

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Why does your peoples' website describe open fermentation as though it is some difficult and labor intensive procss? I thought it was just a shallow vessel, no/low pressure on the yeast, and a sanitary environment ... Am I missing something?*understands if you can't answer this*

Marketing.Out of my hands, brother.However, it is WAY more labor intesive than cylindroconnicals. The cellerman hand clean the opens while the conicals get cleaned automatically with CIP systems.It actually is sort of a pain in the ass to brew Kellerweis.MolBasser

#17 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

zOMG probrewers have to clean like homebrewersI figured that may be the case. Thanks

#18 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

This is categorically false. That beer only has Kellerweis yeast in it.MolBasser

Yeah, I googled 'Kellerweis yeast', and the first link seemed to contradict the assertion that K has different bottling yeast. The second link was to this forum, and I consider this information concrete confirmation that only one yeast is used.BTW, on some other advice, I went ahead and brewed my American Wheat with 1010. I am going to save the K for some Bavarian Wheat.Love your stuff. See what you can do to get my entry to Beer Camp picked, and I'll buy you a few! <BAG>

#19 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Which is your entry? I will plug it if it is good.MolBasser

#20 Starderup

Starderup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:04 AM

Which is your entry? I will plug it if it is good.MolBasser

it starts out 'A beer by any other name'... but I think it sucks.I just don't like seeing my picture and video would be even worse. Anyway, it would be awesome if I got picked. I saw some of the other entries, and I think my chances are slim to none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users