#1 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

So I have been thinking for a while about redoing my mill cart setup. Along with that I have thought about getting a new Monster Mill. As I have shared several times before, Fred, the guy who owns Monster Brewing Hardware, is a friend of mine. So this week several things lined up so that I decided to go for it. A buddy in my club needed a mill and wanted a complete, ready-to-go setup, and Fred got a mill returned (long story - but the mill is just fine) and was able to give me a fair price on it.Well the new monster is a behemoth. So today I got the idea to take a pic of the new one next to the old one before I took the old one to my brew club buddy.Now my old mill is the 3-roller CrankAndStein Model 3EThe new mill is the Monster Mill MM 3 2.0 with the optional hardened steel rollers.Here are the comparison pics: (Yes I know they are upside down. The old one is still mounted to the board and I wasn't about to take it apart it just for the picture.)Side by side:Posted ImageSemi top view:Posted Image$10 Bill added for scale:Posted ImageObviously, I have a long way to go before milling resumes, so I will try to document and post the new cart build pics. As a teaser, I picked up a 1/2" heavy duty low speed drill from harbor freight the other day and will be driving this beast with that.Drill Linky Dinky Poo

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

looks like you'll be grinding mass quantities of grain!If I brewed significantly more than I do, I would love to have something like that. The BarleyCrusher does just fine for me though. I need to get some motivation to finish a carpentry project so I can justify a brew session!

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have the 3 roller Monster. It's awesome.

#4 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

I have the 3 roller Monster. It's awesome.

Double post HAHA!!! I've got a 2 roller. How much difference does a 3 roller make?

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:23 AM

Double post HAHA!!! I've got a 2 roller. How much difference does a 3 roller make?

So nice it had to be said twice. hahaMy understanding is that the 3-roller will provide you a slightly more consistent crush as well as a little less shredding with a smaller primary gap. The idea with both is that the first gap (stationary gap between the top two rollers) roughs up the grain and "prepares" it for the second gap (adjustable gap between the top roller and the bottom roller). It kinda eases it into the crush rather than accomplishing it all with one gap.Now I will say that the difference is small. If you have a 2-roller giving a good consistent crush, I wouldnt spent the time energy and money upgrading. I cant imagine anyone with a well-working 2-roller going "man I wish I had a 3-roller!" Similarly, if someone is looking at getting a mill and cash is really tight, they shouldnt think they are settling for something far less or inferior or anything like that. It is one of those things, if you have a little extra money and want something that is just a little better, then a 3-roller might be a good idea.I will also admit there is a little bit of macho, BS, bragging rights, coolest toy kinda thing in the 3-rollers as well. :cheers:

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I have that mill (or one close to it) and I can't recommend it enough. I got tired of struggling with my BC so I donated it to the club and bought a 3-roller MM. As Lamont said, if you already have a 2-roller, it's probably not worth the upgrade. But if you're buying one new, it can't hurt if you have the money. I used mine to crush some raw wheat (only slightly softer than granite on the Mohs scale) for a lambic and it ate through it like it was Fruity Pebbles.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

I need to get a mill and start buying bulk grains. I'm spending about 2X what I should be spending from the LHBS'. 4 months worth of bulk grain would pay for the mill.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

raw wheat? won't that just gun up the rollers? :1zhelp:

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18082 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

raw wheat? won't that just gun up the rollers? :1zhelp:

Raw wheat is hard as a rock...

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64150 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

It sounds like you dumped a handful of pea gravel in there when you grind it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users