#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Got this in my email today. Im effected. Cut and paste....

Austin Homebrew Supply has received communication from a very limited number of customers that they recently have had fraudulent charges on their credit or debit card. We are conducting a thorough 3rd party forensic investigation and to date have not uncovered a breach on our end, or identified any network infrastructure or website vulnerabilities. We have changed our merchant service credit card processor because we suspect the source of the problem lies in that direction. If you placed an order with Austin Homebrew Supply from January 7th through February 6th, please check your credit card or bank statements for any charges that you do not recognize. Call your bank to reverse these charges. As an added precaution, we recommend that you have your bank or credit card company issue you a new card. Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We really appreciate your business and support. Forrest Rogness President Austin Homebrew Supply, LLC

Edited by BlKtRe, 16 February 2011 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54743 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Wow. I like those guys a lot and have spoken with Forrest numerous times. Did you say that your account was one that was affected? Sorry, Brother. Sounds like Austin is not to be pointed at though. I don't think I had an order in to them during that timeframe but I'm going back to check anyway. Thanks for the heads-up.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

I should clarify. I purchased from them during the time frame, but so far my acct. has not been hit. Trying to decide if I should cancel my card yet once again. Just went thru this a few months ago. Its a PIA.

#4 Tankard

Tankard

Comptroller of Secret Identities

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:27 PM

I stopped purchasing from them after reading some of Forrests' posts on HBT. The last straw was when he had a "HUGE hop sale!", that resulted in his hop prices only being $0.50 - $1.00 higher than comparable online brew shops. Lots of HBT people would sing his praises, and those who didn't were usually reprimanded by the moderators. Midwestsupplies and williamsbrewing get the majority of my online business nowadays. Never had a problem with either of them.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54743 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

I stopped purchasing from them after reading some of Forrests' posts on HBT. The last straw was when he had a "HUGE hop sale!", that resulted in his hop prices only being $0.50 - $1.00 higher than comparable online brew shops. Lots of HBT people would sing his praises, and those who didn't were usually reprimanded by the moderators. Midwestsupplies and williamsbrewing get the majority of my online business nowadays. Never had a problem with either of them.

I order from those two as well. Sometimes the prices at Williams can get a little high, but they package their hops in 6oz bags which is convenient and the prices are usually very good for varieties I can't find elsewhere.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

They have pretty good deals on some things. Not so great deals on others. I buy from whoever has the best price on what I'm looking for.

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

I don't buy anything from Austin other than some pieces of equipment every now and again. I did buy some Perls a few weeks ago because they were on sale for $22.99. Great deal. I had excellent service with them on these and also a 25g Mega pot I purchased from them years ago.All my hops and malt are bulk buys our club organizes. I cant afford to buy ingredients at online pricing. I know I'm bad for not supporting the LHBS. But I do get yeast from them and an occasional hard to find hop.

#8 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

I know Forrest very well. I am pretty sure it's nothing on their part, but yea, I order from them pretty much exclusively, and three times within this timeframe. Got my email this morning too and looks like some mofaux has helped themselves to several friggin XBox's on my dime. Quite a hefty amount too. Card is now canceled. Frakkin somebitchen thieves. I hate them with a passion.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54743 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I know Forrest very well. I am pretty sure it's nothing on their part, but yea, I order from them pretty much exclusively, and three times within this timeframe. Got my email this morning too and looks like some mofaux has helped themselves to several friggin XBox's on my dime. Quite a hefty amount too. Card is now canceled. Frakkin somebitchen thieves. I hate them with a passion.

Yeah, that's just not right. Their mothers brought them up wrong, that's what it is. I have had this happen to me and all I can say is buy me a drink first. Bastages. I raise a glass that as few of us homebrewers are affected as possible. Cheers.

#10 Lonnie Mac

Lonnie Mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBacliff, TX

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, that's just not right. Their mothers brought them up wrong, that's what it is. I have had this happen to me and all I can say is buy me a drink first. Bastages. I raise a glass that as few of us homebrewers are affected as possible. Cheers.

Yea, looks like a good friend that lives 90 miles from me had his whole account drained dry 50 bucks at a time due to this. I'll bet Forrest is as pissed as all of us. I sent Forrest all my info for his IT fellas. Maybe they can catch the 14 year old mofaux sitting in his mom's basement playing with all my new XBox's.

#11 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

I stopped using my debit card for online purchases, and for purchases when I am out of town. I suppose that still won't protect me from thieving sumsOfbitches. I now use a credit card for that sort of stuff. Sorry to hear about your problems Lonnie. It sucks.

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16545 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

I havent been hit yet. Should I cancel my card?

#13 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I got a call last week from my bank's fraud department to confirm some suspicious charges on my credit card, which turned out to be fraudulent. I received this same email today, so I guess that's where my number was compromised. I was fortunate because they caught it before any damage was done.

#14 pete maz

pete maz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationInman, SC

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:59 AM

I think the XBox thing must be popular. I haven't ordered from Austin HB in years, but we recently got a call from our credit card company saying we'd been hacked. I have no reason to believe AHB was the cause. The charges were to Microsoft, and the lady said they were probably XBox related. I guess they're looking out for that type of thing, and called us before any more damage was done, so I can't complain too much.

#15 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:25 AM

I havent been hit yet. Should I cancel my card?

I would and I have in the past at the slightest ripple of a risk. The brief inconvenience is more than made up for with peace of mind.

#16 Tankard

Tankard

Comptroller of Secret Identities

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sure doesn't seem like "a very limited number of customers." I wonder if the breach really was on their end.

Edited by Tankard, 17 February 2011 - 11:28 AM.

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

I was defrauded recently but not through Austin HB. Since I pay EVERYTHING with credit card including most of my bills it is a huge PITA to switch the old number for the new one with all of my payees. Makes me want to take a rubber hose to the offender. However, I have a great credit card bank. They caught it for me and just send me papers to sign. Then they took care of the rest. It was pretty simple on that end actually.Hope they work that out quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users