24 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

I am looking at some recipes for a beer similar to Hair of the Dog's Adam. The recipes call for peat smoked malt in a very small percentage, about 3-4%. I have 25# of smoked malt on hand and would rather use that. Does anyone have an idea of how much would be a good amount? I know there are vast differences between the 2 malts but I was going to go with about 20% of the smoked malt.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

I am looking at some recipes for a beer similar to Hair of the Dog's Adam. The recipes call for peat smoked malt in a very small percentage, about 3-4%. I have 25# of smoked malt on hand and would rather use that. Does anyone have an idea of how much would be a good amount? I know there are vast differences between the 2 malts but I was going to go with about 20% of the smoked malt.

I think there is a lot of variation in smoked malt but 20% doesn't sound that far off to me since a lot of people use 100% smoked malt for some beers.

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Stay away from Peat. Nasty stuff when overused. Overuse is if its in your grist...Lol. Id stay with the smoked malt for sure. Around 5% is decent I think without being one dimensional.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Stay away from Peat. Nasty stuff when overused. Overuse is if its in your grist...Lol.

Now that is funny!

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Who was the guy back on the green board that put peat malt in everything he made? Remember him?

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

Who was the guy back on the green board that put peat malt in everything he made? Remember him?

Mr. Peat, and those beers were undrinkable - and that's being kind about it. The answer to "Is my beer ruined?" is yes, if peated malt is in it. I'm getting queasy just thinking about it.............

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Mr. Peat, and those beers were undrinkable - and that's being kind about it. The answer to "Is my beer ruined?" is yes, if peated malt is in it. I'm getting queasy just thinking about it.............

I remember that guy. Didnt he puke and pass out on Jimvy stairs?

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

I remember that guy. Didnt he puke and pass out on Jimvy stairs?

Well, he was the first anyway...........

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

You guys met him?

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

You guys met him?

Like moths to a flame, Dan was attracted to him. No surprise, except Dan can hold his own :stabby:

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Peat Smoked Malt vs. Smoked Malt peat wins, it is very strong.now do you want it in your beer is another question.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Ok, so no peat malt .. got it!

now do you want it in your beer is another question.

What I want is a subtle backgroung smoke. I tihnk I will start with 10-15% smoked malt and go from there. The recipe breaks down to: 76.12% Marris Otter 4.36% C-65 13.84% Smoked Malt 3.04% Munich 0.90% Chocolate 1.73% Black Malt

#13 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

We used 5% in a Cherry Smoked Malt Porter that went into one of our barrels. That amount was in the background.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

why would someone do this?

#15 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

why would someone do this?

I always thought he was just trolling because the general consensus there (as here) was that if you used any peat at all, a tiiiiinnnnyyyy amount was all you needed. So then he comes in and starts claiming that he put peat in everything. I assumed he had read all those threads and was just saying that to get a rise out of us. But if DJ and blktre met the guy and drank his peat-infested beers then clearly the answer to your question is that insanity takes many forms.

#16 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

I always thought he was just trolling because the general consensus there (as here) was that if you used any peat at all, a tiiiiinnnnyyyy amount was all you needed. So then he comes in and starts claiming that he put peat in everything. I assumed he had read all those threads and was just saying that to get a rise out of us. But if DJ and blktre met the guy and spit out his peat-infested beers then clearly the answer to your question is that insanity takes many forms.

that's a bit more accurate I would imagine Jimvy still has places in his back yard where grass still won't grow.....

Edited by djinkc, 14 October 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

:rolf:

#18 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

I remember Mr. Peat, I also remember Drewslu rushing to the rescue of Jimmyv's steps........ good times. Oh and his beers were horrible to say the least and I didn't have any until my pallet was completely spent.

#19 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

*shudder*

#20 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

At my advice, a friend of mine used just 0.5 oz peat smoked malt in his last 5-gallon batch of Scotch ale, and it was still WAY too much. From now on, I think I'm going to be recommending about 2 kernels per gallon. Yes, that's right, about 2 KERNELS. Because even tiny fractions of an ounce are way too much. Seriously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users