#1 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Spoke with a semi-local brewpub about purchasing a half dozen bags of malt and the brand they have on hand is Muntons Whole Pale Malt (Pearl). My normal base malt is Briess 2-Row and I'm wondering how well the two malts match up and the effect it is going to have on my recipes. Anybody have any experience with the Muntons Whole Pale Malt (Pearl)?

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12964 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Curious myself. I just cracked open a 50 lb. sack and brewed an IPA with it this past Friday, so it's still fermenting. From Cryer's website:Pearl Pale Ale Malt: Used extensively on the West Coast of the USA in IPA's etc this variety is a great workhorse in small and large breweries. The grains are fully modified and it gives a great extract and full malt flavour profile.

#3 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Very malty profile. Low grainy-ness ( I guess you could call that tannins). My favorite pale malt.

Edited by Stout_fan, 28 August 2009 - 12:01 PM.

#4 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

Very malty profile. Low grainy-ness ( I guess you could call that tannins). My favorite pale malt.

Sounds good to me, I think I'll pick up a handful of bags.

#5 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Wanted to bring this back up to see if anyone had any further comments on Pearl.

I came in to about 15 pounds of this today.  Probably can't brew with it for another 2-3 weeks though.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Wanted to bring this back up to see if anyone had any further comments on Pearl.I came in to about 15 pounds of this today.  Probably can't brew with it for another 2-3 weeks though.

How it's malted and kilned probably has more effect on the flavor than the variety of barley. So who is the maltster?

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Sorry, should have specified.  Thomas Fawcett & Sons.  Here is what I found:

"[color=rgb(47,47,47);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]A floor-malted barley malt from a single barley variety (Pearl), and produced by a centuries-old, family-owned maltster. Fawcett's primary barley variety used by several of England's largest and finest breweries. As a base malt, Pearl lends a dry breadiness. Recommended for traditional Pale Ales"[/color]

[color=rgb(47,47,47);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]I plan on  using it for a pale ale.[/color]

#8 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Oohh...thats good stuff. I like it anyhow. Talking of it makes me want it now...

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Sounds yummy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users