Photo
- - - - -

Florida House Bill 1329 "Growler Law" DEFEATED!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Whoo hoo! Dead on arrival. We did a blitzkrieg email, calling, change.org, and written campaign to kill the bill. It was punitive against local craft brewers. The Distributors trade org and by proxy AB-InBev bought some house lawmakers with campaign contributions, but we prevailed.

The law would have all but killed new small local breweries in FL. All because craft beer is eating into the AB-InBev pocketbook.

Now we just have to defeat the senate bill (7120) on Wednesday and we can focus on getting our own good bill passed.

Cheers!!!

#2 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

wait so they bought lawyers to make the sale of growlers illegal? 

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

wait so they bought lawyers to make the sale of growlers illegal? 

No, they bought legislators so they could make selling growlers legal, but make new tasting rooms illegal, forbid expansion of current breweries for more locations with tasting rooms, and a whole host of other stupid shit that is completely anti small brewery and anti jobs. 

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

Son of a bitch. Senate bill 7120 made it through committee. This was the companion to that house bill. They kept it off the radar until the last minute. We only had about 2 days to get our campaign going. Not nearly as many signatures.

Here's some of what this complete piece of shit does...

The amendment changes the current structure on how breweries may sell beer to-go, i.e. for consumption off-premises, by PROHIBITING them from selling their own beer packaged in bottles or cans UNLESS it was purchased from a distributor.

Additionally, it provides an exemption for distributors as to the come-to-rest requirement pertaining to Florida beer. What does this scenario look like? A distributor can come to your brewery, purchase your beer, and then sell it back to you at a higher price in order for you to sell it in your tasting room. If they are even more malicious, since you lose control of your beer once it is sold to them, they could limit the amount they sell back to you or even refuse to sell you your own beer.

You know what other modes of business operate like this? Organized crime. I'm so freaking mad right now. We are gonna pull out the big guns nows. It's time to shoot these assclowns in the balls.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

This is all such a bunch of bullshit. On one hand, you have the big boys who could easily buy attorneys and also lawmakers and make sure that they crush the little guys and on the other hand I'm sure the lawmakers (who were bought) will say that "this is the responsible thing to do because it involves alcohol and we, as lawmakers, need to protect our citizens from the dangers of alcohol and limit the ways that these beastly small brewpubs try to cater to people"... or some such bullshit. As if it's not tricky enough for the small guy to get into it as it is. Seriously dude... shoot the assclowns in the balls. Or... STAITB. Cool new brewboard acronym.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

This is all such a bunch of bullshit. On one hand, you have the big boys who could easily buy attorneys and also lawmakers and make sure that they crush the little guys and on the other hand I'm sure the lawmakers (who were bought) will say that "this is the responsible thing to do because it involves alcohol and we, as lawmakers, need to protect our citizens from the dangers of alcohol and limit the ways that these beastly small brewpubs try to cater to people"... or some such bullshit. As if it's not tricky enough for the small guy to get into it as it is. Seriously dude... shoot the assclowns in the balls. Or... STAITB. Cool new brewboard acronym.

KDSITN

#7 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

KDSITN

I still don't know what that means.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Kick Deerslyr in the nuts. C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it! :P

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

it's the new +1

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

The good news is that the bill has a long way to go before it could become law. I'm in contact with the Florida Brewers Guild lobbyist in what we can do to raise money and signatures for a possible knock out punch. Go after their beloved three tier system.

#11 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Thanks.  Had some distractions lately and fell behind.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

glad things aren't going this way in my state - best of luck.  fight the good fight!

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

glad things aren't going this way in my state - best of luck.  fight the good fight!

The one thing that FL has against it is that it's been a wind fall state for Budweiser forever. As of about 10 years ago it was over 70% budsweiser products. Over the years they have made A LOT of money in FL. So when they see the market in one of their best states decreasing, they start worrying and start throwing money at senators and state reps to try and protect their cash cow. Well guess what? No matter what they do, the craft beer drinkers are not going to go back to drinking Budweiser, and in the meantime their company looks like an evil empire filled with douchebags that don't give a shit about the beer. So #### Budweiser right in the ass. You want to compete with craft beer? Brew a good beer and quit trying to stop craft beer from doing business. Makes me want to punch someone.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Yeah this kind of shit fries me.

First of all, I wouldn't blame Budweiser/AB-inbev. They're doing exactly what any rational business would do. If you can buy barriers to market entry you do it.  If you can regulate your competition away, you do it. This is how most behemoth companies persist for so long. They weren't created for, and they aren't designed to have anyone's best interest in mind but their own. Blame the whores AB-InBev is buying. Their only job is to have your best interest in mind. Never works that way though.

Righties will readily scrap bottom up small business creation and innovation if you pay them. Lefties will readily scrap regulation and "fair business practices" if you pay them. Their respective philosophies are nothing more than window dressing for the public at large to argue about. While the fleecing continues...

*hops off soap box*

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54014 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I think Rich makes a good point about how beer lovers will boycott AB-Inbev products and possibly make it all backfire. I know this doesn't necessarily make things easier for the little guy but it does paint the big guys in a bad light (as long as everyone is paying attention) and could benefit craft beer in the long run. You know, I probably come from the most corrupt state in the country and Illinois was WAY, WAY behind in small/craft brewery openings because the red tape in our state made it so that no one could possibly afford to open a brewery let alone get any distributor to even look in their direction. We have more breweries now so things are changing which is good. The Evil Empire does not make the best beer.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

More Florida wisdom.

https://www.rawstory...ack-for-resale/

#17 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Be calm.  That was a bill filed at the behest of AB to scare the craft brewers.  It has pretty much fizzled.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

Be calm.  That was a bill filed at the behest of AB to scare the craft brewers.  It has pretty much fizzled.

Nope, Senate Bill 1714 is 7120's reincarnation after being amended. It's going to be in committee in 2 minutes.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

We're trying to find house reps and senators that will sponsor a three tier killing bill. The distributors won't stop trying to kill craft beer until they are forced to play nice by, god forbid, having to compete for business like everyone else.

I know there are some dangers associated with that like ABInBev coming in and buying up a bunch of distributors, but that is the price you pay to operate in a free market. Someone will fill the void.

#20 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

Nope, Senate Bill 1714 is 7120's reincarnation after being amended. It's going to be in committee in 2 minutes.

Solid meh. This is the same drama that accompanied eliminating restrictions on bottle size to keep European beer out of the Florida market.  The barriers fall eventually: brush wars get fought, fights break out, cops get called, finger prints get taken, it gets done in the end.  Been involved in the process in one form or another since the early 80s.  The craft brewing industry needs to get its act together and work our "jobs governor" and skip the small shit.  You invite him to new brewery openings so he can take credit for jobs he didn't create then hit him up to help the entrepreneurial spirit, blah, blah, blah.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users