11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

I have tried to use the right malts for the style in most cases. An English malt for bitters, EPAs, ESBs, etc., German varieties for German beers, standard domestic 2-row for American styles, etc. I have been big on Rahr Pale Ale malt lately and I'm on my 2nd or 3rd sack in a row. It occurs to me that we have a lot of malts (just base malts) to choose from and more keep coming out everyday. It's tough to get up close & personal with all of these malts and know exactly what they're going to do for you. The Rahr Pale Ale malt has got a lot of depth and seems to create a solid, malty backbone. I have a batch of MLPA where I upped the gypsum a little and also used a smidge more hops than I ordinarily might so the balance came out nicely. I have a pale ale I bittered with Magnum and then used Willamette late and while the beer is good, I may have mashed too high because it's REALLY malty and has a smidge more sweetness than I would ordinarily want. I have an Amber Ale that is similar. I also made a blonde ale with the RPA and some Vienna which came out nicely but again, the grain has such a malty depth to it, a lower mash temp may have worked a little better in the blonde. It also has a bit more color and Martin has even suggested that people using B'N'W enter a higher lovibond number for this malt... 6.5L, IIRC. It might be the type of thing you only find out by using it. I might try to keep some Canada Malting 2-row on hand for beers where that deeper character is not necessary. Anyone else use the Rahr Pale Ale malt and have any opinions on it?

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Ken, I think you are more tuned to the malts you use more so then most brewers. Reason being, you make a lot of balanced or malt forward beers. I've used Rahr Pale Ale for most of my American styles. Honestly though I don't think I could tell you its character from tasting a beer brewed with it because it's often masked by hops or a stronger character malt.

I'm making some MLPA again soon and I'll use it and try and be more critical in evaluating it.

Base malts I am really familiar with: Weyermann Pils & Crisp Maris Otter. I use them all the time for alt, kolsch, and stouts.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I have tried to use the right malts for the style in most cases. An English malt for bitters, EPAs, ESBs, etc., German varieties for German beers, standard domestic 2-row for American styles, etc. I have been big on Rahr Pale Ale malt lately and I'm on my 2nd or 3rd sack in a row. It occurs to me that we have a lot of malts (just base malts) to choose from and more keep coming out everyday. It's tough to get up close & personal with all of these malts and know exactly what they're going to do for you. The Rahr Pale Ale malt has got a lot of depth and seems to create a solid, malty backbone. I have a batch of MLPA where I upped the gypsum a little and also used a smidge more hops than I ordinarily might so the balance came out nicely. I have a pale ale I bittered with Magnum and then used Willamette late and while the beer is good, I may have mashed too high because it's REALLY malty and has a smidge more sweetness than I would ordinarily want. I have an Amber Ale that is similar. I also made a blonde ale with the RPA and some Vienna which came out nicely but again, the grain has such a malty depth to it, a lower mash temp may have worked a little better in the blonde. It also has a bit more color and Martin has even suggested that people using B'N'W enter a higher lovibond number for this malt... 6.5L, IIRC. It might be the type of thing you only find out by using it. I might try to keep some Canada Malting 2-row on hand for beers where that deeper character is not necessary. Anyone else use the Rahr Pale Ale malt and have any opinions on it?

Glad you posted this. I have a sack of it that is unopened but I plan to put it to good use soon.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Since Rahr calls this a PALE ALE MALT, I wonder how purists would feel if you used it in your finest British beers. I could easily see this malt in a bitter, English Pale Ale, ESB, Northern Brown, etc. I just picked up some 1968 London ESB to take a stab at this 312 Urban Pale Ale recipe and between the deep, malty character of the pale ale malt and the low attenuation of the 1968, I'm thinking that a lllooowww mash temp would be necessary.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Since Rahr calls this a PALE ALE MALT, I wonder how purists would feel if you used it in your finest British beers. I could easily see this malt in a bitter, English Pale Ale, ESB, Northern Brown, etc. I just picked up some 1968 London ESB to take a stab at this 312 Urban Pale Ale recipe and between the deep, malty character of the pale ale malt and the low attenuation of the 1968, I'm thinking that a lllooowww mash temp would be necessary.

i think it would be great for british beers if it's anything like CMC pale ale malt.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I just want to break out into song;

"Getting to know you... getting to grind all about you.... getting to sparge you.... getting to brew all about you...."

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I just want to break out into song; "Getting to know you... getting to grind all about you.... getting to sparge you.... getting to brew all about you...."

You are a twisted man Brother Poptop, twisted indeed. :P

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:31 PM

Generally, we drink beers....we don't read them!  As long as it tastes like a English beer, it doesn't matter how you get there.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Generally, we drink beers....we don't read them!  As long as it tastes like a English beer, it doesn't matter how you get there.

KDSITN

#10 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

EXACTLY what denny said.  I know people in my old club that won the bitter category more than once in comps using CMC Pale Ale Malt. 

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

i think it would be great for british beers if it's anything like CMC pale ale malt.

I've made very convinvcing British styles with CMC and Great Western Pale Ale Malts.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I've made very convinvcing British styles with CMC and Great Western Pale Ale Malts.

Yup

another really good one is Gambrinus ESB malt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users