#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Brewing that cherry smoked malt saison sunday. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 11 April 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Thanks Ken, I'll look for it tomorrow.  I do have a rather fantastic Saison that I bottled a few weeks ago.  Not to Austrian style of course... But there will be good beer on hand.

The Stiegl beers are all pretty gold & wimpy. If you do end up finding it and sampling it, make a mental note of the acidic "tang" of the beer. It's got that crisp, refreshing, fresh-cut grass snappiness to it. One of those 16.9 oz cans would do nicely in the warm, schputy Coconut Creek weather. Cheers & have fun with your Austria night... sounds awesome!

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

oh me me!!

oktoberfest this weekend!!  the sweet sulfury smell of 2308 starter is filling the corner of my kitchen :)

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

oh me me!! oktoberfest this weekend!!  the sweet sulfury smell of 2308 starter is filling the corner of my kitchen :)

For real. The 2308 working on Jamil's Vienna in my primary fridge is starting to stink up the joint. I was just down there, opened the fridge and gave it a slight swirl and then put it back. A minute later my wife came into the storage closet that's right off my brew bunker and gave me a look like, Dude, they have medicine for that... Serious sulfur going on.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

For real. The 2308 working on Jamil's Vienna in my primary fridge is starting to stink up the joint. I was just down there, opened the fridge and gave it a slight swirl and then put it back. A minute later my wife came into the storage closet that's right off my brew bunker and gave me a look like, Dude, they have medicine for that... Serious sulfur going on.

it's part of the magic.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

it's part of the magic.

I know that but try to explain it to a non-brewer! When people come into my humble brew bunker I say, Yep, yep... this is where the magic happens.  :lol:

#27 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

I am planning a 'clean up the specialty malts' Foreign Extra Stout on Sunday. :chug:

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64058 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Any thought on your recipe.  I tweaked one of mine again for this same reason.  Around 3.5% now

Yeah, I've thought about it a bit.  Actually, the last session beer was more of a 'small' APA.  I think it was about 3.8% ~35IBUs.  It just didn't work for me.  This time I'm looking more for the front end (body, abv, bitterness) of a pale ale and the back end of an IIPA.  A lot more character malts, higher mash temp and a shit ton of late hops. Going with WY1968 over 1056 as well.  Hopefully, mid-4s on ABV.  No 60 minute hops.  All 30 mins or less.  Pretty much a Pliny hop schedule without  the bittering hops.

#29 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, I've thought about it a bit.  Actually, the last session beer was more of a 'small' APA.  I think it was about 3.8% ~35IBUs.  It just didn't work for me.  This time I'm looking more for the front end (body, abv, bitterness) of a pale ale and the back end of an IIPA.  A lot more character malts, higher mash temp and a shit ton of late hops. Going with WY1968 over 1056 as well.  Hopefully, mid-4s on ABV.  No 60 minute hops.  All 30 mins or less.  Pretty much a Pliny hop schedule without  the bittering hops.

Love the Fullers strain.  Sounds delish.  Brew it Man!!!

#30 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Any thought on your recipe.  I tweaked one of mine again for this same reason.  Around 3.5% now

Mike where are you on this  now??  I'm playing with ideas.  I've got that idea on the recipe thread and then there was my ordinary american... I don't know where I want to go from here but I need a hoppy beer.

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

The Stiegl beers are all pretty gold & wimpy. If you do end up finding it and sampling it, make a mental note of the acidic "tang" of the beer. It's got that crisp, refreshing, fresh-cut grass snappiness to it. One of those 16.9 oz cans would do nicely in the warm, schputy Coconut Creek weather. Cheers & have fun with your Austria night... sounds awesome!

Will do. Schputy? Schputy? Humid? Hot?

#32 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

oh me me!!

oktoberfest this weekend!!  the sweet sulfury smell of 2308 starter is filling the corner of my kitchen :)

it's part of the magic.

I know that but try to explain it to a non-brewer! When people come into my humble brew bunker I say, Yep, yep... this is where the magic happens.  :lol:

have a 3L starter on the stirplate of 2308 as we speak, doing a Dort

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Will do.Schputy? Schputy? Humid? Hot?

Sorry. Schputzy. Schpootzy. You know, hot & humid. :POMFG... I forgot how brutal 2565 was. This Kolsch #1 fermented for 15 days between 60-62° and then I took it out of the tub of water so I could put another ale in there. Today, I pop the top on the Kolsch and the surface is covered with big, pillowy bubbles. I start racking and it looks like apple sauce. I start getting to the bottom and big, golfball-sized blobs start popping up from the bottom of the fermenter, causing some disturbance in the beer which makes more golfball-sized blobs of yeast pop up. Ugh. The secondary seriously looks like it's filled with apple sauce but whatevs. I know I have gotten 2565 brilliantly clear before. I did rack it onto a gel solution so it's only a matter of time before it settles. Cheers Beerheads.

#34 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Sorry. Schputzy. Schpootzy. You know, hot & humid. :POMFG... I forgot how brutal 2565 was. This Kolsch #1 fermented for 15 days between 60-62° and then I took it out of the tub of water so I could put another ale in there. Today, I pop the top on the Kolsch and the surface is covered with big, pillowy bubbles. I start racking and it looks like apple sauce. I start getting to the bottom and big, golfball-sized blobs start popping up from the bottom of the fermenter, causing some disturbance in the beer which makes more golfball-sized blobs of yeast pop up. Ugh. The secondary seriously looks like it's filled with apple sauce but whatevs. I know I have gotten 2565 brilliantly clear before. I did rack it onto a gel solution so it's only a matter of time before it settles. Cheers Beerheads.

This is the end of the world as Ken knows it!!!

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

#35 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Brewing that cherry smoked malt saison sunday. 

Let us know how that turns out.

Sunday I'm getting into the malts from the club group buy.  IPA to start.

#36 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Let us know how that turns out.

Sunday I'm getting into the malts from the club group buy.  IPA to start.

Yup. Ive got a Stones Matt Im going to reanalyze tomorrow. I know the age and how it was handled. I might drop the percentage of cherry smoked malt. 

IpA is my favorite. What hops?

Edited by BlKtRe, 11 April 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#37 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Mashing tomorrow. First time in 6 years I think. Seems like both the quantity and quality of brewing info has grown exponentially since last time I brewed.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

Mashing tomorrow. First time in 6 years I think. Seems like both the quantity and quality of brewing info has grown exponentially since last time I brewed.

Truth. Lots of new grains, hops and yeast strains as well. Welcome back.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Turns out my wife will be out for a good chunk of the afternoon & evening and I never pass up a chance to brew when my wife is out. So I have a blob of 2278 ready for harvesting and I'm going to make a bastardization of a Czech Lager... pilsner malt plus some Munich 6 and Munich 10, Carafoam and Carahell to an SRM of 5. Then 4 ounces of hops: Santiam, Mt. Hood and Hallertau. About 6 AAU to start and the rest added in the last 10 minutes to 35 IBUs and fermented with 2278. Hoppy(ish) Czech Lager.

#40 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

have a 3L starter on the stirplate of 2308 as we speak, doing a Dort

doh!

2124, my bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic