#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

httpss://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433436998/brewjacket-immersion-lager-beer-without-a-refriger

Interesting...

I usually don't like sticking things down in my beer for contamination concerns, but that might not be bad if you sanitize like you do everything else.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

indeed.  also it seems like it would be pretty inefficient without some serious insulation around the fermentor.  i've also never known TECs (which is what I'm guessing this is) to be all that effective at cooling large amounts of mass.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

indeed.  also it seems like it would be pretty inefficient without some serious insulation around the fermentor.  i've also never known TECs (which is what I'm guessing this is) to be all that effective at cooling large amounts of mass.

Scroll down the page, they have a jacket to accompany it just for that purpose.  

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Scroll down the page, they have a jacket to accompany it just for that purpose.  

i'd think they'd always show it with the jacket since it seems like an obvious needed addition.

i wonder if the parts right around the heat exchangers would get too cold and affect the yeast...

Edited by TheGuv, 10 April 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

i'd think they'd always show it with the jacket since it seems like an obvious needed addition.

Also for a lower tech solution, just get a big tub of water, put your carboy in it and add frozen bottles of ice as needed to maintain whatever temp you need.  That still takes up a good amount of room though, so a device like this would be great if it works well.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

Also for a lower tech solution, just get a big tub of water, put your carboy in it and add frozen bottles of ice as needed to maintain whatever temp you need.  That still takes up a good amount of room though, so a device like this would be great if it works well.

for the right price of course ;)

if i seem negative it's b/c my job all day is to look for technical problems in things and solve them.  sometimes i forget to turn that part of me off.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Doesn't B3 already make an insulated conical with a Peltier cooling unit, and a heating belt?  Can't remember his name but the Cedar Creek guy did it with an Ice Probe.  Yeah, the thing is portable, and maybe it works.  When I messed with Peltiers they were marginally good a holding temps, and not very good at knocking temps down unless you threw a lot of electricity in the mix.  i can't see throwing green stuff at this kickstart.

#8 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

For the price a fridge would be much more useful or a temp controlled freezer.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

Gets a big 'ol 'meh' from me.  Especially for $300.

A couple of peltiers attached to an aluminum rod for three hundy?  Nah.

Cool DIY project.  It wouldn't be my top choice to commercialize.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

Doesn't B3 already make an insulated conical with a Peltier cooling unit, and a heating belt?  Can't remember his name but the Cedar Creek guy did it with an Ice Probe.  Yeah, the thing is portable, and maybe it works.  When I messed with Peltiers they were marginally good a holding temps, and not very good at knocking temps down unless you threw a lot of electricity in the mix.  i can't see throwing green stuff at this kickstart.

they work great if you are okay with very slow cooling or only cooling a tiny amount of mass.  again - what i've seen and experienced.  most of my applicatations haven't been very high power though.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Gets a big 'ol 'meh' from me.  Especially for $300.

A couple of peltiers attached to an aluminum rod for three hundy?  Nah.

Cool DIY project.  It wouldn't be my top choice to commercialize.

kdsitn

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

they work great if you are okay with very slow cooling or only cooling a tiny amount of mass.  again - what i've seen and experienced.  most of my applicatations haven't been very high power though.

I think Mntbrewer has one, I wonder if he can comment on the time it takes.  I have used a peltier before to cool a beer to 50 to ferment in a carboy before having any other option.  It worked but like you said it is slow and it was a power hog.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

THIS^^^

I'll let somebody else try that thing first....

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

If they can get the price down to $100 I think there's a market.  At $300 it's a couple of unit s a month type product.

#15 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

If they can get the price down to $100 I think there's a market.  At $300 it's a couple of unit s a month type product.

This.  For the money they want I'd be getting a small chest freezer and a temp controller or a fridge. 

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

This.  For the money they want I'd be getting a small chest freezer and a temp controller or a fridge. 

Which would hold several fermenters, as opposed to $300 each using one of those.

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Which would hold several fermenters, as opposed to $300 each using one of those.

True, and also how many homebrewers brew in an apartment? I kinda think the majority are homeowners or at least renters that have enough space.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

True, and also how many homebrewers brew in an apartment? I kinda think the majority are homeowners or at least renters that have enough space.

Ya know, I've learned through the years that you just can't assume other people brew like you do.

#19 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28427 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

A yup.  And if you fall out of favor with brewing you have a useful item for other things.

I started in a townhouse (no garage or basement) apartment, I had a collar freezer kegorator in the living room. :P

Honestly though a chest freezer in the corner of a apartment would also be a great containment device for fermenting if it blows off, etc.

I really don't see the draw to this thing.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

i think the actual price it needs to be is about $50 for the TEC device and then maybe $10 for an insulated jacket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users