#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54005 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

dorito?  wtf???

I know. Corn chips? No one there was even eating anything... just drinking beer.

#22 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

chances are most asshole are drinking bud lite or something similar.  it's just straight up statistics.

About 50% of beers consumed in America are an ABInBev product. 

#23 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10730 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I know. Corn chips? No one there was even eating anything... just drinking beer.

did she maybe mean fritos instead of doritos?

#24 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

About 50% of beers consumed in America are an ABInBev product. 

Here are some numbers....

https://m.theatlanti...utm_source=digg

#25 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

So what's up with Lagunitas' huge gain? The bar on the main floor of my office building has the IPA on one of two taps now. $3 during happy hour. My grocery store carries it too, but they carry Belgians and Stone beers.

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54005 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

So what's up with Lagunitas' huge gain? The bar on the main floor of my office building has the IPA on one of two taps now. $3 during happy hour. My grocery store carries it too, but they carry Belgians and Stone beers.

I was downtown a couple of weeks ago and went to a place (the line was out the door so we went across the street) and everywhere I looked the Lagunitas IPA was everywhere. We ended up at three different spots and it was the most visible beer in every place we went.

#27 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

Lagunitas Brewing undertakes big expansion

#28 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

Surprised that "When do you add the alcohol?" didn't make the list.

#29 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

isn't that illegal?

#30 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

Perhaps she was very sensitive to DMS. I recently had a Yuengling Lager that was bit heavy on DMS, which I'm not usually very sensitive to, and I can imagine that coming across as "corn chips" to someone that doesn't know what to expect.

On the other hand, it could be that she had never had a beer that had malt flavor before and didn't know how to classify it and associated it with something else that tastes grainy.

Or she was just drunk.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

Perhaps she was very sensitive to DMS. I recently had a Yuengling Lager that was bit heavy on DMS, which I'm not usually very sensitive to, and I can imagine that coming across as "corn chips" to someone that doesn't know what to expect.

On the other hand, it could be that she had never had a beer that had malt flavor before and didn't know how to classify it and associated it with something else that tastes grainy.

Or she was just drunk.

what threw me off is she really meant fritos while i was thinking of something with nacho cheese flavor :lol:

corn chips makes more sense though if DMS was an issue.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54005 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:48 AM

... and the beer was made with pilsner malt so if a tiny bit of DMS was there, I could see that reaction. Fritos, Doritos, same thing. She said "Original flavor" meaning no cool ranch, no nacho cheese, etc.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:58 AM

I've tasted a few beers in the past that had a background flavor that reminded me of the Kellogg's Corn Pops cereal I used to eat when I was a kid. All of them were beers that likely had pilsner malt as the base. I've always wondered if that was DMS or what. One of them was a Gose, which was an interesting experience.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

... and the beer was made with pilsner malt so if a tiny bit of DMS was there, I could see that reaction. Fritos, Doritos, same thing. She said "Original flavor" meaning no cool ranch, no nacho cheese, etc.

i don't know that i've ever seen doritos "original flavor". 

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64055 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Wow, Kona is in the top 10 craft beer producers?  That is shocking.  I probably would've come up with 100 breweries before Kona.  Are they really that big out west?  They're pretty non-existent around here.

I can see a pilsner-based beer getting a corn chip reference.  The Doritos angle is a little weird, you would think she'd just go straight to tortilla chips, like Tostitos or something.  Maybe the hops gave her a little cheesy note?

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Wow, Kona is in the top 10 craft beer producers?  That is shocking.  I probably would've come up with 100 breweries before Kona.  Are they really that big out west?  They're pretty non-existent around here.

I can see a pilsner-based beer getting a corn chip reference.  The Doritos angle is a little weird, you would think she'd just go straight to tortilla chips, like Tostitos or something.  Maybe the hops gave her a little cheesy note?

brewed right at red hook in NH.

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'd guess she was referring to a "grainy" type of flavor.

#38 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I think Ken is just confused with the names of his snacks and really means Fritos. That has an original flavor.

#39 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I've tasted a few beers in the past that had a background flavor that reminded me of the Kellogg's Corn Pops cereal I used to eat when I was a kid. All of them were beers that likely had pilsner malt as the base. I've always wondered if that was DMS or what. One of them was a Gose, which was an interesting experience.

I've tasted DMS in a number of Berliner Weisen, too.

#40 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54005 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

i don't know that i've ever seen doritos "original flavor".

I think Ken is just confused with the names of his snacks and really means Fritos. That has an original flavor.

I'm probably older than both of you but many years ago, Doritos came "plain" as well as the nacho cheese, taco, etc. Cool Ranch came later and eventually the Original Doritos (plain) disappeared. Doritos. Not Fritos. Although if you had plain Doritos, it would pretty much be Fritos.This looks relatively new but all throughout Dorito history, there has been a 'plain', 'original' or 'toasted corn' flavor...Posted Image

Edited by KenLenard, 17 April 2014 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users