do you even hot break, bro?

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I would swear that one of these would be, Why aren't my bottles carbonating? or maybe Is my batch ruined?

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

i actually don't get that many super uninformed questions.  most of the people that ask me about it are into beer enough to avoid these common pitfalls (they've been on a brewery tour or 20).

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

they missed my favorite when someone will tell me any homebrew that is colored lighter than a brown tastes just like Sam Adams and any homebrew darker tastes just like Guinness.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

they missed my favorite when someone will tell me any homebrew that is colored lighter than a brown tastes just like Sam Adams and any homebrew darker tastes just like Guinness.

the highest praise!  :lol:

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

For some reason my one BIL insists on comparing all of my beers to Killians.This one is just like Killians!This one is a little bit like Killians!This one is NOTHING like Killians! 

:rolleyes:

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

For some reason my one BIL insists on comparing all of my beers to Killians.This one is just like Killians!This one is a little bit like Killians!This one is NOTHING like Killians! 

the Killians standard!

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

is there a certain aspect he is using as the basis of comparison?  my first thought would be amount or lack of flavor.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

the Killians standard!

My neighbor's standard is Bud Lite. All others are flavor categorized with 2 descriptors

1: Dark--he actually thinks "Light" refers to the color and anything not labeled "light" is a dark beer2: Skunky--any beer with hop flavorTherefore, SNPA is a "dark, skunky" beer :wacko:

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

My neighbor's standard is Bud Lite. All others are flavor categorized with 2 descriptors

1: Dark--he actually thinks "Light" refers to the color and anything not labeled "light" is a dark beer2: Skunky--any beer with hop flavorTherefore, SNPA is a "dark, skunky" beer :wacko:

pass some of the dark skunky over here!

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

I used to have a neighbor (an a-hole really) that used to drink Bud Lite like it was water......

#14 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

I used to have a neighbor (an a-hole really) that used to drink Bud Lite like it was water......

I think he moved here. Guy's never w/o one in his hand. He's so round and red, looks like if you touched him with a razor blade, he'd turn inside out.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

chances are most asshole are drinking bud lite or something similar.  it's just straight up statistics.

#16 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

Seems like everyone who works at my local home depot doesn't understand the difference between brewing and distilling. Asked one guy about compression fittings for my chiller and he went off about how the liquor store is good enough for him. Another guy stuck up a conversation about the O2 bottle I picked up. When I told him it was for yeast propagation he nodded his head knowingly, "for my secret basement lab." 

:huh:

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I get a lot of the "can you go blind from it?" questions. My standard answer is "Yes, yes you can. If you stick your face in the boiling wort, you can most certainly go blind from homebrew."

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

I had a friend that suggested the "blind" thing as well.  I explained that if he didn't go blind after all the "bating" he's done in his life, my beer certainly isn't going to hurt......  He's one of my best consumers... hahaha

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53516 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

is there a certain aspect he is using as the basis of comparison?  my first thought would be amount or lack of flavor.

He just thinks Killians is the bomb. Almost every story he tells me is about how they went camping and brought a bunch of Killians or how they went to the racetrack and had a keg of Killians. It's bloody hilarious. I was at this place a few weekends ago playing bocce with about 20 people. Everyone was drinking beer and the one girl (I have known her since high school) wasn't sure what to order. I was drinking this outstanding kolsch made by Metropolitan Brewing here in Chicago. She sees it and says, "Oh, Ken... that looks really nice. Can I try it?"... she takes a sip and says, "Okay, that tastes like it has a Dorito floating in it". Laughs all around. Another girl takes a sip and says, "No it doesn't!" and the first girl repeats, "Yep... Dorito!". Some of the guys are asking if it's Cool Ranch or Nacho Cheese or whatever. She says, "Original!". I said, "You're very fortunate in the Doritos you've tasted". :P

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

dorito?  wtf???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users