18 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Well I had some saisons planned but then I got word that 3 of my brothers would be in town mid-May so I'm putting together something(s) that would appeal more to their tastes. Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions on either of them. The first beer is based off a one time IPA collaboration release from Revolution, 3F's, Half Acre and Blue Jacket. It was delicious, hope mine can get in the same zip code. The second is loosely modeled after Wookey Jack and will be my first attempt at a Black IPA.

I don't have numbers on the water yet but basically I'm shooting for mash pH of 5.3 and about 250ppm SO4 in the first beer, a little less SO4 in the Black IPA and minimal levels of all other minerals for both beers.

Chicago Spring IPA

6 gallons

OG-1.064

IBU-65

SRM-10

85% Rahr Pale Ale

10% Weyermann Munich I

5% Thomas Fawcett C60

mash@152F for 75 min.

Boil Hops

14g ea. Apollo/Chinook @60

Whirlpool ~165F Hop Steep

70g. Centennial

40g. Citra

40g. El Dorado

20g. Chinook

Dry Hops

Dry hop #1 30g ea. Cascade/Centennial

Dry hop #2 30g. ea. Citra/El Dorado

WY1272 American Ale II

Black EyePA

6 gallons

OG-1.073

IBU-74

SRM-36

78% Rahr Pale Ale

13% Breiss Rye Malt

3% Simpson's Crystal Rye

3% Carafa Special III

3% Midnight Wheat

mash @147F for 90min.

Boil Hops

29g. Apollo @60min.

90g. Amarillo

90g. Citra

Dry Hop

Dry hop #1 30g. ea. Amarillo/Citra

Dry hop #2 30g. ea. Amarillo/Citra

WY1272 American Ale II

Edited by ettels4, 23 April 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

Both look awesome to me.  What is your plan for the double dry hop?  One in the carboy and one in the keg or how do you plan to do it.  Also, what is your steep time for the whirlpool hops?  I tend to do 15 mintues spinning, 15 minutes to settle and then they are in there till the batch runs through the CFC so maybe the last bit is in there for 45 minutes.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

One in the carboy and one in the keg is the plan. How would you do it?

For the hop stand here's how I normally do it. First I cool to ~165F than dump in the hops. Next stir to break up the pellets and whirlpool the (it doesn't spin long because my IC is still in there). Then I put on the lid and and let it sit. I have done steep times from 15-30 min. all with good results. However, I've done no direct comparisons on the exact same recipe to say one is better than the other. My gut is that I like the 30 minutes better and that's what I've been doing lately. Then I chill to a few degrees under pitching temp and whirlpool again for 20 min. or so to settle the hops and trub before racking to the carboy.

Let me know what you guys think about this idea… in recipes like these, with a lot of hops in the whirlpool, I was thinking one way to keep them out of the fermentor and minimize wort loss would be to steep them in a large (5 gallon) paint strainer bag. This would give them lots of room to float around and make contact with the wort. Then I could pull out the bag after the steep or after I finish chilling. Good idea or hare-brained?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:44 AM

Your double dry hopping idea is what I expected and what I would do.  I would go one extra step and after the second DH did its thing I would crash the keg and move the beer to another keg just to minimize the hops in the keg but that is just a personal preference.  I know many leave them in the keg till it kicks.  I just move kegs around in the keezer a lot and do not like to stir them back up.

I use this for my hops and it will be similar to the 5g paint strainer bag.  I think the bag will work fine for you.  I would leave the bag in till the end and not bother pulling it out.  It should hold back most of the material so you do not have an issue with transfer.  At least that has been my experience.

Really interested in the Chicago Spring IPA.  I have everything to make that except for the El Dorado, please let me know how it comes out.

httpss://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MSDJSxeb8og/Uz7RtyKBc3I/AAAAAAAAEm4/R4iwsD4xAhc/w688-h708-no/20130212_190344-1.jpg

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:52 AM

Yeah these both look good to me. I think my next couple IPA's are going to look like this with all of the late whirlpool hops. Definitely let us know how they turn out. In the black IPA is that going to be enough dark malts to get it black? I ask because I usually use 1# of MW to get it black.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

I usually use 1# of MW to get it black.

I do the same on mine.  Usualy 1# for a 5-6g batch.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

Drez, you could probably sub in another fruity new-type hop (mosaic, galaxy, etc.) and do well. Or you could jump onto farmhouse brew supply's website and getcha some El Dorado. The hop fairy told me you need more hops in your freezer.

Keg to keg transfer is just a jumper from out port to out port and pushed with CO2? Might have to do this as suggested.

The Carafa Special III and MW work out to be 8oz. each, so 1# of color malt as you guys suggested. Beersmith say it will be 36 SRM. That should do it right?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

Drez, you could probably sub in another fruity new-type hop (mosaic, galaxy, etc.) and do well. Or you could jump onto farmhouse brew supply's website and getcha some El Dorado. The hop fairy told me you need more hops in your freezer.

Keg to keg transfer is just a jumper from out port to out port and pushed with CO2? Might have to do this as suggested.

The Carafa Special III and MW work out to be 8oz. each, so 1# of color malt as you guys suggested. Beersmith say it will be 36 SRM. That should do it right?

1- I always need more hops .. MOAR!!!!!

2 - Yes, that is how I do it I run out a bit to make sure it is clear and then go beer out to beer out with CO2

3 - 36 SRM looks good and dark to me

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I do the same on mine.  Usualy 1# for a 5-6g batch.

damn!  does it get roasty at all from that much MW?

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Can't answer from experience but MW is reputed to provide the least amount of roast flavor of all the dark color malts. Not sure how it compares to Sinamar.

Edited by ettels4, 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#11 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

damn! does it get roasty at all from that much MW?

Not as much as you would think. I think its a perfect amount. I was thinking of trying the Black Prinz malt next, just to see, never used it.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Not as much as you would think. I think its a perfect amount. I was thinking of trying the Black Prinz malt next, just to see, never used it.

i have some chocolate wheat i haven't used.  is similarly "not roasty"?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:14 AM

It was a bit roasty when first tapped but that fell away very fast IMO.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

It was a bit roasty when first tapped but that fell away very fast IMO.

FYI - our oktoberfest recipe doesn't seem roasty at all from the small amount of carafa spec ii we put in there.  mine finished up at 1.012 after about 10 days in primary.  i'm starting to chill it now.  the hydro sample tasted great!

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

Made the Chicago Spring IPA last thurs. and the Black EyePA tonight. Upped it to 9oz. each of MW and CSIII. Added the 2 dark malts and the crystal rye (went with Weyermann's Cararye FWIW) for the last 15min of a 90min. mash. It's gonna be black and it's gonna be hoppy. There is only a very little bit of roast character in the wort. And I mean very little. Surprised. The wort was very tasty and slick.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:35 AM

Sorry long post here. Ive been needing to update these for a while. Hope somebody will get something from this. Both kegs are about to kick. Most of these were consumed back in May when my brothers were here.

Chicago Spring IPA

This finished at 1.011. Not the greatest pic but it was a nice orange-amber color as you can see. Really big resinous hop character with a the mild but noticeable malt backbone you would expect from that grist. Really nice IPA that was easy to have a second or more of. I really liked the blend of the hops in this one and you could really pick out what each one was bringing to the beer. The star of this one was the El Dorado hops. They give a decided fruity-candy like note to the finish of the beer that I really like. The one thing I would change about this beer would be to make it finish less dry. I know thats not usually what we say about our IPAs but this one had a finish that was almost too dry at times and I think it would have been nicer to have this beer finish with a tiny bit more richness to go with the bright, juicy, and fruity hop character of the El Dorado better. I could mash hotter, drop the IBUs or drop the sulfate level which for this beer was 218ppm. I think dropping the sulfate level is what I would try first as 1.011 is a typical FG for IPA here and I'm usually happy with that. I dunno, anyone else ever have an IPA they wished was a little less dry?

Posted Image

Black EyePA

Also finished at 1.011. There aren't enough superlatives to describe this beer so I'll just say this... This beer is among the best IPAs I have had black or otherwise, home-brewed or commercial. Black IPA, for me, usually seems to miss the mark. I have had a few good ones but they are often too roasty and/or loaded with too dank a hop character. These two things clash IMO.  This one is jet black, and even on these last few pints still has a massive in your face hop nose. The typical rye character is modest/not too strong. The rye certainly helped to give the beer a med-full body that, coupled with the lower carbonation I gave it (~ 2.0 vol, maybe a little more), results in a very creamy smooth and rich mouthful of deliciousness. The light tan head on this beer is thick and creamy and as sticky as any beer I can remember. The hop character is massive and complex resinous citrus-fruitiness typical of Amarillo and Citra. The roast character is present but subdued, mostly some low level chocolate notes and zero harsh or astringent character, just as you would expect from MW and Carafa Sp. III.

FWIW I mashed this beer a little differently. Here is what I did. I mashed just the Rahr PA malt and the rye malt for 90min. at a pH of 5.5. I targeted the higher end of the mash pH range as it is said to reduce astringent or biting roast flavors/smooths harshness of the dark grains. Then I added the two roasted malts and the crystal rye for just the last 15min. of that 90 min mash. Again just trying to get color from them and not a lot of flavor. Final mash pH/pre-boil pH was 5.4. It worked.

If I were to change anything next time around it would be only one thing. I might try dropping the MW and Carafa Sp. III back to 8oz. each. Not because the beer was too roasty, not by any means, but I have a feeling I just didn't need 9oz each to get the jet black color. Also I would wait until cooler months to re-brew it. It's getting to warm now for this beer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by ettels4, 12 June 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#17 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

Thanks a lot, now I'm thirsty, and it's only ~10 am.  :lol:

Seriously, though, both batches look great, and from your writeup, taste great.  Well done. :frank:

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:15 AM

Good follow up.

I would like to give the Spring IPA a go but I would mash a but lower for my system, maybe 150.  those El Dorado hops intrigue me.  If only I had room for more hops!

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Chicago Spring IPA

6 gallons

OG-1.064

IBU-65

SRM-10

85% Rahr Pale Ale

10% Weyermann Munich I

5% Thomas Fawcett C60

mash@152F for 75 min.

Boil Hops

14g ea. Apollo/Chinook @60

70g. Centennial

40g. Citra

40g. El Dorado

20g. Chinook

Dry Hops

Dry hop #1 30g ea. Cascade/Centennial

Dry hop #2 30g. ea. Citra/El Dorado

WY1272 American Ale II

Made a V.2 of this last Thursday. Swapped Pale Ale base malt and Light Munich for 2-Row and more Munich with a switch to Dark Munich. Was looking for it to come across a little less dry and sharp so I dropped the SO4 to 150ppm, dropped the Chinook at 60 min, mashed slightly higher. Also decided to up the fruitiness factor with the hops too. Deemphasized the Centennial while upping the Chinook, Citra and El Dorado. Also first time adding dry hop #1 just as the krausen is falling and activity has slowed considerably.  I usually wait until the yeast has mostly dropped out. FG 1.012 right now and the sample I tasted last night suggests I may have hit the mark or come close. Here is the second go 'round.

6 gal. post boil

OG 1.062

IBU 63

SRM 9

83% GW 2-Row

12% Munich II

5% Thomas Fawcett C60

Mash @ 154F

Boil Hops

24g Apollo @60min.

Whirlpool/Steep Hops

45g each of Citra/El Dorado