#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

I'm doing a run with Wyeast 2124. I brewed a Munich Dunkel a couple weeks ago, harvested the yeast and am using 250 ml in this beer. The decoction only added 45 mins to my mash time. (2) 15 min decoctions with rests at
134F/145F/158F.
The protein rest was pretty much dough-in, check pH (5.2) and pull a 1 gallon decoction. The 145F rest was for 15 mins, the 158F for 20 mins. All ended up being at that temp slightly longer due to heating etc.

I added a little boiling water after each decoction was added back in order to hit my rest temps. These aren't that hard to do.

The house has a wonderful odor of vanilla after the decoctions.

7gal batch
1.050/31 ibus

9.5 lb BM Pils
1 lb BM Vienna
.5 lb Carapils
.25 lb Acid Malt

1.3 oz Amarillo at 60 (low co-hu)
1 oz Saphir at 10 min

Here's the first decoction after added back to the mash. You can see how dark it gets.

Posted Image

Second decoction

Posted Image

My 1.5 gallon decoction pot with 1st decoct

Posted Image

#2 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Looks awesome.  I need to get this lager thing going. After a couple I'd give this method a try.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Looks awesome.  I need to get this lager thing going. After a couple I'd give this method a try.

I've done it a lot of times.  My conclusion is that you should do it becasue you want to do it, not because it will necessarily make better beer.

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Decoctions aren't as hard as some would have you believe. Just don't get hung up on exact volumes. You'll be much happier just doing it "off the cuff" so to speak. I make sure I hit my first rest temp with a thick 1:1 ratio. Then pull 1-1.25 gallon of thick mash and boil it till it darkens pretty good then add back to the mash. I keep boiling water on the stove and add it as needed to reach my next rest temp. Stir and add until it's right. Easy-peazy.

#5 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

I've done it a lot of times.  My conclusion is that you should do it becasue you want to do it, not because it will necessarily make better beer.

It's something I want to do.  It's like adjusting my water, I want to.  I've made perfectly good beer without any adjustments before but I like my results. 

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

It's something I want to do.  It's like adjusting my water, I want to.  I've made perfectly good beer without any adjustments before but I like my results. 

you wanting to do it is one of the only major similarities.  adjusting your water can make a big difference in your finished product.  good/bad/different it can def make a big impact.  decoction on the other hand - most seem to not be convinced.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

I need to get this lager thing going.

You've been saying that for awhile!  I'm holding my breath. Ready, GO!  :watching:

#8 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

You've been saying that for awhile!  I'm holding my breath. Ready, GO!  :watching:

I'm gonna do it Ken, I'm really going to do it.  I have a gift card sitting at the LHBS and I'm going to buy LAGER yeast with it!!!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

I'm gonna do it Ken, I'm really going to do it.  I have a gift card sitting at the LHBS and I'm going to buy LAGER yeast with it!!!

WHOO! Oh, and 2112 doesn't count. :D

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

JP, you gonna brew that SA Bahston Lager clone we discussed?

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

JP, you gonna brew that SA Bahston Lager clone we discussed?

I'm working on it. When I get there I'll share. Hopefully in March.

#12 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

I'm working on it. When I get there I'll share. Hopefully in March.

Cool. Maybe we'll work out a trade of some sort. I have some 2124 up and running. Maybe my next brew will be a SA clone.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Cool. Maybe we'll work out a trade of some sort. I have some 2124 up and running. Maybe my next brew will be a SA clone.

Chils: Check out the other SABL thread a few threads down that was started by BEACH. I posted there because I am going to make a version of it as well and all of the numbers from the SA site area there. I'm not going to decoct it but I have the color, the IBUs and the ABV in place. Not sure how close it will be but it should be good. Also, I posted my recipe with pale ale malt but I now have a 55-lb sack of Best Malz Pils so I could use that too. If you look over there, let me know what you think.

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

My experience as well. I wanted to do it so I could say I tried it. Will I ever do it again? Not likely. Actually I didn't really have much fun doing it others might have a blast. 

#15 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

Chils: Check out the other SABL thread a few threads down that was started by BEACH. I posted there because I am going to make a version of it as well and all of the numbers from the SA site area there. I'm not going to decoct it but I have the color, the IBUs and the ABV in place. Not sure how close it will be but it should be good. Also, I posted my recipe with pale ale malt but I now have a 55-lb sack of Best Malz Pils so I could use that too. If you look over there, let me know what you think.

Interesting observation on the yeast strain. I discussed BL with JP awhile back and reviewed the clone recipes on the web. Bought a bomber and tried it. It tastes like it has more malt backbone than just 2-row. JP said he had a bag of GW Pale Ale malt and wanted to use W-34/70 yeast so I put this together after talking to him. As with any clone you aren't gonna hit it dead on the first try. But trying sure is fun. Your recipe looks fine. 9 lb Pale Ale Malt .75 lb C-60 .55 oz Magnum at 60 1 oz Tett at 10 1 oz HM at 0 1 oz HM dry hop Mash 145F for 30mins, pull 4qts of thick mash, boil for 15 mins then return to mash, add enough boiling water to reach 160F for 30mins.

#16 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

WHOO! Oh, and 2112 doesn't count. :D

Here it is Ken:

Posted Image

#17 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Interesting observation on the yeast strain. I discussed BL with JP awhile back and reviewed the clone recipes on the web. Bought a bomber and tried it. It tastes like it has more malt backbone than just 2-row. JP said he had a bag of GW Pale Ale malt and wanted to use W-34/70 yeast so I put this together after talking to him. As with any clone you aren't gonna hit it dead on the first try. But trying sure is fun. Your recipe looks fine. 9 lb Pale Ale Malt .75 lb C-60 .55 oz Magnum at 60 1 oz Tett at 10 1 oz HM at 0 1 oz HM dry hop Mash 145F for 30mins, pull 4qts of thick mash, boil for 15 mins then return to mash, add enough boiling water to reach 160F for 30mins.

Well I'm going  to sub the nobles for American Nobles mainly because I have around 3/4 LB of Mt hoods and the LHBS was out of Tetts.  I'll sub Mt. Hoods for the Magnum and HM and Santium for the Tett.

#18 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

Well, this one's been in the keg since 3-15. It's pretty good but not as flavorful as the same recipe where I used Weyermann Floor Malted Bopils and a 3 step infusion. This BM pils malt is just not as good as the floor malt. Beer is pretty good though.

Posted Image

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Looks nice.  I have a number of beers that [hopefully] will look just like that in the works right now.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

what is BM pils?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users