#141 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

If your looking at the inside its the one on the very right. I can take a closer pic of that area and try to explain how I wired it. The timer is the newest one the offer with the multi timer events, JSL-73 I believe.

I do have a question but will put it in my thread as not to clog yours up with my stuff.

Thanks. 

#142 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

So I've got progress done over the last week or so. I mounted the control panel and fired it. Seems to be working just fine. The tv mount I got is plenty supportive enough to hold it. No sagging or anything. When pushing buttons it does shake around a little but not enough to bother me. When I decide where I want it I will tighten everything up better. Right now it is designed to move around to adjust your tv. 2 out of 3 pots are all welded and mostly assembled. Pictured below is the HLT. I have the SS coil mounted on the inside, just forgot a pic. Just waiting on a diptube and some QD fittings now. The MLT manifold is probably still a work in progress. I think I will run it as is for the first batch and see how it goes. I got some 3/8" silicone tubing to hold it all together. Just need to order some hose now, will need to measure what I need. Might need a few more fittings. I got the pumps, but I think I need some 90's on the outputs to make hooking up hoses easier. Getting there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#143 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16627 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

This is really top shelf man. Isn't your brewing area like a separate outbuilding or something too? Well done.

One question, why does is say "orAL" on those digital readouts?

#144 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

"OrAL" means the temp probes are not installed or working correctly. I am guessing Matt did not have them plugged in when he took the picture.

#145 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:24 AM

This is really top shelf man. Isn't your brewing area like a separate outbuilding or something too? Well done.One question, why does is say "orAL" on those digital readouts?

Thanks. Yeah I have a pool house that is made out of all rough cut pine. I have around a 10x20 room that the brewery is in.And yeah Drez is right. I don't have any of the temp probes hooked up yet.

#146 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:41 AM

I like the false bottom.  I am not sure I would even bother to try and tig it all up. 

On the pot what is the upper left ball valve for?  I assume that is the HLT and the valves on the right are for the HERMS coil.

#147 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

Very nice. Can't wait to hear how your PID learning goes. I say that ball valve is for filling water. I have a separate ball valve for filling and it's a nice luxury.

#148 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

Very nice. Can't wait to hear how your PID learning goes.I say that ball valve is for filling water. I have a separate ball valve for filling and it's a nice luxury.

Oh maybe.  I just have my water source right above my HLT.  I can just open the valve to fill or use a hose with QD's if I want.

#149 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

I like the false bottom. I am not sure I would even bother to try and tig it all up. On the pot what is the upper left ball valve for? I assume that is the HLT and the valves on the right are for the HERMS coil.

At this point no I don't plan on tigging it up. Maybe in the future if I get it working good I may tig up some so it is less pieces but still be able to break down to clean. The silicone hose is hard to get on.Yeah the very top valve is to fill water and the ones on the right are the coil. Also I planned on recirculating the water in the HLT while heating to keep the temp even. So that upper valve will be the return from the pump.

#150 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

Yeah the very top valve is to fill water and the ones on the right are the coil. Also I planned on recirculating the water in the HLT while heating to keep the temp even. So that upper valve will be the return from the pump.

Cool, I do that also when I heat my water up.  I go from the HLT to the RIMS back to a port in the cover of my HLT.  Works well

#151 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Put the qd's on the pots and the stuff on the inside tonight. What do you guys think of the whirlpool and pickup in the BK?

Inside BK.

Posted Image

MT

Posted Image

HLT

Posted Image

#152 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

The pickup is perfect. That's how I've always ran my BK. 

How far down is the whirlpool?

#153 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

I put the whirlpool right about the 5 gal mark. Thinking I will still be able to do 5 gals when I want to, but should hopefully still work fine for 10?

#154 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

I put the whirlpool right about the 5 gal mark. Thinking I will still be able to do 5 gals when I want to, but should hopefully still work fine for 10?

My whirlpool is a bit different seeing it comes in from the top of the kettle but I also have it around the 5g mark and I have no issues with 5g or 10g batches.  I cannot tell from the picture but do you have the whirlpool outlet angled down a bit towards the bottom?  I found a slight downward angle helped me get a better cone.

httpss://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9nm2NrncrB8/Uhtw2lipwwI/AAAAAAAADb8/ujzEOPn-4kw/w969-h727-no/20130825_180528.jpg

#155 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

Cool good to know. Yes mine is pointing down just a little right now. It is easily adjustable as well.

#156 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Do you think at that depth which is good for 5-10g batches would still work for a 20g batch?

#157 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Do you think at that depth which is good for 5-10g batches would still work for a 20g batch?

IMO, just firing from the hip here, it should work as long as your pump is strong enough.  Quick and dirty test would be to fill the pot with the amount you would have for 20g's and make a temp whirlpool wand out of soft copper and just place it in the pot to see how low you can go before you stop getting a decent whirlpool.

#158 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hopefully April sometime.

Well this didn't happen. May is not looking the best either. I started working on other projects around the house I've neglected the brewery. And I think I've been out of town on the weekends more than I've been around. This weekend is a beer festival that our club will be pouring at and I'm bringing 2 kegs that I will be randalling. But I will be getting back on this soon. I've also been trying to run over in my head what my chilling process will be and what will I use. I only have a IC right now so I'm thinking I need to pick up a CFC or a plate chiller. Leaning towards CFC right now if I'm going to have hops in circulation.

#159 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:50 AM

Well this didn't happen. May is not looking the best either. I started working on other projects around the house I've neglected the brewery. And I think I've been out of town on the weekends more than I've been around. This weekend is a beer festival that our club will be pouring at and I'm bringing 2 kegs that I will be randalling.But I will be getting back on this soon. I've also been trying to run over in my head what my chilling process will be and what will I use. I only have a IC right now so I'm thinking I need to pick up a CFC or a plate chiller. Leaning towards CFC right now if I'm going to have hops in circulation.

I have had all 3 and at this point I am happy with the CFC as my main chiller.  If I need to get the wort down colder or want to minimize the water to the cfc I just use my old IM as a post chiller in a bucket of ice.  BlKtRe talked about doing that method many times and it works good for me.  I just always worried about getting plate chillers 100% clean.

#160 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16516 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

I have had all 3 and at this point I am happy with the CFC as my main chiller.  If I need to get the wort down colder or want to minimize the water to the cfc I just use my old IM as a post chiller in a bucket of ice.  BlKtRe talked about doing that method many times and it works good for me.  I just always worried about getting plate chillers 100% clean.

Again, my dip tube is wide open. I pull off the side of the cone into a plate chiller. I don't understand why people have issues with clogging a plate chiller. If you are worried about the plate chiller being clogged a CFC can be clogged almost as easy. As far as a cleaning a plate its no different than a CFC. I like the smaller footprint of the plate vs a CFC too.

I do have a second coil after the plate in a ice bath (post wort chiller) for knocking down temps during warmer months. My PWC has a small submersible pump on a foot switch to move stratified chilling water around the coils. Its on a foot switch to maintain more of a even wort temp. I can get the wort to cold with this method and stirring around the coils is a pain otherwise. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users