#1 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Gonna brew a loosely styled tripel flowed by a dubbel (burning off old stuff). My basement is low 60s right now, I can heat some as needed but less heating is easier. Given that what would you prefer?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

3787 by  mile.  it's the Westmalle yeast and they invented the tripel.  1388 is like the 1056 of Belgian yeasts...very clean.  1762 is from Rochefort and to my tastes is too fruity for tripel.  3787 has the blend of fruit and phenolics I'm looking for.  I follow the Westmalle fermentation schedule and start in the low-mid 60s for 3-7 days then let it rise into the mid-upper 70s to finish.

#3 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I don't mind extra fruit for the record (call it a golden strong if that appeases ya ;)), but I'm taking in all of what you're saying.  I had been thinking 3787 since I was going to follow with the dubbel but got concerned since I read it went dormant mid 60s, sounds like your experience indicates otherwise?  I'll be making a healthy starter for the record.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

I am up to 69F at day 4 on a dubbel with 3787. It was started at 64-65F. Also started a Patersbier with 3787 a few weeks ago at the same temp. Took right off in both beers.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Cool, the stuff I have going currently is 64-66 with just a bit of heat added to the room.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't mind extra fruit for the record (call it a golden strong if that appeases ya ;)), but I'm taking in all of what you're saying.  I had been thinking 3787 since I was going to follow with the dubbel but got concerned since I read it went dormant mid 60s, sounds like your experience indicates otherwise?  I'll be making a healthy starter for the record.

I have never had that problem with 3787.  I think the people who have trouble are the ones who start higher and then have a temp drop somehow.  Westmalle starts low and raises it, so I do, too.

#7 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

That'll work perfect for my temps then.  Now hopefully the LHBS is open today...

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

I have never had that problem with 3787.  I think the people who have trouble are the ones who start higher and then have a temp drop somehow.  Westmalle starts low and raises it, so I do, too.

Denny I have a pack of 3787 and am going to make another attempt at a tripel. Can you give me some ideas for starting and ramp up temps during the fermentation? I usually try to start between 63 and 65 and once it gets going I raise my temp controller about a degree per day. I get okay but not great results and am looking for any proven ideas.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Denny I have a pack of 3787 and am going to make another attempt at a tripel. Can you give me some ideas for starting and ramp up temps during the fermentation? I usually try to start between 63 and 65 and once it gets going I raise my temp controller about a degree per day. I get okay but not great results and am looking for any proven ideas.

My temp control is pretty primitive...a tub of water to put the fermenter in and ice packs or an aquarium heater as needed.  I just let it go at room temp, which for me is low-mid 60s, for maybe 3-7 days and then either remove it from the water if it's warm ambient or add the aquarium heater of it's cooler.  Then I let it go art least another 2-3 weeks like that.  To me, the big thing is to give it plenty of time.  In BLAM, Stan mentioned that it can take as long for the last 10% of fermentation as it did for the first 90%.

#10 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

To confirm you are saying leave it on the cake in primary for the last 10% verse racking and letting it finish?

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

My temp control is pretty primitive...a tub of water to put the fermenter in and ice packs or an aquarium heater as needed.  I just let it go at room temp, which for me is low-mid 60s, for maybe 3-7 days and then either remove it from the water if it's warm ambient or add the aquarium heater of it's cooler.  Then I let it go art least another 2-3 weeks like that.  To me, the big thing is to give it plenty of time.  In BLAM, Stan mentioned that it can take as long for the last 10% of fermentation as it did for the first 90%.

Yeah, interesting yeast this is. For me this yeast seems to take longer than other ale yeasts I've used. Typically in an ale of 1.055-1.065-ish gravity activity will start to slow down  and fall out for me at around 48-60hrs. This 3787 still has a 2.5inch krausen on it, very little stuff has fallen out to the bottom, and there is still light to moderate activity (yeast and stuff flowing around in the fermentor) at 6 days out. Did the same thing on my Patersbier which finally settled down on day 7 or so but the krausen floats up in top forever.

To confirm you are saying leave it on the cake in primary for the last 10% verse racking and letting it finish?

For me at least there was very little cake to leave it on. As I said above the krausen floats on top forever. 

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Thanks, I hope to brew this weekend or next and I'll give this a try.

#13 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Smack'n my pack this evening to get a starter going for fri.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

Absolutely!  Give it a month in primary if that's what it needs.

Edited by denny, 20 March 2014 - 09:05 AM.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, I hope to brew this weekend or next and I'll give this a try.

I actually took the afternoon off from work and knocked this out. Now to wait about a month to see how it comes out.

#16 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm mashing in in 1.5hrs.  Wife said my starter foamed over (I had it in the basement bathroom sink so no biggie) so I've got a healthy pitch ready. :frank:

#17 pods8

pods8

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28296 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Happy yeast, ripping away in 12hrs, awesome smells already.Tangent: Any keg guys bottle condition for giggles still, I was pondering priming and bottle conditioning some of this batch.

#18 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Happy yeast, ripping away in 12hrs, awesome smells already.Tangent: Any keg guys bottle condition for giggles still, I was pondering priming and bottle conditioning some of this batch.

I say do it, but I'm @ batch #70 and I've bottled all but 5 or 6 of those so I'm biased.

#19 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

I bottled my 400th batch Quad a few years ago.  That was the last time I've bottled.  IMO, too much hassle for no advantage.  YMMV.

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I actually took the afternoon off from work and knocked this out. Now to wait about a month to see how it comes out.

okay 5 days in the frementation fridge at 63-64 degrees. Activity has slowed so I brought it upstairs to let the temp start ramping up. It smells great so far no I will learn to be patient and let it go for a few weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users