2 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I picked up a vial a few weeks back to make a saison that I can hopefully have ready for late summer. I know some of you guys have used this so I have a few questions. Recipe will probably be something like 80%Pils and or Pale and 20%wheat to about 1.055 give or take.

1.Do you find the brett in this 670 gives off more tropical/pineapple flavors or more barnyard or a bit of both? I have read that it tends to be pretty mild brett character. I would like to pair it up with some tropical fruity hops if they will pair up nicely. (Maybe galaxy, nelson, citra or some combination of them) Thoughts? Other hop recommendations?

2. I know Brett strains can be sensitive to high IBU's and since this will likely become pretty dry after 4 months or so a lot of IBU could seem way too harsh. How many IBU's would you charge it with? 15? 20?

3. I would plan to dry hop it just before packaging with the variety(s) used in the boil/whilpool. As far as adding hops on brew day…If I hit this with a couple ounces of my hops of choice in the whirlpool is that character going to be off/oxidized or otherwise faded by the time I wait 4 months for the brett to do its thing? What have you guys done with this?

4. Do you mash hotter than usual to give the brett a little something extra to chew on?

Lastly, any other process or recipe recommendations based on your experiences with this strain, saisons, or brett in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

1. a.) No.  I did not get any tropical/pineapple flavors from 670, more horse blanket, but lighter than a straight Brett.  b.) I have used N.Sauvin (courtesy of a fellow Blue Boarder) and ultimately, I have to say I am ambivalent with the hop.  It was brilliant in NB's SauvBlanc saison, but underwhelming in candisyrup.com's saison.  Personally, I would stick with the more traditional hops.  YMMV.

2. 15-25, and 25 might be a little high.

3. I have never dry hopped a Saison, so I got nothing.

4. Maybe a touch, but nothing radical.

Consider a blend of Pils and Pale, maybe 80/20.  Per FA, a number of breweries do this, and I have found it creates a little more malt interest in the finished product.

Feel free to discard anything written here in favor of your own instincts.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

So right now I am thinking 70/20/10 Pils/Vienna/Wheat and either Santiam for spiciness or something fruity like Galaxy/Nelson or Citra/Amarillo in smallish doses.

The other question I thought of was regarding fermentation. This should be fine to go to secondary to let the brett work right? Any reason this should remain on the primary cake for the 4+ month wait?

Any advice on how to dry hop if a pellicle forms?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users