#41 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

I'll likely do two batches tomorrow with the pitch of 1968.  I think I'm going to try to brew the same beer with multiple additions from 30 minutes all the way through dry hopping and then the same base beer adding all the hops at 20 mins.  I've been wanting to do the massive one time addition for a while.  Really curious to see the results.

Has anyone else done this, or know of someone who has?

#42 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Uugh!  I've been thinking about brewing now that it's warm enough out to turn the water on.  (Sounds really weird to say that)  

However... and there is always a however...

We are in the middle of a basement remodel and everything has been cleared moved into an area where all my brewing equipment is.  It will be a PITA to get to all of my equipment and ingredients.  I just don't know that I'm up to do that tomorrow.  If I had space in the garage to store the big stuff now that winter is over, I might be inclined to do that...  

Maybe I should re-arrange the garage a bit tomorrow instead so that I could move the big stuff up, like the kettles and burners.

On top of that fact that I have no clue what I want to make.  I want to make Ken's Home Run Red, but that needs to be a double batch to split with my cousin and I'm just not ready to tackle that yet.  I was thinking of just doing something solo and can't even figure out what I want.  

#43 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'll likely do two batches tomorrow with the pitch of 1968.  I think I'm going to try to brew the same beer with multiple additions from 30 minutes all the way through dry hopping and then the same base beer adding all the hops at 20 mins.  I've been wanting to do the massive one time addition for a while.  Really curious to see the results.

Has anyone else done this, or know of someone who has?

I assume you will have two separate boils going?  At least that's how I read it.  

Don't see why it wouldn't work.  

#44 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Uugh!  I've been thinking about brewing now that it's warm enough out to turn the water on.  (Sounds really weird to say that)   However... and there is always a however... We are in the middle of a basement remodel and everything has been cleared moved into an area where all my brewing equipment is.  It will be a PITA to get to all of my equipment and ingredients.  I just don't know that I'm up to do that tomorrow.  If I had space in the garage to store the big stuff now that winter is over, I might be inclined to do that...   Maybe I should re-arrange the garage a bit tomorrow instead so that I could move the big stuff up, like the kettles and burners. On top of that fact that I have no clue what I want to make.  I want to make Ken's Home Run Red, but that needs to be a double batch to split with my cousin and I'm just not ready to tackle that yet.  I was thinking of just doing something solo and can't even figure out what I want.

I typically hate to brew when there is a big project going on at the house so I hear you. Your gut will tell you to brew or not to brew. Sounds like you have the opportunity if you have the desire so I say... fire up some of that Home Run Red! :P I have a number of projects including windows, painting and possibly some brickwork going on around the house this summer so I'm stocking up on homebrew now. Cheers.

#45 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

i do the same thing ken.  in the summer i generally just have too much shit going on to brew so i also do some stocking up.  i've never run out yet!

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:07 AM

i've never run out yet!

That's the key. When I feel like I have done too much brewing, it always happens where two kegs go down at the same time or a couple of gatherings put a huge dent in the supply and I end up panicking... BAH! I need to make more beer! I'm embarrassed to say that I currently have 9 full(ish) kegs, 6 beers in secondary and 4 beers in primary. I will not run out. :P

#47 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

That's the key. When I feel like I have done too much brewing, it always happens where two kegs go down at the same time or a couple of gatherings put a huge dent in the supply and I end up panicking... BAH! I need to make more beer! I'm embarrassed to say that I currently have 9 full(ish) kegs, 6 beers in secondary and 4 beers in primary. I will not run out. :P

I'm very close to running out for the first time in many years. I'm down to a keg of 5 year old Oud Bruin, a keg of 4 year old Wee heavy, and a keg of 4 year old Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy. I do have 10g in secondary and another 10g in primary, so I might just make it.

#48 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

Dont you worry that its possible to miss your beer at its peak Ken? Unless you actually drink and share that amount. I used to so I can relate but the revolving door at my place doesnt revolve as much anymore. Only time I have that much beer around anymore is when I brew for events.

#49 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Dont you worry that its possible to miss your beer at its peak Ken? Unless you actually drink and share that amount. I used to so I can relate but the revolving door at my place doesnt revolve as much anymore. Only time I have that much beer around anymore is when I brew for events.

If I have a beer where I want the late hop character to come through, I fast-track those. Most of my beers are better after sitting a little bit (lagers, beers that do not have a lot of late hops, etc) and it seems to be okay. My wife and both drink my beer but family, friends and neighbors seem to make a nice dent too. I think that people who are not used to tapping their own draft beer get a kick out of it and seem to put away more beer because they "get to tap their own beer" and also because there are no bottles to count.

#50 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

I was able to sneak in the brew session.  APA with a TON, well 4 oz, of cascades late.

#51 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

Love the Fullers strain.  Sounds delish.  Brew it Man!!!

I forgot how clumpy 1968/002 is.  It's no wonder it's so flocculent.  The flocs don't even break up while its fermenting.

#52 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

mashed in on Batch #1 of 2014, a Dort with 2124

#53 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Welcome back.

#54 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Welcome back.

thanks!  I only brew Spring to Fall normal for me

#55 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

I forgot how clumpy 1968/002 is.  It's no wonder it's so flocculent.  The flocs don't even break up while its fermenting.

When you rack a beer with 1968 out of primary, the yeast is at the bottom of the fermenter like a freaking pancake. It's like a solid, singular mass. I have some beers coming up with 1968 and I'm looking forward to that all-you-can-eat pancake-a-palooza.

#56 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Speaking of this yeast... .I just tasted my lager made with it after a couple weeks of lagering and it's B-E-A-U-tiful!!!  I'm going to bottle it later this week. the 2124/830/w34/70 has a flavor to it that I've been looking for.  I never realized that it was the yeast giving it that flavor. 

#57 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

Speaking of this yeast... .I just tasted my lager made with it after a couple weeks of lagering and it's B-E-A-U-tiful!!!  I'm going to bottle it later this week. the 2124/830/w34/70 has a flavor to it that I've been looking for.  I never realized that it was the yeast giving it that flavor. 

yepper, that classic "german lager" flavor

#58 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

yepper, that classic "german lager" flavor

I agree. 2278 has a little bit of that as well and I'm sampling a pale lager I made with it today and it's really nice. I have 2124 coming up and 3-4 beers are on the schedule to be made with it. There is a certain something that 2124 brings to the beer and that can be said for almost any style you make with it. The only weird thing is... is it German? It's called "Bohemian" so does that suggest Czech (Bohemia?) or what? Either way, one of my all-time favorite yeast strains.

#59 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

When you rack a beer with 1968 out of primary, the yeast is at the bottom of the fermenter like a freaking pancake. It's like a solid, singular mass. I have some beers coming up with 1968 and I'm looking forward to that all-you-can-eat pancake-a-palooza.

It flocs together virtually instantly.  I turned off my stirplate for about 30 seconds to move some stuff around.  By the time i turned it back on the yeast had settled and flocced into a solid mass.

#60 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

i just brewed with some 2308.  it's been a while since i've used it.  what do you guys think of that yeast?

i found some people didn't like 2124.  maybe i had a not so great start with it though since i made a starter with some old smack packs.

Edited by TheGuv, 14 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users