#21 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Yea, just another peltier cooler idea. This has been done before by savvy homebrewers. The lack of power and efficiency seems like the biggest complaint and probably the reason it never really got popular. 

#22 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

My wife and I are in the process of downsizing to half our current square footage and about a third the cellar space. Luckily, I long since moved to small batches and indoor brewing, but I'd like to find a compact fermentation cooling solution, if it worked and didn't cost more than about $100.

#23 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

My wife and I are in the process of downsizing to half our current square footage and about a third the cellar space. Luckily, I long since moved to small batches and indoor brewing, but I'd like to find a compact fermentation cooling solution, if it worked and didn't cost more than about $100.

You can build one. I don't think a peltier costs more than around $25-30. I think you might be able to wire it to an existing temp controller if you had one. Im wondering if you attached a 1/2bll spear to the pelteir would be easy to do. 

#24 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

You can build one. I don't think a peltier costs more than around $25-30. I think you might be able to wire it to an existing temp controller if you had one. Im wondering if you attached a 1/2bll spear to the pelteir would be easy to do. 

That's probably $75-100 in materials and $50 in time, which might make the thing a reasonable option in the $100-150 price range... if it works.

#25 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28437 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

Time argument only works if you have the type of job you could actually work any amount you desire and get paid, in my opinion. Otherwise it's just non-paid down time.

#26 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

Time argument only works if you have the type of job you could actually work any amount you desire and get paid, in my opinion. Otherwise it's just non-paid down time.

agreed, never fully have agreed with the "my time is worth $X, when I wouldn't be getting paid anyway

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

We all value our time in some way.  It's not about lost wages it's about convenience.  If you could build something and buy something for the same price, would you buy it?  Of course not, unless you're really bored.  If you could build something for $50 that takes 100 hours of time to complete, would you buy the same for $200?  I wouldn't.  I'd just pay the $200 and call it a day.

#28 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28437 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

We all value our time in some way. It's not about lost wages it's about convenience. If you could build something and buy something for the same price, would you buy it? Of course not, unless you're really bored.

Or find enjoyment in learning about stuff and a sense of pride/accomplishment.

#29 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

:watching:

#30 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, but you also have three kids, so time is a premium.

#31 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Why is it called 'Brewjacket', you'd think the name would be related to important component of the product.  i.e. the chiller.

#32 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Time? Who counts their time messing around with a hobby? If I was going to sell something then yes. But not for a hobby. 

#33 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Time? Who counts their time messing around with a hobby? If I was going to sell something then yes. But not for a hobby. 

some people have to itemize everything I guess

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

I guess you guys have unlimited free time.  That must be cool.

#35 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

Its not unlimited but Ive given into the fact that if my hobby takes some time to get it right without short cutting then thats just the way it is. 

#36 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

sans crotchfruit

#37 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:55 AM

I don't usually, but my hobby is brewing, not electronics.  I'm one of the rare brewers that doesn't have much interest in brewing equipment.  

Unfortunately, I have the kind of job that I could easily work at 7 days a week 16+ hours a day, and these days I often do. So, I've had to become much more critical about unnecessary time expenditure.  It's not like I get paid for the hours that I work instead of build something, but the extra time at work can mean job security and promotion that is worth a lot more than $50.

#38 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:26 AM

I don't usually, but my hobby is brewing, not electronics.  I'm one of the rare brewers that doesn't have much interest in brewing equipment.  

Unfortunately, I have the kind of job that I could easily work at 7 days a week 16+ hours a day, and these days I often do. So, I've had to become much more critical about unnecessary time expenditure.  It's not like I get paid for the hours that I work instead of build something, but the extra time at work can mean job security and promotion that is worth a lot more than $50.

Understandable.

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

Yes, pretty much so....sorry to rub it in!  ;)

I'm one of the rare brewers that doesn't have much interest in brewing equipment.  

You and me both, bro!  I hate building equipment. I'd rather be using it to make beer.

#40 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yes, pretty much so....sorry to rub it in!  ;)

You and me both, bro!  I hate building equipment. I'd rather be using it to make beer.

simple is better (IMHO) but these electric brewery builds lately are really nice too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users