#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Gents, with the aid of an Igloo Cube and 3 frozen water bottles at a time, I’ve been keeping a batch of Amber Rye Ale w/ US-05 at 60 degrees all week – with no degree of difficulty.  Heck it's even dipped to 58. In addition, I only change out the frozen bottles 2x per day. I’m sure if I added 4-6 bottles, I could keep the 50’s with ease. On that assumption, could I do a lager? Would mid 50's be acceptable? I figure after fermentation, I’d transfer to corny and continue the process in my keezer for XX time. Thoughts?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Some of the lager strains will go a little higher while some have shorter & cooler ranges. Check out the various strains like 2308, 2124, 2278, 2042, etc and see which ones do better in the mid 50s. My handy Wyeast poster tells me that 2124 likes 48-58° while 2278 likes 50-58°. Or... check Craigslist for a cheap fridge!

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

I know, I know.  The cheap fridge is beginning to haunt my "beeraspirations...."

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Some of the lager strains will go a little higher while some have shorter & cooler ranges. Check out the various strains like 2308, 2124, 2278, 2042, etc and see which ones do better in the mid 50s. My handy Wyeast poster tells me that 2124 likes 48-58° while 2278 likes 50-58°. Or... check Craigslist for a cheap fridge!

Even a wine fridge would work.  I was given one and I bypassed the internal controls and I have got it cold enough to freeze and entire carboy :crazy:

Also look at wyeast 2112

This strain is particularly well suited for producing California Common-style beers. It retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65°F (18°C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:10 AM

Will do

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

I think 2112 has a low number of 58° which is where I prefer it. It gets more estery the higher you go but I do like beers fermented with that strain. Brother Poptop, I know I mention the fridge thing a lot but I went from the cooler/tub-of-water thing to a cheap fridge and of course, I said Why didn't I do that earlier? You never have to worry about it once the primary is in there. You can go on vacation or whatever and just not think about it. Take it out for the d-rest and you're fine. If you don't have the space or your wife is going to freak, then don't worry about it. I work at home and rotating frozen water bottles would be a non-issue but I still might forget it or I might be out for the weekend or whatever. Lots of used fridges on CL. Otherwise, I would say that your cooler situation is okay for lager primary as long as you keep that mid-50s thing going. I typically try to ferment near the lower end of the range but that's just me.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

For mid fifties I'd use a strain like 1007. It will make a lager like beer fairly easily. Get the fridge and use the right temps for the lager strains and make some clean beer.

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yea, I know....  Fellas I appreciate your advice.  Stuff I already knew unfortunately.  Space is the issue.

Btw; I've never tried 1007 but have heard good things.  Would it offer that "Pilsnery" flavor and aroma?

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 11 April 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Btw; I've never tried 1007 but have heard good things.  Would it offer that "Pilsnery" flavor and aroma?

Personally, I don't think so. Some might disagree and I suppose that I am biased because I really like that character that you get from a yeast strain designed for pilsner production. 2124, 2278, 830, 940, 800, 802, 2782, etc. all give you that character. 1007 is a great yeast but I don't think it will give you that.

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Even a wine fridge would work.  I was given one and I bypassed the internal controls and I have got it cold enough to freeze and entire carboy :crazy:

I've been using a Haier wine fridge for 6.5yrs to ferment in. The problem was that the factory thermostat only adj from 45-65f.  I found the factory temp sensor behind the cold plate and pulled it out the back of the fridge. It now reads room temp and keeps the compressor kicked in all the time. My STC 1000 controls the temp now and allows me to set it as cold as I dare. Saved me having to mess with the factory wiring.

I'll beat a dead horse and once again recommend W34/70 dry lager yeast for warmer fermentations. Works good for me (very clean) all the way up to 57F. :deadhorse:

Edited by chils, 11 April 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:07 AM

2124 (same as W34/70, maybe) and 2308 will stay clean into the 50s.  If you are looking for lager character, you'll get closer with those fermented a little warm than a hybrid yeast fermented cool.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

2124 (same as W34/70, maybe) and 2308 will stay clean into the 50s.  If you are looking for lager character, you'll get closer with those fermented a little warm than a hybrid yeast fermented cool.

Did you mean 60s? I've actually heard that 2124 has its normal 48-58° range but then it has a warmer range where it will perform well too. Never tried it though.

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Did you mean 60s? I've actually heard that 2124 has its normal 48-58° range but then it has a warmer range where it will perform well too. Never tried it though.

I meant 50's, because that's what Poptop asked about, but they will stay clean into the low 60s.  Not quite Pilsner clean, perhaps, but cleaner than 1056. They'll certainly make a crisp, clean Steam Beer at those temperatures. By 65F they'll still make a nice beer, but they start to get noticeably fruity by then.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I meant 50's, because that's what Poptop asked about, but they will stay clean into the low 60s.  Not quite Pilsner clean, perhaps, but cleaner than 1056. They'll certainly make a crisp, clean Steam Beer at those temperatures. By 65F they'll still make a nice beer, but they start to get noticeably fruity by then.

Yeah, I'm always squeamish about the higher temps with a lager yeast because of the potential fruitiness. But it appears that most of these lager strains will do mid 50s without issue. It's the middle-to-high end of the range but it's still in the ideal temp range.

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

Yeah, I'm always squeamish about the higher temps with a lager yeast because of the potential fruitiness. But it appears that most of these lager strains will do mid 50s without issue. It's the middle-to-high end of the range but it's still in the ideal temp range.

I was always led to believe that you might as well dump a lager that gets above 50F, but my true lagers spend very little time below that and I've made quite a few that were never that low.  I've mostly played with high 50s and low 60s with Steam Beers designed to put a generation on a fresh pack of yeast, but the ones below 60-62 have been remarkably good.  Even the ones I made at 64-65F were good, but they were starting to get noticeable ale-like character, with grape and cherry esters that I couldn't taste at the lower temps.

If I'm brewing a Pilsner, of course, I start it at 48F for a few days to make the best Pilsner possible.  I just wish I had made some at slightly warmer temperatures, years ago, instead of being afraid to use Lager yeast without temperature control. I've made some pale Alts with 1007 and a lager recipe that were pretty great, though.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

I was always led to believe that you might as well dump a lager that gets above 50F, but my true lagers spend very little time below that and I've made quite a few that were never that low.  I've mostly played with high 50s and low 60s with Steam Beers designed to put a generation on a fresh pack of yeast, but the ones below 60-62 have been remarkably good.  Even the ones I made at 64-65F were good, but they were starting to get noticeable ale-like character, with grape and cherry esters that I couldn't taste at the lower temps. If I'm brewing a Pilsner, of course, I start it at 48F for a few days to make the best Pilsner possible.  I just wish I had made some at slightly warmer temperatures, years ago, instead of being afraid to use Lager yeast without temperature control. I've made some pale Alts with 1007 and a lager recipe that were pretty great, though.

It's funny you say that. I like 2112/810 at about 56-58° because it stays very clean. I have been using 2565 the past few weeks right at 60° and I would use 1007 around that temp as well. My lagers typically go right at 50° because it seems to be a spot that all lager strains can agree on. Some go down to 48° but 50° is still good. But I can also use 1056 or WLP001 at 60° as long as the yeast is healthy and abundant and get a good, clean ale from it. Beers that ferment higher can get too estery and 'unclean'. If I were to attack lager fermentation now, I would probably still start with a tub of water or a cooler but the fridge thing is just too easy and I make a lot of lagers so my lager primary fridge is pretty much in use all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users