#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

I got a chance to brew this weekend so I didn't let it slip by me.  It just came up Sunday, unfortunately all the LHBSs in the area are all closed on Sundays so I had to make due with what I had on hand. 

I was thinking about the beers I really enjoy as my go to beers when I'm out - SNPA and Summit Extra Pale Ale.  I know Jamil is always talking about Midwestern Pale Ales having too much caramel malt but I like it so :P.  Both finished Cascades.  Wait a sec, I just got a pound of Cascades, lets use a bunch.

6 gallon Batch

OG: 1.052

IBU 45ish

10 # Cargill Pale Malt

1 # Muntons C60

.5oz Centennial 10% AA @ 60min

.5oz Centennial 10% AA @ 30min

2 oz Cascade 5.6% AA @ 10min

2 oz Cascade 5.6% AA @ 175dF Whirlpool for 30min

Fermenting away on S-04 @ 60dF

Mashed Basser style @ 155dF for 60 min

Water:

Ca 144

Mg 4

Na 11

SO4 256

Cl 50

I'm looking for that great resiny mouth feel you get from a SNPA.  S-04 is the yeast I had on hand, so I went with it.  I'll keep it in the lower 60s until it slows down and I'll let it rise to 68 to clean up.  I really like this yeast and find it quite versatile that and floccs like a rock.  This should be done just in time to bribe my friends and family with to help me move at the end of May. B)

#2 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

Looks good JP. I brewed BYOs clone for Summit Pale Ale a few years ago and it came out very good. I think it had 1lb of C80 in it and Cascades. No shame in loving a little crystal.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

I typically like lower crystal beers but I see nothing wrong with the beer you have.  9% crystal has its place and I think that beer will turn out fine.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

This should be done just in time to bribe my friends and family with to help me move at the end of May. B)

I have found good beers can be made with or without a substantial % of crystal malt. Excepting, of course, that SN-Celebration Ale, clearly ruined by 11% C-60. Guess it must be from the midwest. :D

BTW, if this lasts until the end of May… you have failed.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

The recipe screams ease and simplicity.  Well done.  Basing the assumption of "high quaffability" :)

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

I have found good beers can be made with or without a substantial % of crystal malt. Excepting, of course, that SN-Celebration Ale, clearly ruined by 11% C-60. Guess it must be from the midwest. :D

BTW, if this lasts until the end of May… you have failed.

Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!  Do not talk badly of the Cele!!!!

:crybaby:

#7 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

I just took a grav sample and it came in at 1.013.  Not sweet at all, very balanced for being flat and warm.  I'm going to cold crash it and bottle this one on Saturday if all goes to plan.  Unlike my lager, this will go grain to glass in roughly 4 weeks!  :cabbagepatch:

#8 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

All carbed up, finally, we moved and I put my uncarbed beer in the basement... and it' was only 60ish down there.  Took a little extra time to carb up but it is citrusy and delicious.  This is precisely what I think of when I think of a pale ale. 

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

that is a fine looking recipe, pretty close to Mirror Pond

#10 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

that is a fine looking recipe, pretty close to Mirror Pond

That's where I got the hopping idea.  Then I went with the SNPA mashing schedule.  It's a nice full bodied pale ale.  But you are right it tastes an awful lot like Mirror Pond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users