#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

I really wanted to love this beer, but it fell short of expectations.  It suffers from the same fate as the session pale ale I brewed a few years ago, just too much IBU for the malt backbone to support.  It leaves it with an harsh, slightly overpowering bitterness.  It could use more late hopping, too.  The simple fact is that it's just really difficult to support a massive load of hops in a 4.7ABV beer with a sparse grain bill.  Founders needs to work on it.

It's been a while since I had it, but the beer that springs to mind when I think of lower gravity, hoppy IPAs is Haverhill Brewing's Leather Lips.  Only 5% ABV but a strong late hop presence and pleasing bitterness.

I'm still on my quest to brew a sub-4% pale ale with body and great hop character.  I guess I should start brewing again... :covreyes:

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm still on my quest to brew a sub-4% pale ale with body and great hop character.  I guess I should start brewing again... :covreyes:

Start at message #16. Mash a little hotter or attenuate less and you are at 4% or lower. Go with my hop schedule or pick your own 'cause the malt bill is the critical part of the recipe. Dont forget your 170F hop steep.

https://www.brews-br...-apa/?p=1367081

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Tried it on tap at the brewery the other day and I thought it was sublime.

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

I tried it at Founders likewise, A good session IPA.

#5 Rattfink

Rattfink

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationIn a knife fight with a gypsy.

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

Look to the classic bitter for inspiration. 

-Use the best quality base malt you can find.

-Mash high

-Use a moderate amount of great flavor/ aroma hops.

-You're using minimal ingredients so quality and freshness is paramount. Don't use of the ass ends of stuff laying around. 

-Use a moderately attenuating yeast. 

And I basically agree on this review for all "Session IPAs." Nothing more than basic pale ales with shittier balance. Good marketing though. 

Edited by Rattfink, 10 July 2016 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users