#1 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Five weeks ago I brewed this as an experiment.11gallon batch10lb 2 Roll8lb Wheat1lb Special B1lb Oats2oz Willamette @ 60 min12 bags Chamomile @ 5 min1oz Cascades @ 5 minpost boil OG 1.052Yeast the stepped up dregs of Three PhilosopherThe beer is in a stainless 1/2 keg fermenter with a 3/16" Plexiglas cover.There is a solid color pellicle covering the top of the beer.My question is with the Plexiglas cover should I move the beer? My thinking the Plexiglas might be to O2 permeable.Or leave it a few months than move it. Maybe waiting till the SG gets close to 1.010.The beer is setting on a Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast cake.

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1493 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

First a pic would be cool if you have one. I love me a good pellicle.The plexi is O2 permeable however if you've got a good pellicle on there I wouldn't worry to much. One thing the pellicle does is keep out O2 as to prevent aerobic organisms from taking hold.

#3 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

First a pic would be cool if you have one. I love me a good pellicle.The plexi is O2 permeable however if you've got a good pellicle on there I wouldn't worry to much. One thing the pellicle does is keep out O2 as to prevent aerobic organisms from taking hold.

Agree on both the pic and O2. I say wait until the pellicle falls and then rack or package it.

#4 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

Best I can do don't have clearance to get a pix farther away.Posted ImageI do have a clear glass skillet lid that fits tight on the keg. Wonder if it would be better to put it on?

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about the lid too much. I fermented a Flanders Red entirely in a plastic bucket and it was fine. The sourness actually developed more in the bottle over a year's time after it had spent 9 months or so in the bucket. It was right on, so I don't think you're going to get too much O2 related character with the plexiglass lid even if it is permeable. And like was mentioned already the pellicle may prevent some gas exchange. Cool pic though! Still waiting for the pellicle to form on my Saison-ish brew.

#6 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19134 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

That's a fine looking pellicle. My last sour beer pellicle didn't look half as solid after four months.

Best I can do don't have clearance to get a pix farther away.Posted ImageI do have a clear glass skillet lid that fits tight on the keg. Wonder if it would be better to put it on?

#7 DrunkenPanther

DrunkenPanther

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

+1 on what everyone else said. I wouldn't worry. That pellicle looks darn fine!

#8 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

I am actually a little concerned because even though it has cherry lambic in there, I was told by the brewer that it is pasteurized for stability on the shelf. Perhaps this has changed recently. From what he said though, if they left the bugs in there, they would have some massive bottle bombs on their hands, as the base Quad is kinda sweetish.

#9 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see where in your recipe you added the Brett...

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

My thoughts exactly.

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

My thoughts exactly.

Yep, I would be worried about an infection. The Three Philosophers like you said has no live sour bugs in it. Otherwise the beer would dry out in the bottle. The Lambic they add is pasteurized, killing the bugs. That's why the Lindemann's Lambics are so sweet.It would be interesting to see what is actually infecting the beer though. What does it taste/smell like?

#12 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

Yep, I would be worried about an infection. The Three Philosophers like you said has no live sour bugs in it. Otherwise the beer would dry out in the bottle. The Lambic they add is pasteurized, killing the bugs. That's why the Lindemann's Lambics are so sweet.It would be interesting to see what is actually infecting the beer though. What does it taste/smell like?

Too late to edit, but I'm not 100% sure the Lindemann's lambics are pasteurized. I do know for certain that there are no live bugs in it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users