#1 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Has anyone had much luck growing hops from shoot pull-outs? I read on homebrewtalk that a few people had, so I am gonna root all the shoots I pull out that have any rootlike ends.I have Sterling, Centennial, Cascade, Willamette, Zeus, and Fuggles. If any Chicagoland area bros would be interested in any, PM me.

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

I would be interested in this as well, as I just planted rhizomes this year.What I think I may do though, is to take a 'spare' bine, and route it back in to the ground in a loop, so it is still attached to the rhizome, then partly in the ground, then back out of the ground. If I remember correctly, this should be able to produce rooted shoots that will eventually become rhizomes. I might try using a rooting hormone as well to see if that helps.I assume for you to root the cut shoots, you need a decent length of the shoot in order for it to have enough energy to produce roots. If you experiment with this, let us know how it goes!

#3 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

I plan on pulling them out, not cutting them. Any that have any root-like structure will get potted, or placed in some water like how ivy cuttings are rooted.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

I plan on pulling them out, not cutting them. Any that have any root-like structure will get potted, or placed in some water like how ivy cuttings are rooted.

careful, hops root fairly shallow

#5 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

careful, hops root fairly shallow

Posted ImageThis was 3 weeks ago, there are close to 30 shoots, all over a foot long, on 2nd year plants. I doubt that I will uproot my crowns by tugging on shoots.

#6 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

i got some 3 real strong fuggle shoots growing trimmed down from 14sterling would be nice :facepalm:

Edited by CarlosM, 01 May 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#7 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

i got some 3 real strong fuggle shoots growing trimmed down from 14sterling would be nice :rolf:

Here is your baby, all ready to adopt.Posted ImageFugglesPosted ImageCentennialPosted ImageWillamettePosted ImageA bunch of themPosted Image

#8 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

it's.... so beautiful.... they're just babies.

#9 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

it's.... so beautiful.... they're just babies.

I know, I just couldn't compost them. They were looking at me with those happy little hoppy faces, and I just had to find new homes for them.Sterling is Carlos', but all others are open for adoption local to Chicagoland brewers.

#10 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

cool, I was looking at my chinook wondering if that would work. they are sprouting and sending runners everywhere. I think I have some little pots like that and I'll try to root some of them.

#11 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

cool, I was looking at my chinook wondering if that would work. they are sprouting and sending runners everywhere. I think I have some little pots like that and I'll try to root some of them.

If they have little rootlets on them, they will grow, otherwise its 50/50. A little Rootblast fertilizer is a big help. I swear by this stuff.........https://www.rootblast.com/

#12 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

3 more Fuggles ,1 Willamette, and 1 Centennial rooted today.

#13 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

If they have little rootlets on them, they will grow, otherwise its 50/50.

Yes, the firm white stem pieces with root hair/millipede legs all over?

https://www.rootblast.com/

Sweet, good tip!

#14 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

1 Centennial, and 1 Willamette are going to a good home this evening. Still have plenty to give out to locals.

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Man I wish I was near Chicago I would take you up on your offer Great. They look good.

#16 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

Rhoobarb just went home with a Willamette, and a Centennial. Not to mention a buzz from the few brews we partook in.

#17 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

4 more people went home as the proud new parents of adopted hops today. Really enjoyed making new friends, and drinkin about 8 different homebrews that they brought out.Still got a few more.

#18 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

4 more people went home as the proud new parents of adopted hops today. Really enjoyed making new friends, and drinkin about 8 different homebrews that they brought out.Still got a few more.

youre a hop dealer!!!!

#19 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

youre a hop dealer!!!!

Just another notch in muh dealer belt :devil:

#20 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

What I am doing with some of my first year growth, is to redirect some of the bines back in to the soil and out again. I have heard this will cause that section of the bine to grow roots, and ultimately become a separate rhizome if the base of the bine is cut.I do the same thing with rosemary to initiate clonal propagation. This way, I will be able to produce more rhizomes from even the first year's growth. I probably don't need any more plants (total of 24 rhizomes that I planted this year), but I do know some brew club members that would be interested in growing them maybe next year, and I am not going to dig up my original rhizomes after the first year (maybe 2nd, but definitely 3rd year I will start to split them up).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users