#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Two Beers Diverged into the Fermenters and I’m trying to sort out a path less traveled. Sadly, I have no beer at the moment due to some healthy family and friend consumption, and I want to refill my coffers quickly. Proposing a 10 gallon batch split between two yeasts; Belle Saison and 001. This way I can use my swamp cooler for the 001 and let the Saison go on its own with no temp control.The base hops would be the same but then I could also DH the 001 etc… Is there any problem if I steep some crystal on the stove and then boil it with some DME (1 gallon’ish) and then pitch it into the 001 fermenter? I assume I could also add a small amount of hops to this boil?All I’m trying to do is produce a nice volume of beer quickly with variety. Is there any hope or am I off my rocker?Thanks, Poptop Frost

#2 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:45 AM

Your idea sounds reasonable.

You may want to leave the 001 fermenter a bit short on volume, so when you add the crystal/DME stove-top wort, you get your target volume in the fermenter.  (You already knew that, I'm sure, but I feel better saying so out loud).

You could even time it on brewday that you do the main brew and the stove-top work in parallel, so that when you fill your fermentors, everything is in before pitching the yeast.

Just a thought.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thank you. Based on my set up I would shoot for about 10 gallons in the kettle, which would allow me a full Saison and the stove batch to top off the 001 batch.Is there any problem if I make the stove top a day or two ahead of time and chill it in the fridge and then pitch?

#4 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:00 AM

For sanitation purposes, I'd suggest making the stove-top part the night before, and let it sit in the fridge until the next day, and then add to the 001 fermentor as planned.

If everything is properly sanitized, this should work well, but I'd be leery of letting unpitched wort sit more than 24 hours.

Just my opinion.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:12 AM

Thank you Sir.

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

That all sounds good to me.

What about a double brew day.  When I needed to make beer fast, I did 2-10 gallon batches overlapping them so it was not double the brew time but more like 1.5 times.  It starts to feel like work, but you end up with 20 gallons. 

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

That's not a bad idea either and I have done that. But family and honey do's never end. I'm a considerate brewer hahahahaaa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users