#1 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hadnt seen a who's brewing in a while so I thought I would catch us up.

Week before last - small batch of an IPA experiment.

Last week - canned 21 quarts of starter wort.

Today - small batch of brown ale.

Soon - need to do some bottling off the kegs to make some room and do some racking.

#2 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Ill be brewing a BPA tomorrow morning using my new electric BIAB rig.

Dan

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

Brewed the Irish Red last week....thinking of kegging it tomorrow, that nottingham is done.

Trying to find a honey cream ale kit right now.  After I brew that, I may not brew again for 5 months or so.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

Huh - guess I forgot to hit post.  Simple RyePA tomorrow.

And need to keg a FYB so a fermenter is available.  ~40% Basmati rice

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54024 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

Made THIS today.

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Brewed the Irish Red last week....thinking of kegging it tomorrow, that nottingham is done.

Trying to find a honey cream ale kit right now.  After I brew that, I may not brew again for 5 months or so.

Say what now?

#7 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:28 PM

Say what now?

This.

Huh - guess I forgot to hit post.  Simple RyePA tomorrow.

And need to keg a FYB so a fermenter is available.  ~40% Basmati rice

Its late (for me) and I have had a couple beers. .......  FYB?

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

Fill Your Blonde….

Ale

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

Brewing Hefeweizen tomorrow.

Interesting thing happened. I needed room in the fridge to chill my starter wort. Well I had a fermenter in there for over a year with a batch of hopped up MLPA. I tried it over a year ago and I wasn't happy with the flavor. I dry hopped with some more whole mt hood hops, closed it up and put it in the fridge.

Well, I needed the space so I was going to dump it. I opened it up to see if there was a pellicle or something, well no pellicle, just beer soaked hops floating on the surface. These have been in there for over a year.

Well, I didn't think it would be any good, but I was curious, so I grabbed a glass and dipped it in. Actually... pretty darned good beer! The closest thing I could say it tastes like would be Arrogant Bastard if AB was 5%. I think the hopping and oxidation made it a damn good beer. Unfortunately, I don't have any kegging stuff here and I didn't sanitize the glass thinking it would suck, so I ended up dumping it anyway. Oh well. I tell you what though it makes me want to try and do some aging experiments. In the IPA book the burton IPA's would be aged for a year before they were served or packaged and shipped. I think there's something to that. Obviously not all beer will do well, but I think some might. I'm gonna make this beer again and try again sometime.

Cheers!

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

Funny you say that about Arrogant Bastard. The few times I have had it, it has turned out to be an old oxidized caramel bomb. Never been able to get that beer fresh enough to appreciate it.My personal tastes are that oxidized hops dont taste good, and worse when they are American hops, and even worse when combined with any significant amount of caramel malt. Oxidized caramel malt and hops are a really bad combination IMO. This is where I think a lot of the anti-caramel malt movement comes from.... Pro brewers who have a hoppy product to sell and have no idea how long it will be on the shelf or sitting warm in a keg at some bar waiting for an open tap. Get rid of the caramel malt and you have a product that will taste better longer. Case-in-point, SN Celebration... It arrives in November fresh, hoppy and fantastically delicious. Few people chastize the "abomination" of 11% caramel malt in that beer. Try drinking a bottle of it now that it is March. Its a sweet caramelly oxidized mess of a beer at this point IMO. Oxidized Cascade and Chinook has a terrible flavor to me. No thanks. SNCA is a seasonal so its easy to tell how long its been on the shelf (and it generally flies off the shelf) but there are a lot of commercial brewers who's IPAs sit warm on shelves much longer.Anyways, its late and Im droning on so sorry for the long stupid rant. But while oxidized hops aren't for me I think if you like that flavor you may be onto something and your aging experiment is worth a try. I have known other people that like that flavor too. I do wonder though how many of us would actually like the flavor of those storied Burton IPAs.

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

I have to make some beer, going to be an IPA i believe. And will rack my first Red Lager off the yeast this weekend. Next weekend i plan on another Lager.

"Last week - canned 21 quarts of starter wort."- chef Lamont. ....that seems like a lot of starter wort...How long does that last  you?

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

This.

Fizzy Yellow Beer

#13 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9745 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Say what now?

Wedding in April, that pretty much shuts down brewing the week before, the week of, and the week after.  At that time, i'll still have at least  2 kegs that will almost be full.   Unless I have a cookout at the house and invite a ton of people over, I doubt I'll drink 10+ gallons of homebrew.

I like to think that I buy less beer, but all of the trips we have planned out of town and the convenience of several places that fill growlers.....I just won't need to have THAT much beer on hand.

#14 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

My electric BIAB is boiling as we speak.  So far its been an outstanding day,  got my PH dead on, gravity after the mash was dead on and its boiling nicely.  I'm liking this BIAB.

Dan

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:29 AM

My electric BIAB is boiling as we speak.  So far its been an outstanding day,  got my PH dead on, gravity after the mash was dead on and its boiling nicely.  I'm liking this BIAB.

Dan

:frank:

Glad to hear it's working well for you.

#16 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

httpss://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11025785_10203918220059076_7664129805418766822_n.jpg?oh=2f2f30248bfd0617381af71fba3bf9ff&oe=5588971A

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Boiling the hefe right now. Getting the chill set up ready. My conversion was a bit low. Last time I did this I think it was because the crush sucked. Now I think it's because I have 20% flaked oats. I think I'll add some more pilsner and a little 6 row next time and reduce the oats by 5%. Hopefully I can still get a pillowy mouthfeel. I know hefe doesn't generally have oats, but I think the beer can really benefit from that mouthfeel and make it really enjoyable.

I did the ferulic acid rest for 20 minutes. Then mashed at 150.5 for an hour. I added 4 points of pils DME to make up for the lower gravity. I think this will be a really good hefe.

Cheers!

#18 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Classic American Pils hopefully this Tuesday.

Pils malt, some flaked corn, and Hallertau/Tett to ~40 IBU's and an OG of ~1.064 for 5.5 gallons in the primary.

#19 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

Dan

That's great.  Look forward to the full report.

But, Dan, ONE MORE TIME:

pH = the measure of the acidity or basicity of an aqueous solution.

PH = a place where you can have unending inane arguments with all the drama of a junior high girls sleepover.

:D ;)

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:11 AM

Split my BDSA; adding 2 scraped and chopped vanilla beans and 8 ounces of seared dried tart cherries to 2 gallons. Deglazed the pan with a little George Dickel Rye. Keeping 3 gallons pure & un-####ed with :)Also kegged a Simcoe, Amarillo, Mosaic APA.Next brew session 2-weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users