positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

check for leaks.  ####!!!!

freshly filled tank gone.  SOB so annoying.  looks like I'll be turning off the tank entirely from now on in the kegerator.  I've got a leak somewhere from the manifold back through the regulator (had the manifold turned off so I know it's not the kegs).

Edited by Evil_Morty, 03 March 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

I feel your pain.  Similar problem.  Have a splitter to manifold and carb connection.  Leak at carb connection cost me a tank last week.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

Ive never left my tanks on. I open the valve on the one for my kegerator when the pressure drops a point or so. Usually about ~10 pints.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

Just went through the same thing. Drained a 25# tank before I found it. Since I added new clamps it is all good. Good luck finding it.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

I got a small leak somewhere. I think it might be in the regulator itself. More specifically the oring on the plug behind the adjustment knob.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

yeah, I feel your pain, had this happen more than once

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:51 PM

Been there. I dont leave the tank on unless I am carbonating now. Whole 20 lb down the drain before.

#8 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:50 AM

I have a bottle of soapy water I spray over all my connections whenever I swap bottles to check for leaks.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

so this is a tank that's in a small kegerator.  it will be a PITA to turn it on/off b/c it's tight in there but I guess that's the lesson I've learned :covreyes:

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

So when I finally build a keezer what is the key to keeping my system from leaking? Sounds like a leak is almost inevitable at some point.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

So when I finally build a keezer what is the key to keeping my system from leaking? Sounds like a leak is almost inevitable at some point.

turn off the tank right at the source (the valve) when you aren't using it is pretty much the only sure way.  then when you have a leak it's just a little bit in the line and not an entire tank.

it's not that much for me to get this tank filled, only $12.  it's more the hassle of driving to the welding supply shop during the week that bothers me.

so I kind of suspect the leak is going to be in the manifold.  it's made of brass and has a couple of check valves on it.  can I just submerge the whole thing in water?  no problems with that right?

#12 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:27 AM

My bottle was inside the kegerator but I moved it to the outside.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

turn off the tank right at the source (the valve) when you aren't using it is pretty much the only sure way. then when you have a leak it's just a little bit in the line and not an entire tank.it's not that much for me to get this tank filled, only $12. it's more the hassle of driving to the welding supply shop during the week that bothers me.so I kind of suspect the leak is going to be in the manifold. it's made of brass and has a couple of check valves on it. can I just submerge the whole thing in water? no problems with that right?

Definitely just submerge the whole thing in water. I had a small leak one time that I just could not find using a bottle of soapy water. Submerged the whole manifold in a bucket of water and it was clearly obvious then. My kegerator is completely leak free right now.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

Definitely just submerge the whole thing in water. I had a small leak one time that I just could not find using a bottle of soapy water. Submerged the whole manifold in a bucket of water and it was clearly obvious then. My kegerator is completely leak free right now.

I'll also be checking the hose clamps.  do regulators ever leak?  mine is only about 5 years old.  do I ever need to replace the gasket that presses up against the CO2 fitting on the tank?  everything looks to be in good shape.

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

I'll also be checking the hose clamps. do regulators ever leak? mine is only about 5 years old. do I ever need to replace the gasket that presses up against the CO2 fitting on the tank? everything looks to be in good shape.

I've only changed that gasket if I knew it was leaking or if it looked damaged.And yeah regulators do leak. Using soapy water I can see I have a leak on the regulator for my carbing tank. Coming right out of the plug opposite side of the adjustment knob.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

I've only changed that gasket if I knew it was leaking or if it looked damaged.And yeah regulators do leak. Using soapy water I can see I have a leak on the regulator for my carbing tank. Coming right out of the plug opposite side of the adjustment knob.

ugh.  hoping it's the manifold.

#17 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

Like I said, a spray bottle of soapy water is your friend.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:00 AM

I'll also be checking the hose clamps.  do regulators ever leak?  mine is only about 5 years old.  do I ever need to replace the gasket that presses up against the CO2 fitting on the tank?  everything looks to be in good shape.

I have a 4 regulator secondary setup and I think at least one of them is leaking.  I took it out of the system and just use a straight manifold right now and also installed all new oetiker clamps that are the proper size and so far I am leak free!

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

I see a couple of you guys mentioning new clamps - how does that help?  I didn't think those clamps really got old.

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

turn off the tank right at the source (the valve) when you aren't using it is pretty much the only sure way.  then when you have a leak it's just a little bit in the line and not an entire tank.

it's not that much for me to get this tank filled, only $12.  it's more the hassle of driving to the welding supply shop during the week that bothers me.

so I kind of suspect the leak is going to be in the manifold.  it's made of brass and has a couple of check valves on it.  can I just submerge the whole thing in water?  no problems with that right?

What sized bottle are you getting filled for 12 bucks!?!?!  20# is like $30 here now.

And yes, soapy or starsan water is your friend.  Minimize connections in the design.  Dont skimp on the manifolds.  You dont have to loose that much CO2 with a cobbled together manifold before you are at the cost of the nice micromatic manifold.  I have been here done this several times with several systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users