#41 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

I keep good records of every all-grain batch that I have ever brewed.  As such I was easily able to plot the following graph.  This proves that there is a definite but slight change in attenuation based on mash temperature alone and ignoring all other variables.  It's slight because over the course of 15 degrees from 145 to 160 F, average attenuation only drops by 5%.  From 145 to 150 F (just 5 degrees), the difference is 2%.  So, can you get better attenuation by mashing low?  Yes, yes you can.  However the benefit is less than many people might think.

Posted Image

#42 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

That can't be for the same yeast and fermentation temperature. If that was the case I think you wouldn't see nearly as much variability.

#43 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

That can't be for the same yeast and fermentation temperature. If that was the case I think you wouldn't see nearly as much variability.

I don't think he was claiming that.  That was just a bunch of different batches of different beers he made.  It's a little bit of a problem though b/c he may have been thinking "I want a lower or higher FG in this beer" and then done multiple things that he thought would help get him there, mash temp being one of them.

#44 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

The graph includes all different styles and all different yeasts, but still shows a slight trend on the overall average.  Represented in there are probably about 60-65% of all BJCP styles.  And I really don't purposely adjust the mash temperature too much.  My goal is usually 150 F or occasionally 148 F, but I don't record the goal, I record the actual average mash temperature achieved, which obviously has varied a lot, as much as 5 or even 10 degrees in a few cases (probably the earlier days).

#45 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

Average mash time, by the way, was about 45 minutes.  I do mash longer for greater attenuation in some styles, but more than half of these batches were mashed for about 40-50 minutes, not a full hour.

#46 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

I've really only tried the full range of temperatures with Pale Ales, Bitters and Milds. That would be with Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt or Thomas Fawcett MO. On the other hand, I can usually get most styles down to 1.010, or a little less, by mashing low and managing the grist.

I find that MO tends to have more of an issue with finishing sweet than the American malt, in my hands, and I've always had a problem getting rid of the residual sweetness from Crystal Malts. That would probably be less of an issue if I used American Ale yeast, but I haven't used it for years.

I find this even more interesting. I specifically use Canada Malting 2-row and Pale Ale malt and have since 2005 or so. Yea back when a sack cost $16.00!  I use this grain for 90% of all the beer I brew. No issues whatsoever getting a beer to 1.010. Don't tell anyone but I think Canada Malting is one of the better base malts out there. 

#47 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:43 AM

I find this even more interesting. I specifically use Canada Malting 2-row and Pale Ale malt and have since 2005 or so. Yea back when a sack cost $16.00!  I use this grain for 90% of all the beer I brew. No issues whatsoever getting a beer to 1.010. Don't tell anyone but I think Canada Malting is one of the better base malts out there. 

I agree.  It's usually the cheapest but I also think it's very good.

#48 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

I find this even more interesting. I specifically use Canada Malting 2-row and Pale Ale malt and have since 2005 or so. Yea back when a sack cost $16.00! I use this grain for 90% of all the beer I brew. No issues whatsoever getting a beer to 1.010. Don't tell anyone but I think Canada Malting is one of the better base malts out there.

I agree, it's a great malt. I also have no problem getting it down below 1.010, if I mash low. I didn't mean to say otherwise, if I accidentally did. I also have no problem getting it to finish up over 1.012, if I mash high. In both cases, that would be with British yeasts. I often

#49 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

To me my Mash temp depends on what I'm brewing.... West coast style ales 150f, lagers are multi steps, but 147f is the target, Barleywine Impy stouts, etc 152-154f... Belgians 147-150f.. It just depends

Edited by Creeper, 06 March 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#50 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

I find this even more interesting. I specifically use Canada Malting 2-row and Pale Ale malt and have since 2005 or so. Yea back when a sack cost $16.00! I use this grain for 90% of all the beer I brew. No issues whatsoever getting a beer to 1.010. Don't tell anyone but I think Canada Malting is one of the better base malts out there.

Yeah good stuff! Just picked up a few more sacks last weekend, $29!

#51 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:09 AM

To me my Mash temp depends on what I'm brewing.... West coast style ales 150f, lagers are multi steps, but 147f is the target, Barleywine Impy stouts, etc 152-154f... Belgians 147-150f.. It just depends

Depends. Meaning I will actually mash lower on very high ABV beers because more often than not mashing high on these types of beers can, regardless of pitch rate, will leave the beer under attenuated. Big beers and styles like Doppelbock there is a fine line with attenuation where you want some maltiness but not sweetness from under attenuating. Regardless what Lou thinks about sweet vs maltiness. *Insert PH jab here*   :)

Edited by BlKtRe, 06 March 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#52 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Depends. Meaning I will actually mash lower on very high ABV beers because more often than not mashing high on these types of beers can, regardless of pitch rate, will leave the beer under attenuated. Big beers and styles like Doppelbock there is a fine line with attenuation where you want some maltiness but not sweetness from under attenuating. Regardless what Lou thinks about sweet vs maltiness. *Insert PH jab here*   :)

I saw that coming a mile away.

I agree though, some big beer need a lower mash and even then you have to play some games to get them to finish out.

#53 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43053 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

Depends. Meaning I will actually mash lower on very high ABV beers because more often than not mashing high on these types of beers can, regardless of pitch rate, will leave the beer under attenuated. Big beers and styles like Doppelbock there is a fine line with attenuation where you want some maltiness but not sweetness from under attenuating. Regardless what Lou thinks about sweet vs maltiness. *Insert PH jab here* :)

Wasn't asking a question... But thanks ;)

#54 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

Wasn't asking a question... But thanks ;)

I wasn't answering a question. It was a comment. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users