#1 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

It's been 2 years now, and it's time to get back into the game.....I just spent a bunch of cash of stainless quick disconnects, and a bunch of high temp silicone tubing..... Now I've decided that my old counter flow chiller is shit, and I need some MOAR QD's... I've decided the Blichman plate chiller is what I need, and since it the same price as a new all metal CFC its a no brainer... My system is an auto mated HERMS, with 2 x 2500 Johnson Control PID's for HLT, and Mash Tun. There is an auto controlled gas valve, with a Honeywell ignition switch... The auto gas valve turns on only half of the time, normally I have to manually open it.... The PIDs keep accurate temperature readings, and the Honeywell ignition starts the spark when needed. So I'm about 95% sure it's the gas valve... :stabby: I'll fix the gas valve issue before the next brew, but I will go manual on the first batch...Gonna brew 11 g of a Grisette on Sunday, can't wait!

Edited by Creeper, 09 March 2015 - 11:48 AM.

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

:frank: Welcome back!

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Gonna brew 11 g of a Grisette on Sunday, can't wait!

What yeast do you like to use for that?

#4 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

possibly saison yeast.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

possibly saison yeast.

Yes, I was looking maybe for a specific yeast. I used 3522 (not saison) in my Grisette but would like a little more character from mine next time.

Edited by nettles, 09 March 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:03 PM

Yes, I was looking maybe for a specific yeast. I used 3522 (not saison) in my Grisette but would like a little more character from mine next time.

when I make saisons I use 3711 so I would give that one a try if it were me, never made a grisette before 

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

when I make saisons I use 3711 so I would give that one a try if it were me, never made a grisette before 

Well I know dropping the gravity (a la grisette) generally reduces the character expressed by the yeast so yeah I was just looking for one that still produced a nice character at lower OG's. I like 3711, I'll have to look 'cause I don't think I've gone very low OG with that yeast. The other thing I think I'll try next time is to ditch the O2.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

If you haven't bought the therminator yet, check out dudadiesel. The pathways are larger, but you can get a bigger chiller for the same price that works just as well. I got a 60 plate mamajama that takes my wort from 210 - 78 with ground water (FL ground water) for about $300. Thermantor is $200 IIRC for comparison. I have both, BTW, and even though both work well, I'm more impressed with the dudadiesel. I can stage them together and get the wort down to 50 with recirculating ice water through the second.

#9 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:27 PM

Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit.... Gives a lot of flavor/ spice without adding anything to the beer

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

550 along with Spelt (thanks to armagh's suggestion)

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

550 along with Spelt (thanks to armagh's suggestion)

Same as 3522 I think.

Wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit.... Gives a lot of flavor/ spice without adding anything to the beer

Thanks. Another yeast I need to try.

#12 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:39 PM

If you haven't bought the therminator yet, check out dudadiesel. The pathways are larger, but you can get a bigger chiller for the same price that works just as well. I got a 60 plate mamajama that takes my wort from 210 - 78 with ground water (FL ground water) for about $300. Thermantor is $200 IIRC for comparison. I have both, BTW, and even though both work well, I'm more impressed with the dudadiesel. I can stage them together and get the wort down to 50 with recirculating ice water through the second.

I'm committed to the thermistor... $200 is the most I want to spend, and the shirt on chiller is a joke

#13 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Another question.... This is the new water profile I'm stuck withhttps://www.camrosa....ication2013.pdfHelp

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

Same as 3522 I think.

Yes Sirhttps://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

#15 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

Ok, so I went to the not so LHBS after work.(forgot DME for the starter), and the dudadiesel was in stock for $175, with a temp dial included :cabbagepatch:

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ok, so I went to the not so LHBS after work.(forgot DME for the starter), and the dudadiesel was in stock for $175, with a temp dial included :cabbagepatch:

Nice! How many plates?

#17 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:02 PM

#18 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43052 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

I'm committed to the thermistor... $200 is the most I want to spend, and the shirron chiller is a joke

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

That will get the job done nicely.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Another question.... This is the new water profile I'm stuck withhttps://www.camrosa....ication2013.pdfHelp

where are the numbers for calcium, mg, sodium and bicarb?  the chloride and the sulfate are good starting points for a lot of beers but you'd never want to make anything too delicate with numbers that high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users