#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

Anybody here have any experience with one? Link They originally had a model that ran off of an Arduino coupled to a Raspberry Pi for data logging over wifi. Well now they have this model that replaces the Arduino and adds a touch screen UI. I put a pre-order in for one over a month ago and just got shipping notification today. Excited to play around with this thing. Will be cool to monitor and adjust fermentation temps from anywhere. Word is they are going to work on a gravity sensor for it in the future. It can also do a lot more than just fermentation temps if you know how to program.

#2 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Nice thread on building your own over at HBT. I'm in the process of acquiring all of the parts.

https://www.homebrew...r-cheap-466106/

https://www.homebrew...uetooth-508151/

https://www.homebrew...lcd-add-510036/

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Cool.  There's so many variations on these brew controllers now, it's crazy.  Once I finally jump back in it's going to take awhile to sort through everything!

#4 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Here is a build using the same idea but with another board

https://www.homebrew...nterest-432207/

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

I have looked at it but havent jumped yet.  Will be interested in your experience with it.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:36 AM

Must be the spring time, but I'm getting a major itch to work on my brew system again.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25571 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

I am redesigning my brew rig. As part of the re-work I am adding a propane HERMS controlled by a PID, plus some other remote switch controlled elements.

I am going with a big box and a small control panel connected to the box. One consideration was a RaspberryPi with a touch screen interface. After I thought about the environment and the liquid and sticky fingers and programming required I am going with push buttons, toggle switches and LED indicators.

#8 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

Got the BrewPi Spark today, along with the temp sensors and a Raspberry Pi. Hope to get messing with it soon.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Got my Arduino today. Last one to automate their brewery is a rotten egg!!!

#10 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:45 PM

Got my Arduino today. Last one to automate their brewery is a rotten egg!!!

Haha, well I won't be actually automating my brew system with the BrewPi. Leaving that as is, in case you missed that thread https://www.brews-br...-brewery-build/ Will be using it for my ferm chamber.

Edited by matt6150, 17 March 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

Cool, I'll be interested to see how that goes.  That's my next step.  I have a "dumb" fermentation controller, just an A/C connected to a external thermostat controlled with a thermocouple.  Obviously that just cools the wort.  Having a microcontroller based ferm chamber seems like the way to go.  Much more options for temperature control points, logging and multiple outputs (heat and cool).  Much easier to write the code than an automated brewery, too!

#12 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

https://rasp.io/duino/

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Haha, well I won't be actually automating my brew system with the BrewPi. Leaving that as is, in case you missed that thread https://www.brews-br...-brewery-build/ Will be using it for my ferm chamber.

OK, so what's the build, heating/cooling method and control logic going to look like?

I'm leaning towards doing a Peltier based heater/cooler using the controller to invert the voltage to switch between heating an cooling.  Since my fermenters will only be 2-3 gallons it shouldn't be too bad maintain temp with a Peltier system.

#14 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:07 PM

Will be using a freezer and a heater bulb. I'm going to build a box with a couple SSR's controlling the power to the chamber.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how the project goes.

I'm planning on building standalone fermenter units.  Each fermenter will have it's own control system and be portable, no more chambers (for now anyway).  While chambers are great and efficient, I'm at a point where ease of handling and portability is trumping efficiency.

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for posting this.  Something I'll have to look into. :goodidea:

#17 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

So I got the RaspPi and BrewPi up and running, everthing is working good. Going to work on the freezer and get some holes in to to run temp probes. Also I am finishing up the box I built to house the SSR's. will post that pic later.

Posted Image

#18 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

So I got the RaspPi and BrewPi up and running, everthing is working good. Going to work on the freezer and get some holes in to to run temp probes. Also I am finishing up the box I built to house the SSR's. will post that pic later.

Posted Image

+1

#19 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

So here is the box I built to house the SSR's. I mounted it up and behind the freezer.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI managed to drill holes for temp probes without hitting a coolant line, which is nice. Also mounted a light bulb socket for the heater. I got the beer temp probe hanging from the center then the fridge temp near the back held up with a grommet.Posted ImageSo here is the Brewpi and RaspPi all connected and working. I need to make some kind of stand or box to put this stuff in. I have had it running since Saturday with a temp probe in a flask of water. Been holding 70F perfectly.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users