#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi All,I have some 8.1% French Aramis that I want to use in an FA. There is little to read on this hop and just as much input from fellow brewers and threads who have used it. In one of only a couple descriptions, it is highly recommended in FA's. And... oddly enough it's already sold out at Hops Direct....So, has anyone used Aramis and if so, wadda you have to say about it. And.. in my own attempt to learn about it, what do you's guys think about making a single hop beer?Small descriptor: herbal, citrus and Earl Gray

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:10 AM

https://www.barthhaa...arieties?id=243

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

How highly hopped are FA's typically?  if not much a single hop is probably fine.  if you really want to know what the hop is like you could make a small batch that is more highly hopped.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

Good point. From the book Farmhouse Ales it's written that Saisons should not be overly hopped, which to me is a contradiction to the "ever-open to interpretation"style.  I personally like my FA's with hop presence; not overbearing but definitely there.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:37 AM

do you have another FA that only uses one hop that you like?  maybe just make that but sub in this new hop.  it would give you a good baseline since you are only changing one variable.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:42 AM

do you have another FA that only uses one hop that you like?  maybe just make that but sub in this new hop.  it would give you a good baseline since you are only changing one variable.

I agree with this and I do the same thing with pale ales.  I have a base grain bill that i use bitter to a certain amount and only use the new hop for the rest of the hopping.  I have used this many times and really like the results.

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

Good idea.  For my more traditional FA's I like to use an ample amount of Hallertau to get my bitter going.  Perhaps I'll front load like normal and incorporate the Aramis on the finish, which will give me a great sense of what it brings to the party.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

I drank a NB Aramis IPA when it was available. It reminded me of Amarillo--fruity and floral. I believe they blended it with Saaz for that beer. I thought it was a fantastic pairing. Read some of the reviews to get a broader opinion of it.https://www.ratebeer...ale-ale/219179/

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

Interesting reviews, thank you Chils. I'm hoping for mild citrus and floral! I'm set for a sessionable 10 gallon Saison tomorrow morning; bittering with Hallertau on the front end and finishing with a generous amount of Aramis at 15, 5 and 0.Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users