Photo
- - - - -

Plans, secret ingredients, and beer stuff...

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

Got a gold for the kolsch again.

#82 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:25 AM

Wow, congrats!!!

#83 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Small update: we're trying to have a meeting with the owner of a location and they want to do it tomorrow at 10am. Same time I have an semi-important meeting at work. If I don't go to the meeting at work I won't lose my job, but I won't win any good will. Then again if I don't go to the meeting with the owner we might not get the location. I'm at an impass. Getting the meeting with the owner has been a royal pain in the ass.

#84 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Here's what you do...  think of the worst thing that can happen if you don't go to the meeting at work.  Then determine if you can live with that.  If the answer is no, go to work.  If the answer is yes, go to the meeting with owner of the location.  Good luck.

#85 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

Here's what you do...  think of the worst thing that can happen if you don't go to the meeting at work.  Then determine if you can live with that.  If the answer is no, go to work.  If the answer is yes, go to the meeting with owner of the location.  Good luck.

My partner went to the meeting. I went to work. I got to work and my meeting had been cancelled. FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUCK!!!!

Anyway, my partner did a good job, but it's gonna take several weeks, probably a month, to work things out. We don't have a lease yet, but it's looking more positive. Basically they want to see the money, the plan, and do some research so that they know exactly what it's going to cost them - they have some upgrades to do no matter if we rent the place or not. I would have liked to have been there though to answer any of the beer related questions, though I don't think there were many.

All in all it was a positive direction.

#86 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

My partner went to the meeting. I went to work. I got to work and my meeting had been cancelled. #### ####ITY #### ####!!!!

Anyway, my partner did a good job, but it's gonna take several weeks, probably a month, to work things out. We don't have a lease yet, but it's looking more positive. Basically they want to see the money, the plan, and do some research so that they know exactly what it's going to cost them - they have some upgrades to do no matter if we rent the place or not. I would have liked to have been there though to answer any of the beer related questions, though I don't think there were many.

I hope it goes smoothly. I know that I say this all the time, but I swear to jeebus that one day in the future I will be inspired to get out of dodge (it will probably be 0° here in dodge, btw) and drive to FL to watch the curious wildlife and drink beer in your brewery. Not sure when that will happen but one day it will happen. :D

#87 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

I hope it goes smoothly. I know that I say this all the time, but I swear to jeebus that one day in the future I will be inspired to get out of dodge (it will probably be 0° here in dodge, btw) and drive to FL to watch the curious wildlife and drink beer in your brewery. Not sure when that will happen but one day it will happen. :D

Welcome anytime whether there's a brewery or not. We'll get Dan and the rest of the FL bluebies together and party it up.

#88 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

My partner went to the meeting. I went to work. I got to work and my meeting had been cancelled. #### ####ITY #### ####!!!!

Good luck in the coming days/months getting all the pieces in the right place.  I would recommend hiring an attorney who handles commercial retail real estate once it gets to the point where you are discussing a Letter of Intent with the Owner.  Do hire one before you sign the Letter of Intent though.  This is my area of law. I wish I could give you a recommendation for an attorney in your area, but the nearest ones that I have worked with are in Atlanta and Miami.

If you have any questions, PM me on FB.  I can give you a few suggestions.  

#89 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Good luck in the coming days/months getting all the pieces in the right place.  I would recommend hiring an attorney who handles commercial retail real estate once it gets to the point where you are discussing a Letter of Intent with the Owner.  Do hire one before you sign the Letter of Intent though.  This is my area of law. I wish I could give you a recommendation for an attorney in your area, but the nearest ones that I have worked with are in Atlanta and Miami.

If you have any questions, PM me on FB.  I can give you a few suggestions.  

I don't think this is going to be that sophisticated. Once we show that we're kosher they'll likely give us a lease to sign. We'll scrutinize it and attempt to get things changed if need be. We already gave them a letter of intent and that's what scared them initially. They though they were going to have to shell out some serious dough, when in fact most of the onus was on us, but we just needed them to provide a legally rentable place.

Got a list of about 30 people Im gonna hit up for cash in the next week or so, my partner has about that many as well. Would be nice to get this thing going.

#90 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

Just be careful. Those commercial landlords are sneaky bastards.

#91 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

Just be careful. Those commercial landlords are sneaky bastards.

I've talked to the other tenants. It's not a sophisticated situation. 

#92 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

I don't think this is going to be that sophisticated. Once we show that we're kosher they'll likely give us a lease to sign. We'll scrutinize it and attempt to get things changed if need be. We already gave them a letter of intent and that's what scared them initially. They though they were going to have to shell out some serious dough, when in fact most of the onus was on us, but we just needed them to provide a legally rentable place.

Got a list of about 30 people Im gonna hit up for cash in the next week or so, my partner has about that many as well. Would be nice to get this thing going.

I get that the other tenants say its fine, but you need to cover your ass on this.  There are a lot of bad leases out there and you just need to make sure that you are aware of the landmines that exist and get rid of the ones that don't need to be in there.  It doesn't matter if you are starting a brew pub or if you are opening a clothing store for teens.  The business points (that you set forth in the LOI) are what it takes to make the deal economically feasible for both sides.  It's the "boilerplate" language that becomes hazardous for you.  

You have done your due diligence on finding a place that CAN be used for your purpose and you've crunched the numbers to make it work.  Now go the extra step and make sure that the lease isn't going to screw you in the long run.  

#93 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:25 AM

I get that the other tenants say its fine, but you need to cover your ass on this.  There are a lot of bad leases out there and you just need to make sure that you are aware of the landmines that exist and get rid of the ones that don't need to be in there.  It doesn't matter if you are starting a brew pub or if you are opening a clothing store for teens.  The business points (that you set forth in the LOI) are what it takes to make the deal economically feasible for both sides.  It's the "boilerplate" language that becomes hazardous for you.  

You have done your due diligence on finding a place that CAN be used for your purpose and you've crunched the numbers to make it work.  Now go the extra step and make sure that the lease isn't going to screw you in the long run.  

Dude. I've been doing this for 2.5 years. I've seen 4 leases and we've said no to them because we couldn't come to terms. I've seen bad leases. I've seen good leases. Don't worry, multiple eyes including a couple lawyers (fury will likely see the next one) are looking over these things and I won't let myself enter a bad situation.

#94 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:47 AM

Dude. I've been doing this for 2.5 years. I've seen 4 leases and we've said no to them because we couldn't come to terms. I've seen bad leases. I've seen good leases. Don't worry, multiple eyes including a couple lawyers (fury will likely see the next one) are looking over these things and I won't let myself enter a bad situation.

Ok... I'll lay off.  But you do realize that commercial retail leasing is precisely what I have been doing for 15 years?   ;)

I've negotiated hundreds of leases over that time period and I've seen all sorts of crazy things.  And I'm not talking about the stuff that jumps out at you from the page.  There can be some very latent shit bombs hidden in leases.  I know you'll be careful, but I'll reiterate it again... if anything in a lease doesn't quite seem right and you want to bounce it off me, I'm available.  You can always contact me via PM on FB.  Will give you my number so we can actually talk.  In fact, why don't we go ahead and do that.  I would like to chat with you to help you out.  I'm not trying to be Lou and say I know everything.  I just want to do what I can to make sure a friend is fully informed.  As a lawyer in this area, I don't get many opportunities to you know... actually help people I know.  I don't have many friends who are going into a business venture that require a retail lease.  KWIM?

#95 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

Ok... I'll lay off.  But you do realize that commercial retail leasing is precisely what I have been doing for 15 years?   ;)

I've negotiated hundreds of leases over that time period and I've seen all sorts of crazy things.  And I'm not talking about the stuff that jumps out at you from the page.  There can be some very latent shit bombs hidden in leases.  I know you'll be careful, but I'll reiterate it again... if anything in a lease doesn't quite seem right and you want to bounce it off me, I'm available.  You can always contact me via PM on FB.  Will give you my number so we can actually talk.  In fact, why don't we go ahead and do that.  I would like to chat with you to help you out.  I'm not trying to be Lou and say I know everything.  I just want to do what I can to make sure a friend is fully informed.  As a lawyer in this area, I don't get many opportunities to you know... actually help people I know.  I don't have many friends who are going into a business venture that require a retail lease.  KWIM?

FYI, we haven't got the lease yet for this location. Hopefully next meeting we'll get one in a couple weeks. I'll get in touch after I see it.

No worries, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm just not ready for you to do anything. Cheers!

#96 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

FYI, we haven't got the lease yet for this location. Hopefully next meeting we'll get one in a couple weeks. I'll get in touch after I see it.

No worries, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm just not ready for you to do anything. Cheers!

Where is that stupid "+1" when you want it?

#97 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:14 PM

Where is that stupid "+1" when you want it?

some jackwad shot his mouth of an..... oh Hi man how's it going :)

#98 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

some jackwad shot his mouth of an..... oh Hi man how's it going :)

Not too bad.  Pretty busy these days.

#99 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

Let me know whenever you're ready, Broseph.

#100 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Let me know whenever you're ready, Broseph.

Will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users