#41 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:20 AM

plus some acid I'm guessing!  I will certainly have to dig into my acid malt to get my pH into range.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use some acid. They may preboil the water to remove carbonate and the recipe may contain some Munich Malt, which is going to help pH. 

#42 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they use some acid. They may preboil the water to remove carbonate and the recipe may contain some Munich Malt, which is going to help pH. 

does precipitating stuff out with a preboil remove/reduce everything?  (calcium included)

#43 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

does precipitating stuff out with a preboil remove/reduce everything?  (calcium included)

Of the things we care about, primarily Calcium and Carbonate, forming Calcium Carbonate, but perhaps some Magnesium, which shouldn't matter. Sodium, Sulfate and Chloride should stay in solution. I believe that you should lose about 2.5 ppm Carbonate for every ppm Ca, down to maybe about 20-30 ppm Carbonate.

#44 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

are you saying if you started about 30 ppm carbonate boiling wouldn't get you any lower than 20-30 ppm carbonate?  maybe I'm reading what you said wrong.

#45 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:59 AM

are you saying if you started about 30 ppm carbonate boiling wouldn't get you any lower than 20-30 ppm carbonate?  maybe I'm reading what you said wrong.

I believe that you are reading me correctly.

#46 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

I believe that you are reading me correctly.

I've never really looked into the pre-boil thing.  Mostly just interesting info I can hand off to others if they have hard water.

#47 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

It's a useful tool for brewers with high temporary hardness, like a lot of Germany. I suppose it could be considered to have an added benefit of removing some Calcium from those very hard waters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users