#3 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 17 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Agreed with it the first two times it was posted here.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

I hate answering the question what's your favorite anything.  I can't even pick a best friend, there are a small number of men who are my brothers and why do I need to love one brother the most?  

As a brewer I get asked what my favorite beer is all too often.  So I have to say that I love this list.  I usually respond either with number 1, or "what beer are you buyin?"  That second one only takes me so far though as I really don't enjoy drinking macros and would rather have a water, or more likely a wine/cocktail, instead most of the time.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 06:54 AM

In the #5 part, he mentions how awesome it is "to make beer" or how "this beer is even more awesome because you made it". I probably need to start taking more pride in the fact that I make the beer I drink. I think I have been brewing for long enough that the fact that I make the beer is just a given and has no impact anymore. Occasionally people come over and try a beer and they say, "You made this?" and that always throws me. I also agree that these lists are kind of silly and that it's all personal preference anyway. Can anyone name a favorite food or a favorite song? I know I can't.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:01 AM

I got a couple of puzzled "you made this?" from people (who didn't know me) at a party a couple of weeks ago.  people really think that most homebrew is swill I suspect.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 23 March 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

I got a couple of puzzled "you made this?" from people (who didn't know me) at a party a couple of weeks ago.  people really think that most homebrew is swill I suspect.

Sad but true.  A few years back I got sick and had to have emergency surgery and one guy I worked with blamed it on homebrew :wacko:

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

Sad but true.  A few years back I got sick and had to have emergency surgery and one guy I worked with blamed it on homebrew :wacko:

damn!  appendicitis or something?

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

damn!  appendicitis or something?

https://en.wikipedia...'s_diverticulum

I think I was a few hours from it exploding!

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

https://en.wikipedia...'s_diverticulum

I think I was a few hours from it exploding!

probably your parents were drinking hombrew and that's how you ended up with this!

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

probably your parents were drinking hombrew and that's how you ended up with this!

Good point!

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

Whatever ratebeer.com tells me is the best!

ETA:  Apparently 2 of the top 5 beers in the world right now are from a brewery I've never even heard of.  Toppling Goliath?

Edited by JKor, 23 March 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

ETA:  Apparently 2 of the top 5 beers in the world right now are from a brewery I've never even heard of.  Toppling Goliath?

beer hipsters taking over!

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

Where have you been :) ?  I am sure seeing their brewer just walked out they will fall a bit.  The fanbois are complaining already.

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

People are finally realizing that my beer is not the homebrew they normally think of. I have been giving away more beer lately and getting requests to make certain beers as a result of this. But there is some truly horrible home-brew out there. I have told stories of a few friends that brew and how bad the beer is. They are great guys but I'm not sure what the hell is going on in their brewing process. One of them had us over to a large get together recently where he put 3 of his beers on taps. They were just horrific. The kicker was the IIPA he brewed one year ago and "aged it to make it extra smooth" and it "it retained all the great hop character it started with"====> It was brett infected, thin, and well soured. People weren't drinking it. I felt bad but he hasn't been open to suggestions, so….

Edited by nettles, 23 March 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

People are finally realizing that my beer is not the homebrew they normally think of. I have been giving away more beer lately and getting requests to make certain beers as a result of this. But there is some truly horrible home-brew out there. I have told stories of a few friends that brew and how bad the beer is. They are great guys but I'm not sure what the hell is going on in their brewing process. One of them had us over to a large get together recently where he put 3 of his beers on taps. They were just horrific. The kicker was the IIPA he brewed one year ago and "aged it to make it extra smooth" and it "it retained all the great hop character it started with"====> It was brett infected, thin, and well soured. People weren't drinking it. I felt bad but he hasn't been open to suggestions, so….

Yep. I know a few guys who refuse to believe in even the easiest of advice like fermentation temp control. I know guys who try to make subtle styles like American Wheat, Cream Ales, etc. and they are complete ester-bombs and not fun to drink. The funny thing is that you would think these guys could taste it and do their best to keep the foul-tasting batches away from everyone else. If I'm bringing a keg to a party or having people over to drink my beer, you can bet that I will know it's good first.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 23 March 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

Yep. I know a few guys who refuse to believe in even the easiest of advice like fermentation temp control. 

Well the kit instructions don't say anything about temp control so Nettles must not know what he's talking about.  :crazy:

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:41 AM

Well the kit instructions don't say anything about temp control so Nettles must not know what he's talking about.  :crazy:

This package of WLP001 says it is good up to 73 so I should be fine fermenting this beer at that :)

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

This package of WLP001 says it is good up to 73 so I should be fine fermenting this beer at that :)

Yep, 73C by the taste of it.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Them: "Yeah, it's only 72 in my closet, it should be fine.  The kit said to pitch the yeast below 75, I got it down to 80.  I figured that would be good enough."

Me:  "Cool, I love making saisons!"

Them:  "Sai-what?  It's a pale ale!"

Me: "wow, sounds good. :sarcasm: "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users