#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hey Fellas, I have a big batch of Belle Saison just starting to die out in primary and I'm thinking about adding a little orange zest. In terms of sanitation, would I lose the "orange" in the zest if I douse with vodka and then pitch? Can I put it in without? How much per 5 g's for a hint of orange? What's my record for consecutive questions?Thanks,Mike

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:34 AM

I have to look into it more but my first though would be to freeze the zest for a bit and then throw it in.  The freezing may help get a bit more out of it too, but that is just a guess on my part.

Edited by drez77, 24 March 2015 - 05:34 AM.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:38 AM

I have to look into it more but my first though would be to freeze the zest for a bit and then throw it in.  The freezing may help get a bit more out of it too, but that is just a guess on my part.

how about freeze it and then put it into a very small amount of vodka.  that seems like it would be pretty safe.

and I think you could be right about the freezing getting more flavor out.  the ice crystals will probably break some things up in there.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

Sounds better than a vodka marinade because I don't want to ruin the flavor of the orange or add the vodka.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

Sounds better than a vodka marinade because I don't want to ruin the flavor of the orange or add the vodka.

I doubt the you'd detect the tiny amount of vodka but really just freezing it is probably safe enough.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the brain storming.Evil; on a side note, I think you were inquiring on the Belle Saison yeast? I made 10 gallons of a mild Saison on Saturday and pitched in the low 70's and let it rise ~ 78 F. Fermentation is down to a slow burp currently. This yeast is hungry. I made a 2L starter from slurry and pitched a healthy handful. I really like the flavor it brings to the style.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

how about freeze it and then put it into a very small amount of vodka.  that seems like it would be pretty safe.

and I think you could be right about the freezing getting more flavor out.  the ice crystals will probably break some things up in there.

That was my thought too.

That's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the brain storming.Evil; on a side note, I think you were inquiring on the Belle Saison yeast? I made 10 gallons of a mild Saison on Saturday and pitched in the low 70's and let it rise ~ 78 F. Fermentation is down to a slow burp currently. This yeast is hungry. I made a 2L starter from slurry and pitched a healthy handful. I really like the flavor it brings to the style.

I was wondering about that yeast also.  I have a package that I need to use.  I am thinking of either a citra saison with it or the Moteuka saison from the recipe forum.  This was a re-pitch of the yeast?

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

I had very positive reviews and great orange flavor on my last Blue Moon clone by using McCormick orange extract at kegging. Tasted great at 1/4oz per 5gal. I added a tiny amt to a finished beer in the glass to make sure it was going to taste good/not artificial. Here are the ingredients:Alcohol (79%), Water, And Oil Of Orange. https://www.mccormic...-Orange-Extract

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

I'm thinking the same thing for my next Saison; Moteuka. It is afterall Saison season :)Yes, I had some slurry and made approx. 1/2 gallon of 1.040 starter and pitched 1/3 cup. In 24 hours on the stir plate I had a heap of the little munchers - enough for 10 gallons.

#10 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

I had very positive reviews and great orange flavor on my last Blue Moon clone by using McCormick orange extract at kegging. Tasted great at 1/4oz per 5gal. I added a tiny amt to a finished beer in the glass to make sure it was going to taste good/not artificial. Here are the ingredients:Alcohol (79%), Water, And Oil Of Orange. https://www.mccormic...-Orange-Extract

1/4 oz in 5g's, that's something. It was a natural taste?

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:56 AM

I have 2 packets in the fridge at home.  Apparently they recommend 2 packs for 5 gallons which caught me off guard.  I figured they were like other dry yeast where typically 1 packet per 5 gallons is about right.  I know someone, maybe it was you, told me that 1 packet per 5 gallons is fine.

Has anyone else used this yeast and have opinions about the pitching rate?

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:00 AM

I have 2 packets in the fridge at home.  Apparently they recommend 2 packs for 5 gallons which caught me off guard.  I figured they were like other dry yeast where typically 1 packet per 5 gallons is about right.  I know someone, maybe it was you, told me that 1 packet per 5 gallons is fine.

Has anyone else used this yeast and have opinions about the pitching rate?

I did not realize that.  Hmm, guess I will go with a lower OG to compensate.

#13 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:00 AM

1/4 oz in 5g's, that's something. It was a natural taste?

It was the flavor I wanted in the beer but was unable to get from zest. Tasted like an orange to me. The stuff's cheap. Buy some and add a little to a finished beer in the glass to make sure it's what you are looking for.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

I have 2 packets in the fridge at home.  Apparently they recommend 2 packs for 5 gallons which caught me off guard.  I figured they were like other dry yeast where typically 1 packet per 5 gallons is about right.  I know someone, maybe it was you, told me that 1 packet per 5 gallons is fine. Has anyone else used this yeast and have opinions about the pitching rate?

I have pitched one single packet into a 1.060 with zero issues and quick lift off. I pack is plenty I tell's ya :)  

It was the flavor I wanted in the beer but was unable to get from zest. Tasted like an orange to me. The stuff's cheap. Buy some and add a little to a finished beer in the glass to make sure it's what you are looking for.

I'm on it!

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

I use vodka (and sometimes rum) for this all the time when adding lemon zest, pumpkin pie seasoning, cinnamon, vanilla, etc. The vodka and flavor mix together and create a fresh tincture that usually comes out nicely in the finished beer. You should not taste any booze in the beer.

#16 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

On another board, someone asked a similar question about grapefruit. My response could also be applied to orange but you probably wouldn't use 5# for a hint of orange  :D

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif;font-size:13px;]I was really happy with a grapefruit saison that I had brewed. Brew up 5 gallons of your favorite Saison recipe and ferment it out. Give 5 pounds of grapefruit a brief bath in starsan. After they dry, remove all of the zest with a vegetable peeler. Place zest and juice of the grapefruit in a keg or secondary. If using a keg, it's nice to have a sure screen installed. Rack in the Saison and let it sit for a week or more. When you're happy with the grapefruit character, transfer to another keg or bottle. If you let it sit for a month, the grapefruit will be very intense. Take my word for it.[/color]

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:21 AM

As a guess, 5# of grapefruits would be about 8-10? Woooosh....

#18 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

I was inspired by GI Sofie Paradisi. The grapefruit character was intense. I'm bummed it was a one off beer. It was awesome.

httpss://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BshIKBLYyBw

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

Thank you for the link!Sophie is absolutely fantastic btw, one of my favorites.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

I did not realize that.  Hmm, guess I will go with a lower OG to compensate.

mr. poptop seems to think it's fine and judging by his avatar it seems he likes to make saisons ;)

I was thinking something around 1.065.  I know hennepin is 1.070 but I'm not sure I want quite that much alcohol.

I have pitched one single packet into a 1.060 with zero issues and quick lift off. I pack is plenty I tell's ya :)  I'm on it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users