#21 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

I do like the style a lot and it totally suits my demo and geographic. To hold cold fermentation temps, I use a cooler and ice bottles. While it's not that big a PITA, sometimes it's just easier down here to let it fly and that's where Saison yeasts come to play since they can handle ambient temps. Plus a medium gravity, ice cold, highly quaffable Saison just suits my climate. Awesome on the beach etc..

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

This is the original sure screen that I was referring to. It fits over the end of your racking cane or inside your keg over the down tube. It works great when your ageing beer with fruit, spices, whole leaf dry hops, etc. in a keg. It has a nice clean weld at the end that the knock-offs do not.

https://brewinfo.org/surescreen.html

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

mr. poptop seems to think it's fine and judging by his avatar it seems he likes to make saisons ;)

I was thinking something around 1.065.  I know hennepin is 1.070 but I'm not sure I want quite that much alcohol.

Bigger than I was planning on. I was going to go 1.055

#24 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

I might mention that that I've used Belle about 5 times so far and hit below 1.006 every time. Not sure if that's important to you but to me and my set up, it means not adding much sugar to get dry.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

I might mention that that I've used Belle about 5 times so far and hit below 1.006 every time. Not sure if that's important to you but to me and my set up, it means not adding much sugar to get dry.

so perhaps on the Hennepin clone I should leave the sugar out?  they have the FG on that beer listed at 1.010.

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hey Fellas, I have a big batch of Belle Saison just starting to die out in primary and I'm thinking about adding a little orange zest. In terms of sanitation, would I lose the "orange" in the zest if I douse with vodka and then pitch? Can I put it in without? How much per 5 g's for a hint of orange? What's my record for consecutive questions?Thanks,Mike

You don't need the vodka.  Just toss it in.

how about freeze it and then put it into a very small amount of vodka.  that seems like it would be pretty safe.

and I think you could be right about the freezing getting more flavor out.  the ice crystals will probably break some things up in there.

You don't need the vodka.

#27 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

In that case, I'll gladly incorporate the vodka into a dirty martini.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

You don't need the vodka.  Just toss it in.

You don't need the vodka.

but what do you think about the vodka?

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

:rolf:

#30 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

Sarcasm is my second favorite word that ends with "asm" :)

#31 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

So, I picked up two very plump and ripe and dark navel oranges. Rather than zest them, I skinned the rind (no pulp) with a very sharp paring knife. I then julienned the rind and pitched it. The oils and scent were huge. This will marinate for two weeks then keg.

#32 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

I know i'm late to the party, but when i've added lemon zest to a batch, I let it sit in vodka for an hour or so then pitched it.   A LITTLE ZEST GOES A LONG WAY.  Learned that hard way....

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

You could have just blue-mooned it  :P

Posted Image

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:24 AM

just out of curiosity, why didn't you use sweet orange peel in the boil?

#35 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hey Fellas, I have a big batch of Belle Saison just starting to die out in primary and I'm thinking about adding a little orange zest. In terms of sanitation, would I lose the "orange" in the zest if I douse with vodka and then pitch? Can I put it in without? How much per 5 g's for a hint of orange? What's my record for consecutive questions?Thanks,Mike

I worked for 4Hands Brewing here in St. Louis a couple of Summers ago and they make a beer called Contact High.  It's a hopped up Summer wheat ale dry-hopped with Cascade and orange zest.  In terms of sanitation, we would simply dunk oranges in sanitized water and zest.  I homebrewed a batch last summer and zested five oranges with 2 ounces of Cascades...turned out lovely!

#36 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

I'm pretty confident that this batch "may or may not" have "enough or not enough" orange. But it's all good because it's ultimate purpose is beach beer.

just out of curiosity, why didn't you use sweet orange peel in the boil?

I had some and never really felt it in the beer. I'm just experimenting with fresh orange for my first time. Pitching from the hip......

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

I had very positive reviews and great orange flavor on my last Blue Moon clone by using McCormick orange extract at kegging. Tasted great at 1/4oz per 5gal. I added a tiny amt to a finished beer in the glass to make sure it was going to taste good/not artificial. Here are the ingredients:Alcohol (79%), Water, And Oil Of Orange. https://www.mccormic...-Orange-Extract

yup, me too, I may have even suggested it here a few times

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

I looked for the mccormick product at my grocery store near the vanilla extract and didn't see it.  is it kind of uncommon?

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

martini!

#40 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

I looked for the mccormick product at my grocery store near the vanilla extract and didn't see it.  is it kind of uncommon?

huh, It's right there with the other McCormick extracts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users