9 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16635 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

Who has used them? They were ADHA483 last year. I just picked up a pound for $8.95 at Hops Direct. Thought the risk was worth the low price. 

https://www.hopslist...hops/891-azacca

https://www.hopsdire...dha483-pellets/

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hop Ranch from Victory were those with Mosaic, good beer IMO. I don't need hops but I may have to grab a pound.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

Coppertail got them a while ago and me, my buddy, Casey Huges (brewmaster at Coppertail), and another guy all did single hop beers with it to see how it worked out. Kind of a funny flavor to it for IPA or PA. It works well with other hops, but it doesn't stand alone well. It was really fruity, like fruit punch fruity with some citrus in the background. Could easily be confused with yeast esters. We all thought that there was something wrong with our beers. Nope, it was the hops.

Like I said, use it in combination with something else that is more monotone like Cascade or Centennial and it works great. I think Coppertail uses it in it's Unholy Tripel.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16635 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

Like I said, use it in combination with something else that is more monotone like Cascade or Centennial and it works great. 

This was what I was thinking too from some of the other descriptions I read about it. And probably what I am going to do with it.

Got my pound of Azacca yesterday along with a pound each of Columbus, Amarillo, Citra, and Bravo. I should be set for a while.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

This was what I was thinking too from some of the other descriptions I read about it. And probably what I am going to do with it.

Got my pound of Azacca yesterday along with a pound each of Columbus, Amarillo, Citra, and Bravo. I should be set for a while.

Coppertail uses it in their Unholy Tripel. Works well since the fruity esters play well with the hop.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

Coppertail got them a while ago and me, my buddy, Casey Huges (brewmaster at Coppertail), and another guy all did single hop beers with it to see how it worked out. Kind of a funny flavor to it for IPA or PA. It works well with other hops, but it doesn't stand alone well. It was really fruity, like fruit punch fruity with some citrus in the background. Could easily be confused with yeast esters. We all thought that there was something wrong with our beers. Nope, it was the hops.

Like I said, use it in combination with something else that is more monotone like Cascade or Centennial and it works great. I think Coppertail uses it in it's Unholy Tripel.

Thinking this may be good in a blonde or wheat beer.  With some cascade like you mentioned.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thinking this may be good in a blonde or wheat beer.  With some cascade like you mentioned.

Yeah, that would be good. I don't think it plays well with crystal/caramel malts. So be sparing with those. It would be terrible in MLPA. 

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, that would be good. I don't think it plays well with crystal/caramel malts. So be sparing with those. It would be terrible in MLPA. 

It may be me but I have found a lot of the new "fruity" hops are that way.  They seem to contribute a sweetness on their own that when combined with a lot of crystal just makes a sickly sweet beer. Again, this could just be my tastes.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

It may be me but I have found a lot of the new "fruity" hops are that way.  They seem to contribute a sweetness on their own that when combined with a lot of crystal just makes a sickly sweet beer. Again, this could just be my tastes.

Nope, I'm right there with you.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16635 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

It may be me but I have found a lot of the new "fruity" hops are that way. They seem to contribute a sweetness on their own that when combined with a lot of crystal just makes a sickly sweet beer. Again, this could just be my tastes.

Me too. El Dorado is a very interesting hop in exactly this way. It has its own sweetness, its a candied orange peel flavor you get on the finish. I like it, a lot, but it can be overdone. I used lesser quantities of it in my most recent IPA to be just that sort of accent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users