#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Early on in my brewing career and really what got me started in homebrewing was the want/need to brew clones of craft beers that I couldn't get in Missouri because of a lack of distribution.  I eventually got to a point where recipe creation was one of the more enjoyable parts of this hobby so I started writing my own grain/hop bills.  But there is one beer that I love and still don't have easy access to and that is Harpoon IPA.  So I'm going back to my clone brewing days and am taking a stab at this one.

My recipe is below.  I'm planning on 10 gallons on Sunday morning.  Thoughts/concerns/suggestions of course are always welcome!

American Pale Ale - 86%

Munich 10L - 7%

Victory Malt - 7%

Centennial - 36 IBU's @ 60 mins

EKG - 5 IBU's @ 15 mins

Liberty - Dry Hop (4 oz for 10 days)

WYeast 1272

OG - 1.061

ABV - 6%

IBU - 41

SRM - 9

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

that sounds like a lot of victory malt.  that would be over a pound yes?  I probably wouldn't use more than half a pound.

byo says a pound of victory for 5 gallons so what do I know? :lol:

Edited by Evil_Morty, 25 March 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

Looks like harpoon uses some cascade hops, any reason you chose to go with liberty and EKG?

#4 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

that sounds like a lot of victory malt.  that would be over a pound yes?  I probably wouldn't use more than half a pound.

byo says a pound of victory for 5 gallons so what do I know? :lol:

I saw that too.  That's where I got the recipe from.  As of now, I'll be using two pounds for a 10 gallon batch.

httpss://byo.com/stories/item/738-harpoon-ipa-clone-the-replicator

Looks like harpoon uses some cascade hops, any reason you chose to go with liberty and EKG?

Just going by the recipe in the link above.  To me, it's resembles an "East Coast " style of IPA so the British hops made sense to me.  I don't get any Cascades in the hop profile when I taste the real deal.  Could be totally wrong though...

Edited by chadm75, 25 March 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

cool article on "new England style IPA"

https://www.harpoonb...alk-Harpoon-IPA

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

harpoon ipa isn't my fav beer or anything but it's really easy to get around here which is nice.  it's a safe option.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

Never had any Harpoon beers but I did enjoy a liberty dry hopped pale I had on cask once. Apparently a nice hop I still need to use.

Edited by nettles, 25 March 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

cool article on "new England style IPA"

https://www.harpoonb...alk-Harpoon-IPA

harpoon ipa isn't my fav beer or anything but it's really easy to get around here which is nice.  it's a safe option.

Funny, when I think of a "New England style IPA"  Harpoon does not jump to the top of the list.  To be fair, I have not had it in many years.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:14 AM

Funny, when I think of a "New England style IPA"  Harpoon does not jump to the top of the list.  To be fair, I have not had it in many years.

maybe not any more but yes, traditionally I would think of something less extreme in terms of hops.  more balanced than what is the norm these days.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

One of the first, though.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:03 PM

One of the first, though.

Very true, just not where my mind goes when I hear the term these days.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

We usually call the current crop "Vermont-style IPAs", which gives short shrift to places like Maine Beer Co.

I guess I think of Harpoon as one of the iconic "East Coast IPAs".

Edited by Brauer, 25 March 2015 - 04:28 PM.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

$22.99/cs at costco just over the border in Nashua. Yeah, i drink my fair share. :) I think its a great summer beer. Really refreshing sessionable IPA. Here's a clone attempt from HBT, the brewery told them they use Apollo and Cascade. https://www.homebrew...a-clone-238604/

Edited by JKor, 25 March 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:19 AM

so for that recipe he used 12 oz of victory for 6 gallons and then his final post is below.  For those that have never used victory malt I have to stress that you want to use a light hand with it.  It can quickly overtake the beer.

Too much victory and too many hops to be a harpoon clone. However, it was pretty good. If I were to brew it again, I probably would use half the amount of victory, and little to none MO. I probably had too many late hop additions.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

so for that recipe he used 12 oz of victory for 6 gallons and then his final post is below.  For those that have never used victory malt I have to stress that you want to use a light hand with it.  It can quickly overtake the beer.

I will have to get some harpoon IPA, I am surprised that the amount of hops in that recipe would be too much.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

I will have to get some harpoon IPA, I am surprised that the amount of hops in that recipe would be too much.

try to take a break from hoppy beers for a few days before you try it.  your taste buds need to be recalibrated :lol:

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63966 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

It's not very bitter, but when fresh it has a really nice hop flavor and aroma.  Not overpowering like a lot of todays IPAs, subtle but present.  I try to get in in cans when I can, I've had good look with hops in the canned version holding up better.  I don't know if it's been fresher or if it's the packaging, that's just been my observation.

#18 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

I think I will end of up dropping down to one pound of Victory and adding another pound of Pale Malt to keep my gravity numbers in line.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

I think I will end of up dropping down to one pound of Victory and adding another pound of Pale Malt to keep my gravity numbers in line.

def let us know what you think.  this will be a great beer for getting a feel for victory since there isn't much to get in the way.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:45 AM

It's not very bitter, but when fresh it has a really nice hop flavor and aroma.  Not overpowering like a lot of todays IPAs, subtle but present.  I try to get in in cans when I can, I've had good look with hops in the canned version holding up better.  I don't know if it's been fresher or if it's the packaging, that's just been my observation.

that's def something to be respected.  sometimes it's good to step back away from the hops and enjoy something else. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users