136 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

picking up any coriander or orange or ginger?

Not really any of those individually but there is some character to it that I think is clearly coming from the spices. The sample was very bright and snappy too. I'd guess is that it's going to be a nice refresher, and maybe dangerous too at that abv. 

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

I kegged this tonight at 1.009. Have you ever had one of those beers where you really wanted more after you finished the hydrometer sample cup? This was one of those. Really looking forward to this one.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:47 AM

excellent!

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

so how are we looking?  must be sort of carbed now right?

#25 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:33 AM

I'm anxious to hear about this batch too. nettles, what's the scoop? Yesterday I kegged my Saison L'Orange and am awaiting carbonation. What a fantastic flavor. Not sure if I'm picking up a huge amount of the naval oranges I added but once carbed I should have a better feel.

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

It's delicious. Ill post up a pic later. It's very, very, bright and flavorful in the extreme. It has this log trailing spiciness/pepperiness that is just fantastic. I really have no idea if it is from the spices or the yeast, which was the idea here. It's probably a bit of both. I cannot readily identify any of the spices and as the brewer I know exactly what they are. I did not expect this to come out like Hennepin and it did not.  The only real similarity to Hennepin is in the malt which as you guys know is very secondary in this beer.  The yeast makes it a totally different beer. This is my first run with WY3726 and I have to say it is just beautiful.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:03 AM

Posted Image

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:06 AM

looks delicious.  nice photo as well.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

That looks outstanding.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:26 AM

Thanks. I am very very pleased with it. Best of all, so is my wife who requested something I make this. Would like to use Ommegang's yeast in this sometime to see how close the recipe really is but I'm not sure I don't like this better. The two beers are very different.  I may have to use this 3726 again soon. I'm thinking maybe something a little smaller with rye and a hefty dose of late Saaz would go well with it.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:36 AM

my experience is limited but i'm under the impression that Hennepin is more mild than most saisons.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:41 AM

my experience is limited but i'm under the impression that Hennepin is more mild than most saisons.

It seems like it tows the line between a saison and something else, belgian blonde/tripel maybe? I dunno. 

#33 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

Nice looking beer. White labs sells the Ommegang strain as a wit yeast, so maybe a little fruity and spicy.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:11 AM

Nice looking beer. White labs sells the Ommegang strain as a wit yeast, so maybe a little fruity and spicy.

everything I've heard is that their yeast is proprietary.

#35 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

everything I've heard is that their yeast is proprietary.

I've read that they bottle condition with their house strain. It wouldn't be difficult to culture from the bottle. Yeast labs and breweries steal borrow from each other all the time.

#36 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

Last spring Ommegang released a saison called Glimmerglass that I thought was terrific. Its also considerably less abv than Hennepin and I think less than Rare Vos too... and so would be a good candidate to culture their yeast from. Ill be keeping my eye out for it when I'm in Chicago this weekend.

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

I've read that they bottle condition with their house strain. It wouldn't be difficult to culture from the bottle. Yeast labs and breweries steal borrow from each other all the time.

seems like a risky move for the yeast companies if they do that but you right that technically it would not be that hard for them to do.  i'm just thinking they might get lawyered.

Last spring Ommegang released a saison called Glimmerglass that I thought was terrific. Its also considerably less abv than Hennepin and I think less than Rare Vos too... and so would be a good candidate to culture their yeast from. Ill be keeping my eye out for it when I'm in Chicago this weekend.

never heard of that one.  in the past I used rare vos.  I think I started with 2-3 bottles.  step one I actually grew the yeast in the bottles.  then I combined them into a flask on the stir plate.

#38 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

seems like a risky move for the yeast companies if they do that but you right that technically it would not be that hard for them to do. i'm just thinking they might get lawyered. never heard of that one. in the past I used rare vos. I think I started with 2-3 bottles. step one I actually grew the yeast in the bottles. then I combined them into a flask on the stir plate.

How did the beer come out?

#39 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

How did the beer come out?

I was making a clone of rare vos and it came out great.  I used the yeast subsequent times and I think due to age, mutation, contamination, etc. it wasn't quite the same.  the first use was def good though.

#40 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

https://www.brews-br...rare-vos-clone/

here is the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users