33 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

Ive got a small starter of 1007 in the fridge that was supposed to get pitched into my (failed attempt) Berliner Weiss. Never used it before an I don't want to waste it.

Give me your favorite Alt recipe or any other recipe where this yeast will shine. Lets come up with something tasty. I have on hand Pils, Weyermann Munich (both light and dark) some Best Vienna, Red-X and plenty of other specialty malts. German/Noble-ish hops on hand would be Hallertau Mittelfruh, Mt. Hood, Gr. Magnum, Santiam, Strisselspalt, Saaz, along with several varieties of English and American hops.

Edited by nettles, 26 March 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

This was one I tweaked a bit - a bit less carafe III though. It usually medaled when I used to enter it. https://www.brews-br...ecipe/?p=535340

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

10# red x, 35 ibus hallertau @60 .75 oz @15, .5 oz @5. I've won a few awards with this beer.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

I made a killer 1007, red-x, Munich alt, with magnum and Motueka. I'll check my recipe when I get back in town . It was a fantastic beer with such an auburn burnt orange color.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

This has won me more awards than any other recipe I've ever done...

https://wiki.homebre...on.org/MilosAlt

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. CWG's Red-X beer came to mind immediately however I just made a Red-X beer not that long ago so I am wondering about going the more traditional route. Seems like something 60/40-ish Pils/Munich is pretty standard with some carafa sp. (or sinamar) for color. Thinking I want to keep it around 1.050 and 30-35 IBU or so.  Maybe use a light mix of Saaz and Santiam. @10. Looks like these vary quite a bit from fairly hoppy to no late hops at al?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. CWG's Red-X beer came to mind immediately however I just made a Red-X beer not that long ago so I am wondering about going the more traditional route. Seems like something 60/40-ish Pils/Munich is pretty standard with some carafa sp. (or sinamar) for color. Thinking I want to keep it around 1.050 and 30-35 IBU or so.  Maybe use a light mix of Saaz and Santiam. @10. Looks like these vary quite a bit from fairly hoppy to no late hops at al?

Me - I would shoot for ~50 IBUs.  60 minute addition only.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Me - I would shoot for ~50 IBUs.  60 minute addition only.

I noticed you and Denny both had a good dose of bitterness in your recipes. That seems like a pretty hefty charge for a beer that will finish reasonably (1.009-1.012 is what I'm aiming for) Is that a personal preference or is that what the style calls for? I really don't know jack about this style, as you can tell.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

I noticed you and Denny both had a good dose of bitterness in your recipes. That seems like a pretty hefty charge for a beer that will finish reasonably (1.009-1.012 is what I'm aiming for) Is that a personal preference or is that what the style calls for? I really don't know jack about this style, as you can tell.

Both. BJCP calls for 35 - 50 for a D Alt. The malt balances it out though. Most of the stuff I made that the judges liked clocked in closer to 60 IBUs. It's a great underappreciated style IMO.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:42 PM

Both. BJCP calls for 35 - 50 for a D Alt. The malt balances it out though. Most of the stuff I made that the judges liked clocked in closer to 60 IBUs. It's a great underappreciated style IMO.

What he said!  My fave alt is Zum Uerige, which is at the bitter end.  Diebels, etc. are too sweet for me.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

I shoot for 35-40 ibus in bittering but expect to pick up more with the late additions. The last batch or German Hallertau I had was 7%.

#12 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Northern German Alts tend to be more Munich heavy, like that, while a number of the Dusseldorfer Alts are nearly all Pils. You can make a great Dusseldorfer Alt with a significant amount of Munich, though, IF you can get it to finish dry enough. I like 1.010, or a little less.

I would add that a lot of the suggestions seem to be for Sticke or Dopple Sticke Alts, which are going to tend to finish sweeter and need more IBU to balance. I find that a more traditional Alt with an OG near 12 Plato and finishing down at 1.010 or less balances appropriately with 35-40 IBU. I've seen a number or references to Uerige being 50 IBU, but my recollection is that it calculated to ~40 IBU, when I entered the actual Uerige recipe.

For something close to Diebels, I'd shoot for the lower end of that and leave out the finishing hops. I don't find it particularly sweet because it is reasonably dry. After all, that is the approximate IBU level of a Pale Ale, but the beer has a lower FG than most Pale Ales. Diebels isn't a particularly interesting beer, but it is quite drinkable.

For something more interesting, like Uerige, I add some flavor hops around 20' from the end. It also works well with later hops, since Uerige has a decent amount of of hop flavor when fresh. 

I agree that a higher OG, higher IBU Alt is probably going to score better in a competition. My preference is for a more traditional Alt, though.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

My version is definitely Americanized.

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

My version is definitely Americanized.

Yeah, please note that my opinions definitely represent an anti-Americanized and anti-Double/Imperial preference, as a rule. I think most everyone knew that already, though. :)

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Good discussion. Great to get everyone's input here, thanks. I have not had any of the above examples you guys mentioned and cannot get them where I live. No trips overseas  anytime soon either! I bought some Alaskan Amber to try and sadly it seemed to miss the mark for me. Dunno, my suspicion is that it's not a particularly great example of the style. It's like 18 IBU, pretty sweet, and more caramelly than would be my preference. Not a bad beer, but not what I want to make. You guys mentioned examples that were "drinkable" and examples that were "interesting". Ideally I'd like to make something that is both. I would really like to keep the ABV down a little which is why I am thinking of something in the 1.050 range.

#16 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:31 AM

Good discussion. Great to get everyone's input here, thanks. I have not had any of the above examples you guys mentioned and cannot get them where I live. No trips overseas  anytime soon either! I bought some Alaskan Amber to try and sadly it seemed to miss the mark for me. Dunno, my suspicion is that it's not a particularly great example of the style. It's like 18 IBU, pretty sweet, and more caramelly than would be my preference. Not a bad beer, but not what I want to make. You guys mentioned examples that were "drinkable" and examples that were "interesting". Ideally I'd like to make something that is both. I would really like to keep the ABV down a little which is why I am thinking of something in the 1.050 range.

I think Uerige and Diebels are both drinkable, but Uerige is more interesting because of the hop profile. Diebels is probably just hopped for bitterness. Last time I was in Germany, though, the local Kneipe (pub) had Diebels on tap and I drank a lot of it, gladly. It's sort of like a better version of Shiner Bock, though.

There used to be some good Northern German Alts available in the US, which are richer and maltier, like a lot of the high Munich versions you see. They still need to be pretty dry, though, not caramelly and sweet. If you use Crystal Malt, at all, you need to use very little; I wouldn't go over a few ounces.

The high ABV versions are okay, but they tend to be more like Brown Ales made with German Hops. Standard Alts are more like a cross between a Pale Ale and a Dunkel. I also don't like 1007 as much in a higher ABV beer, where it quickly tends to be higher in esters and a bit boozy (based on beers I've had from others and commercial examples, I've never tried to make a higher ABV beer with it). They tend to finish sweeter, so they need more hops, which just makes them sweet and bitter. They are just different beers to fit different preferences. I almost never make anything over 1.048, though, because I don't think higher ABV beers are more interesting, just different and rarely for the better, to my taste.

For an interesting lower ABV version, I would go with a good Pilsner and some Munich to give it malt character, mashed low and long to dry it out, and some nice German flavor hops. A couple ounces of a Caramunich or Caraaroma would be okay, but optional.

Sorry for all the rampant opinionating.

Edited by Brauer, 01 April 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

I guess something in the vein of a Northern German Alt is probably what I want to go with here. Someone let me know if this seems like a good quantity for balance with the flavor hops or if I should use more. Any recommendations for a small amount of melanoiden? Just a thought, I see that in some recipes.

6 gallons

OG 1.050

IBU 37

SRM 12

63% Best Malz Pilsner

35% Weyermann Munich II

2% Carafa Special III

Mash @149F

German Magnum @60

15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @20min

15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @5min

WY1007 German Ale

For water I will target pH 5.3 and probably Ca-75, Na-30, SO4-30, Cl-80

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

I guess something in the vein of a Northern German Alt is probably what I want to go with here. Someone let me know if this seems like a good quantity for balance with the flavor hops or if I should use more. Any recommendations for a small amount of melanoiden? Just a thought, I see that in some recipes.

6 gallons

OG 1.050

IBU 37

SRM 12

63% Best Malz Pilsner

35% Weyermann Munich II

2% Carafa Special III

Mash @149F

German Magnum @60

15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @20min

15g Hallertau Mittelfrueh @5min

WY1007 German Ale

For water I will target pH 5.3 and probably Ca-75, Na-30, SO4-30, Cl-80

I think that's a great place to start.  In the past I've made the all munich alts and not liked them as much as I expect I would enjoy something with some or much more pils in it.  Good luck!

#19 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:19 AM

For the record, if you don't want to hassle with 1007 and its poor flocculation characteristics use 1056 cold at 60*. The turn around time is much faster and since both are neutral strains there wont be a difference in the beer. I switched over to 1056 on my Alts about 3yrs ago and haven't went back. My hardcore Alt drinkers haven't picked it out and neither did the public when I brewed 15 bll of my Alt at one of the local pub's. The beer got reviewed by German's looking for a American representation of Alt and they couldn't pick it out. 

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

For the record, if you don't want to hassle with 1007 and its poor flocculation characteristics use 1056 cold at 60*. The turn around time is much faster and since both are neutral strains there wont be a difference in the beer. I switched over to 1056 on my Alts about 3yrs ago and haven't went back. My hardcore Alt drinkers haven't picked it out and neither did the public when I brewed 15 bll of my Alt at one of the local pub's. The beer got reviewed by German's looking for a American representation of Alt and they couldn't pick it out. 

That's good to know for future reference. I brewed this yesterday. Right now she's ticking away nicely at 59F. One of the easiest brew days ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users