#1 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

Our club for many years has done bulk grain buys (by the pallet) from Country Malting Group.  Well, in the last few years since they got bought out, they have basically squeezed the club purchases out.

I was wondering what other people/clubs have been doing since CMG has been doing this.  I think a couple have mentioned having a local brewery order sacks, but are there other options?  We have been working with the local homebrew stores, and some have been OK about working up a deal, but I kinda get the feeling from at least one that they know CMG is no longer dealing with clubs and they have less incentive to deal.  Just my perception.

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Local brewery is our only option.  LHBS is too stubborn to think about it.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

local bottle shop handles it around here.  guy is a homebrewer.

#4 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3213 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:33 AM

We have the same issue. Our club did one last year and there was some stink about CMG getting rid of club buys. Looks like it may be true. The LHBS isn't interested becuse of not having a dock and not wanting the extra work, even though club members have offered the manpower and use of their own business docks for dropping. I think they may be in some sort of contractual deal with LD Carlson too.The two breweries are meh.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

The ones I have been a part of lately have all been done with a homebrew shop.

#6 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

There is a local guy that does a group buy that's open to anyone. He has a brewing related business so he probably has a regular business account with a malt supplier. His prices are about 25% over MCM. Not a bad deal compared to LHBS.

I organize a group buy for my club 2 to 4 times a year. I go through a local brewery. We submit the order to the brewery owner and the club pays up front. The owner places the order and we pick it up from MCM. Members pay for and pick up their order at the next meeting. No mark up/shipping/handling charges.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

There is a local guy that does a group buy that's open to anyone. He has a brewing related business so he probably has a regular business account with a malt supplier. His prices are about 25% over MCM. Not a bad deal compared to LHBS.

I organize a group buy for my club 2 to 4 times a year. I go through a local brewery. We submit the order to the brewery owner and the club pays up front. The owner places the order and we pick it up from MCM. Members pay for and pick up their order at the next meeting. No mark up/shipping/handling charges.

last I checked the guy I buy from only tacks on a few bucks to each sack of grain.  not a bad deal I think.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

The malt suppliers won't sell to you unless you have a brewery or homebrew shop much anymore. If I need malt I just call up my LHBS and they tag on the bags I need to their next order. We've never tried to do a bulk buy as a club yet. But it might work now because we are a nonprofit corporation now and have an EIN.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

last I checked the guy I buy from only tacks on a few bucks to each sack of grain.  not a bad deal I think.

I think it is the same for ours.  The prices are not as cheap as they were when we did the CMG group buys or the time I drove up there but still better than buying a bag at a time.  I make sure I buy a bit each group buy to stay on the mailing list.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

My buddy in Germany lives 5 minutes from the maltster. He just goes there and buys the sacs he needs for about 1/4 the price here. Gat damn lucky bastard.

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

Looking at the price sheet, star San just went up from $26 per gallon to $34. Still better than 25 for a quart at the lhbs.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:26 AM

The malt suppliers won't sell to you unless you have a brewery or homebrew shop much anymore. If I need malt I just call up my LHBS and they tag on the bags I need to their next order. We've never tried to do a bulk buy as a club yet. But it might work now because we are a nonprofit corporation now and have an EIN.

Very interesting.  Would love to know how this turns out.

Thanks for the other feedback.  I think we are going to ask around at the breweries in town.  There are several, so maybe one will bite.

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

I once asked the guys at Monday Night Brewing. Looking back at my emails, it goes back to 2013 when things started changing for the bulk buys. What they told me was that money gets complicated for large buys because of how they are taxed. It sounded like at the time it would be too much of a headache for them to deal with. I doubt if anything has changed to make it easier for them to be able to do bulk buys for others.

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

If you know a guy that will start a business and get a federal tax ID then you are golden. Our guy did this and passes off the yearly fee's into the sak order and also adds a tiny amount to the cost for his time. We never lost our timing in bulk buys. Still ordering around 7-8 pallets/year. You might also need a commercial dock to get the savings on shipping. Really getting the tax ID was not that hard. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users