#21 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

The Urquell Cans are usually more common in the summer, I think, but I see them here and there around town, now and then. I definitely recommend them over the bottles. This place down the street from me, https://www.rf-osull....com/index.html, usually has it on tap. 

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

I ordered one a few months ago at a restaurant.  Pleasant surprise when the brown bottle showed up.

#23 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

I ordered one a few months ago at a restaurant.  Pleasant surprise when the brown bottle showed up.

I have this liquor store a couple doors down that appears to only sell remainders. A few weeks ago they suddenly started selling PU (in green bottles). Now I know why.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

I have this liquor store a couple doors down that appears to only sell remainders. A few weeks ago they suddenly started selling PU (in green bottles). Now I know why.

Yeah, that's a bummer. I bought some in green bottles but it was from a really good bottle shop so I had high hopes. Not really very good, unfortunately. OTOH, I was at a pizza place awhile back and they had a horrendous beer list but Pilsner Urquell was on the list. I did NOT have high hopes but surprisingly it was fresh and delicious. I poured it into a glass and couldn't stop picking it up and taking a sip. I would look at that big, thick head and clear, gold beer underneath and I was in awe of how good it was. You just don't know but the cans seem to have a better shot at being good.

#25 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14605 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:50 AM

I forget which German beer it was that I saw a brewer tour on TV (Beck's maybe) where they bottled into green bottles and then stored the finished cases outside exposed to the sun I used PU to train myself on the "lightstruck" off flavor. I bought a 12 pack that was still completely enclosed, then stuck one out in the sun for 30 minutes or so, re-chilled it, and compared to one from the closed case. That was an obvious flavor change

#26 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Dang.  I now have a mission for this weekend.

of all the pilsners I drank in the Czech Republic, Staropramen was my favorite

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

of all the pilsners I drank in the Czech Republic, Staropramen was my favorite

I had it over in europe a few years ago.  It's outstanding.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63965 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

I checked my local good beer store for cans of fine czech pils.  No luck.  :(

#29 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:44 AM

Even with the brown bottles and cans, those beers face an uphill battle. At it's freshest most of the time on our shores it is 3 months old and shipped non refrigerated. The beer in Czech is amazing. I highly recommend anyone to travel there that enjoys beer.

#30 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

Even with the brown bottles and cans, those beers face an uphill battle. At it's freshest most of the time on our shores it is 3 months old and shipped non refrigerated. The beer in Czech is amazing. I highly recommend anyone to travel there that enjoys beer.

They've been cold shipping it for a while now.

https://www.prnewswi...-162198805.html

edit: PU is cold shipped, probably not the other examples.

Edited by ChicagoWaterGuy, 13 April 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

They've been cold shipping it for a while now. https://www.prnewswi...-162198805.html edit: PU is cold shipped, probably not the other examples.

Good to know. I will say that the cans of Pilsner Urquell I had at the track were fresh and delicious. If there was oxidation or other "age issue", I was not able to detect it. What I will also say is that if you are a beer lover and especially a lover of "pilsner" beer, you owe it to yourself to get over there at some point. There are beers you have never heard of. There are outdoor stalls that sell food and have a draft system where you just order "beer" and get some delicious golden suds that falls in line with helles or pilsner. You may never know what brand of beer it is but it's delicious. I drank a beer in Czech Republic called "Bernard" which came in Groslch-style bottles. It's apparently been around forever but I had never heard of it. Small beer gardens are everywhere and will carry any number of great beer on draft: Krusovice, Gambrinus, Staropramen, Zipfer, Stiegl, Pilsner Urquell, Zlatny Bavant, Budvar and a hundred others and they're all delicious. American breweries don't make this style of beer properly, generally. Some places have some good examples but nothing like what you experience over there.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 13 April 2015 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users