45 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

Poking around on the NM website i caught the mention of 'caramel malts', 'toasted two-row black malt' and 'Galena hops'. They also mention yeast 'varieties', which i found interesting. Could they be using a blend?

Interesting and I'm surprised by that because I've been on the Modelo site and usually there is NOTHING of value to a brewer. The Galena would be a surprise. The "two-row black malt" could be just that or possibly a dehusked black, midnight wheat sort of thing or even Carafa. Not sure on the blend but I could swear I pick up 940 character in most of the Modelo beers.

#22 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

I didn't expect to get anything and i'm certain i must've poked around there before. It was different than i remember though. They are definitely trying to position it as a premium beer. They even have Rick Bayless creating recipes and pairings with it.

Galena isn't that surprising, i suppose. The late hop presence is pretty low and you could probably drop a lot of different hops in there without much notice.

Maybe 940 is a blend. :o

#23 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

I didn't expect to get anything and i'm certain i must've poked around there before. It was different than i remember though. They are definitely trying to position it as a premium beer. They even have Rick Bayless creating recipes and pairings with it.

Galena isn't that surprising, i suppose. The late hop presence is pretty low and you could probably drop a lot of different hops in there without much notice.

Maybe 940 is a blend. :o

Cheap alpha I would guess.

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:21 PM

Oh wow, that site is different that the "Grupo Modelo" site I'm usually on. There is a vid with Rick Bayless and they're getting very splashy over there. I will say this... a buddy came over to my house last summer and brought me a 12er of NM. I said, You didn't have to bring beer... you know that! and he said that he wanted to bring something. So I put it in the fridge and any time we were heading out somewhere and I wanted to bring beer, I would bring some. It's nice. I like my version of a Mexican Dark Lager (or Jamil's Vienna) better but it's still nice. Also, this is the first time I'm hearing NM being referred to as a Munich Dunkel.

https://negramodelousa.com/home

#25 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

Maybe it was originally modeled after the German Dunkels, but it's not within what would be considered the current guideline for a Dunkel.  Maybe the style had a broader range in 1926?

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:08 PM

Oh wow, that site is different that the "Grupo Modelo" site I'm usually on. There is a vid with Rick Bayless and they're getting very splashy over there. I will say this... a buddy came over to my house last summer and brought me a 12er of NM. I said, You didn't have to bring beer... you know that! and he said that he wanted to bring something. So I put it in the fridge and any time we were heading out somewhere and I wanted to bring beer, I would bring some. It's nice. I like my version of a Mexican Dark Lager (or Jamil's Vienna) better but it's still nice. Also, this is the first time I'm hearing NM being referred to as a Munich Dunkel.

https://negramodelousa.com/home

JKor's recipe looks a lot closer many Alt recipes I have seen. 

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, the heavy hand on the hops makes it fairly alt-ish.  I love a good alt, though.  :)

Actually, my goal when I first decided I wanted to clone NM a few years ago was to keep the same malt/yeast character and kick in a little more hops, a kind of Vienna-Alt hybrid.  So, I guess it's an NM "clone" not a NM clone.

Edited by JKor, 06 July 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

The 2112 moved fast! I pitched after midnight on friday and I'm already at 1.015. I like to ramp temp a little as it gets to the 20s but this yeast beat me to it. I shut down my temp controller. It'll maybe get up to 66-67 (It's cold in my basement!). Hopefully that'll give it a little steam to finish up.

The hydro sample tastes good though, definitely similar character to the real deal. The predicted 33 IBU doesn't seem to be coming through to my palate. Maybe a few more points of attenuation will bring it out?

#29 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

it's always bothered me that it's not:

negro modelo

-or-

negra modela

what the hell is going on with this name???

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

Remember when someone posted about making a starter with Malta Goya and he kept referring to it as Malto Gayo? I can't remember who it was but it was hilarious.

#31 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:57 AM

Remember when someone posted about making a starter with Malta Goya and he kept referring to it as Malto Gayo? I can't remember who it was but it was hilarious.

:lol:

#32 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:52 AM

it's always bothered me that it's not:

negro modelo

-or-

negra modela

what the hell is going on with this name???

Modelo is the brand.  Negra refers to the color of the beer, cerveza, thus has is in the feminine form.  Kind of like a shortening of Cerveza Negra de Modelo.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:00 AM

Because of this thread, I was dreaming about NM and my Bordertown Dark Lager all night last night. I'm serious. I was envisioning tapping a glass of it down in the basement, then envisioning that nice-looking beer from the Modelo website with the bubbles rising, etc. I thought I might get up at 3am and start drinking! Thanks JKOR! :lol:

#34 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

Your welcome!!!

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

Your welcome!!!

that's nice of you give him his very own welcome.  :D

#36 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

PH lingo bleed!!!

#37 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:42 PM

This beer is in the bottles.   It tastes good, not as hoppy as I think the estimated IBU would indicate, also the color is too light for the commercial beer.  I'd probably need to double the roasted malt to hit on color.

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:51 AM

This beer is in the bottles.   It tastes good, not as hoppy as I think the estimated IBU would indicate, also the color is too light for the commercial beer.  I'd probably need to double the roasted malt to hit on color.

If you tasted it flat, you may get a tad more 'liveliness' when the beer is carbed. Color is a tricky thing and I have whiffed many times trying to get it right. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

#39 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

All-in-all, I think it came out pretty well.  The color actually ended up coming a lot closer to the original than expected.  It was a hair lighter, but not much.  It needed more on the hops, the predicted IBUs really didn't come through on this one.  Not sure why, I haven't had that problem often.  I was actually worried about it being too bitter when I was brewing it because the volume came in a little low. 

Flavor-wise, the backbone is there.  It didn't finish as dry as the commercial and had too much melanoidin character and caramel sweetness.  Probably swap out the munich for vienna or do a 50/50.  Back off on the caramunich to 2 oz and make about 10% grist flaked corn.

2015-07-23%2021.22.40.jpg

#40 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63969 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

ETA:  It's not quite there on the carbonation.  I just grabbed some more tonight (pic was from Thursday).  Seems like it picked up a bit more carbonation and lost some of the sweetness.  Still heavier than the original on maltiness.  Definitely not a bad thing, it tastes damn good.  Forgot to mention above that I think the yeast left it a little high.  I'll definitely search out the 940 for the next batch and maybe not as clean as could be.

Edited by JKor, 27 July 2015 - 07:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users