#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

I thought the BIAB bags were a very fine mesh to avoid grain sediment?

#22 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

I doubt they are fine enough to prevent flour from passing through but it could be possible.

#23 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

I thought the BIAB bags were a very fine mesh to avoid grain sediment?

Certainly not fine enough to keep grain fines from getting into the boil.  If you wanted to have something fine enough to filter all that stuff out it would take an hour to drain the bag.

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

Pretty sure I don't want BIAB.I had a Coleman xtreme 70qt that I intended to use for brewing. Still have it, but who knows what has been in it since. Don't think I'll mash in there

Why not, give it a good cleaning and modify it. Don't buy something else when you don't need to.

#25 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

My bag is very fine and drains well. Is there grain fines getting through? Probably but not nearly like when I used a paint strainer bag. With the paint strainer bag there was more trub but I can't say I noticed any problems with the end product. From what I have seen online and what I hear from people here my kettle trub is pretty comparable to a more traditional process (which I think has a bit of variation from system to system as well) At the end of the day I am not convinced it makes a difference. 

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

My bag is very fine and drains well. Is there grain fines getting through? Probably but not nearly like when I used a paint strainer bag. With the paint strainer bag there was more trub but I can't say I noticed any problems with the end product. From what I have seen online and what I hear from people here my kettle trub is pretty comparable to a more traditional process (which I think has a bit of variation from system to system as well) At the end of the day I am not convinced it makes a difference. 

Do you know the mesh size?  I used a paint strainer bag when I did it and there was a shit ton of grain fines getting through.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

Do you know the mesh size?  I used a paint strainer bag when I did it and there was a shit ton of grain fines getting through.

I used one of these when I tried it comparing it to a paint strainer bag it was much finer.  I have to see if I have any pictures of the batch I did in the fermetnor.  There was more than a typical batch that is for sure.

Edited by drez77, 09 April 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#28 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

I do not off hand, sorry. I believe it is a nylon swiss voile type fabric. The other thing that made a difference for me was not stirring the mash just before draining. Seems obvious, but took me a while before I did it. This also noticeably reduced my trub volume. Now, before I drain the bag I have clear wort on top and grains and fines settled to the bottom. I slowly raise the bag in stages to keep the fine stuff settled on the top of the grain bed and to encourage as much wort as possible to drain through the grains and not through the side of the bag. 

#29 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14707 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

Why not, give it a good cleaning and modify it. Don't buy something else when you don't need to.

I need to see what it looks like inside. I've got all the fittings

#30 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

I need a new mash tun. What's the latest and greatest for batch sparging? 

Same as it ever was....48 or 70 qt. cooler, Lasco hose braid, cheap valve and tubing.

#31 haeffnkr

haeffnkr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationSt Peters MO

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

I have a EBIAB setup that I use in my basement... it makes great beer, I have some medals to show for it.

I use Wilserbrewer bags... look him up on google or  HBT.

I dont think the amount of trub in the kettle or in fermenter matters.

I start a boil with with 14 gallons and put 12 gallon batches into these fermenters  https://www.ebay.com...=item2c9890bdc8.... they are GREAT. Drill a 1 1/8 hole in the lid and use rubber stoppers to put in a bubbler or I have made a 2 hole stopper for co2 in and racking cane out.

It is like they have teflon coating in them, I can clean one in about 90 seconds..... they hold pressure. I pressure transfer via CO2 with them into 2 corny kegs.

Regardless of how you brew... these fermenters are great, cheap and flat out work... and I have tried glass, buckets, 8 gallon and 16 gallon kegs to ferment in previously.

Getting the wort in the fermenter is a small part of brewing good beer, but BIAB makes it pretty easy to do so.

Kevin

Edited by haeffnkr, 09 April 2015 - 12:56 PM.

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

I have a EBIAB setup that I use in my basement... it makes great beer, I have some medals to show for it.

I start a boil with with 14 gallons and put 12 gallon batches into these fermenters  https://www.ebay.com...=item2c9890bdc8.... they are GREAT. Drill a 1 1/8 hole in the lid and use rubber stoppers to put in a bubbler or I have made a 2 hole stopper for co2 in and racking cane out.

It is like they have teflon coating in them, I can clean one in about 90 seconds..... they hold pressure. I pressure transfer via CO2 with them into 2 corny kegs.

Regardless of how you brew... these fermenters are great, cheap and flat out work... and I have tried glass, buckets, 8 gallon and 16 gallon kegs to ferment in previously.

Getting the wort in the fermenter is a small part of brewing good beer, but BIAB makes it pretty easy to do so.

Kevin

Those fermenters are good,  I have a few that I have modified to work with tri-clamps.

#33 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

Kevin

Kevin, that sounds like a nice system. If I were to change anything about my system it would be to make it eBIAB and get rid of the propane. Either the traditional way with an element or with a large 240V induction burner. 

Edited by nettles, 09 April 2015 - 03:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users