20 replies to this topic

#1 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

i saw this debate on facebook yesterday..what would you do?

the guy buys a couple of corny kegs. he doesn't say where they're from. he receives them, and they appear to still have some soda in them. he brews a 10g batch, and accidentally racks half of the batch onto one of the new kegs before it was cleaned and sanitized. in other words, he racked it on top of what he thinks is old soda. would you dump it? or, ride it out and see what happens?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

I might throw the keg away.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:47 PM

I'd taste it then probably dump it.

#4 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

I might throw the keg away.

lol...aren't you the one with about 150 or so of them?

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

That's gnef.I'd most likely dump. I might give it a taste if it didn't smell bad. Can't imagine keeping it, though.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

Well, I would probably dump it for 2 reasons. The first is that there is now old soda in my beer. I suppose that if it was just a couple ounces or something it might be okay. But the other reason is that the keg was not cleaned or sanitized and the possibility of there being NO bacteria in there seems slight. How on Earth did he rack fresh beer into a keg that hadn't been cleaned yet? Did he grab it on accident? Seems weird but we've had dirty diapers in the primary so let's just go with it. :D

#7 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

yeah, it sounds like he just grabbed it on accident.

my premise, in addition to those ken just stated, was that it seems obvious there's soda in the keg. but, you don't really know what exactly is in the keg. is it potentially contaminated with something other than soda? probably not. but, it's not a risk i'm willing to take.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

If it was sugary soda and the keg was sitting there (open?), wouldn't it seem very likely that this would be a good place to find bacteria? I have heard of people grabbing a keg and racking beer into it only to find that the keg still had a couple gallons of Starsan in it. I guess that I'm surprised I haven't done this yet but I have not racked onto any other liquids... only sanitized kegs. But I do grab my clean kegs and walk down to the basement so if there was anything in it, I'd know it. At least it's not YOUR problem to fix, Luka. Cheers.

#9 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Dump it.  No question

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

That's gnef.I'd most likely dump. I might give it a taste if it didn't smell bad. Can't imagine keeping it, though.

Yeah, gnef.  No doubt I would dump it too.  Then a cycle or two on the keg cleaner, new poppet valve and new o-rings

#11 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:45 AM

Even if you grabbed the keg by accident, don't you smell the soda as you get ready to rack on top of it and think... hmmm this isn't right?

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:54 AM

Dump it.  No question

This right here ...

#13 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

Yea, and gnef only has about 100, so not that crazy. :D

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

Even if you grabbed the keg by accident, don't you smell the soda as you get ready to rack on top of it and think... hmmm this isn't right?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. Maybe I'm just hyper-aware when I keg because I'm trying to be quick, clean, etc. so nothing goes wrong at that last stage in the batch. Plus, I'm now in the habit of taking the sanitized keg down to my beer bunker and purging it with CO2, bleeding it, opening it and then racking to it so this would NEVER happen based on my process. I could see it happening to someone, I suppose but it's unusual for sure.

#15 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

yea..it was a brainless move to rack into the dirty keg...no doubt. i have a hard time believing the guy has much respect for the craft, hence the determination to drink it.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:23 AM

dump it for sure.  that's just gross.

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

Haha. You guys act like 100 is unreasonable.

Yes, I would dump it. Like others said, that could not happen with my process. Because I have so many kegs, I only store my kegs under pressure after they have been fully cleaned out and completely dried. I also store my ready to use kegs on top of the baker's racks that I have, and my dirty kegs stay on the floor. When I go to use a keg, I check for pressure first to make sure it still seals well, then I fill with starsan, and blow it out with CO2, then it is ready to fill.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Haha. You guys act like 100 is unreasonable.

Yes, I would dump it. Like others said, that could not happen with my process. Because I have so many kegs, I only store my kegs under pressure after they have been fully cleaned out and completely dried. I also store my ready to use kegs on top of the baker's racks that I have, and my dirty kegs stay on the floor. When I go to use a keg, I check for pressure first to make sure it still seals well, then I fill with starsan, and blow it out with CO2, then it is ready to fill.

Dude you have twice as many taps as I have kegs.  :lol:

I can't believe there was actually a debate about dumping or saving. 

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:51 PM

Haha. I just got a Perlick 650ss, the one with the flow control. After getting the one, I want to replace all of mine, but man, that's expensive!

It actually makes a lot of sense to also put them on my jockey boxes, but that would be another 13 faucets, and that isn't quite worth it when I only use the jockey boxes 1-2 times a year.

#20 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

httpss://www.facebook.com/groups/homebrewnetwork/permalink/697563727039145/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users