26 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

I could easily just google these terms but I thought I'd start a conversation here instead. Below are three beer "styles?" that I have seen or heard referenced several times but know nothing about. Tell me about them.

What is Kellerbier?

What is a Belgian Grand Cru?

What is American Pub Ale?

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Kellerbier is literally cellar beer. It can be cloudy and cellared in a barrel.

Belgian Grand Cru is probably just Rodenbach or some variant

American Pub Ale is likely a generic term for american blonde/red/amber/cream ale - finest of these style brews can be found the Mayfair Court Brewhouse.

Edited by SchwanzBrewer, 12 April 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#3 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

Kellerbier is probably the closest we can come to the original German lagers. They are the German Lager equivalent of a British cask Ale. More rustic and less refined than what we usually expect from a German Lager, cloudy, and with low carbonation, though the bottled version are often higher carbed, like bottled cask Ales.

Rodenbach, as far as I know.

A generic term for craft Ale, as far as I can tell.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Kellerbier is basically unfiltered pils.

Grand Cru is not a style.  It's a designation that breweries or wineries give to their best product.  ANY beer can be called a Grand Cru., although they're almost always Belgian in origin.

American pub ale is not an "official' style either and generally connotes an American "craft" beer of moderate gravity.

#5 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14605 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

A generic term for craft Ale, as far as I can tell.

I generally think of it as more of a middle of the road beer like an Amber Ale or APA

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Kellerbier is probably the closest we can come to the original German lagers. They are the German Lager equivalent of a British cask Ale. More rustic and less refined than what we usually expect from a German Lager, cloudy, and with low carbonation, though the bottled version are often higher carbed, like bottled cask Ales.

Sounds like it could be pretty tasty either way.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I've seen Grand Cru interchangeably used with Quadrupel and Dark Strong (BJCP 18E).

Huh. You learn something every day. Apparently grand cru is used on beer and food products like older beer companies use special, premium, and other monikers depicting a high end product.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

Huh. You learn something every day. Apparently grand cru is used on beer and food products like older beer companies use special, premium, and other monikers depicting a high end product.

Exactly

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

Grand Cru is not a style.  It's a designation that breweries or wineries give to their best product.  ANY beer can be called a Grand Cru., although they're almost always Belgian in origin.

American pub ale is not an "official' style either and generally connotes an American "craft" beer of moderate gravity.

Sam Adams, Alpine Spring comes to mind

yep

Manny's Pale Ale comes to mind

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:35 AM

I had a Kellerbier in Munich that was just as these guys describe... cloudy, pale-colored, rustic-looking and relatively tame. I know some local brewers who make [what they call] "kellerbier" and they make it as an ale and usually use what brewers would use for Hefeweizen... 3068 or something else that creates cloudy beer and they ferment it cooler to lower banana & clove characters. That doesn't mean they're right but that's what they do.No idea on the Grand Cru. I tasted one once and it reminded me of a stronger Hoegaarden.I don't know that I have ever seen the term "American Pub Ale". Seems very wide-open and vague but seems to suggest American ingredients including yeast and something (as described above) like a pale ale, amber ale or maybe red ale of moderate gravity so you can drink a number of them in a session.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 13 April 2015 - 06:36 AM.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:27 AM

finest of these style brews can be found the Mayfair Court Brewhouse.

I just noticed that. You're hilarious. Now I probably need to dream up a trade where I send you something and you send me beer. Never in the history of my homebrewing have I sent beer to someone who didn't send me beer. Yes, I got a 2L flask out of the deal so it's all good. :P

#12 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

Grand cru means great growth so wineries use it for only the best of a particular variety.

the Rodenbach is another flemish sour/flanders red and it's the best batches of their sour

#13 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

I had a Kellerbier in Munich that was just as these guys describe... cloudy, pale-colored, rustic-looking and relatively tame. I know some local brewers who make [what they call] "kellerbier" and they make it as an ale and usually use what brewers would use for Hefeweizen... 3068 or something else that creates cloudy beer and they ferment it cooler to lower banana & clove characters. That doesn't mean they're right but that's what they do.No idea on the Grand Cru. I tasted one once and it reminded me of a stronger Hoegaarden.I don't know that I have ever seen the term "American Pub Ale". Seems very wide-open and vague but seems to suggest American ingredients including yeast and something (as described above) like a pale ale, amber ale or maybe red ale of moderate gravity so you can drink a number of them in a session.

It's possible their beers were inspired by Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss https://www.sierrane...ound/kellerweis

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

It's possible their beers were inspired by Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss https://www.sierrane...ound/kellerweis

Very possible. They were calling it a "Kellerbier" and at the time I knew nothing about it so maybe part of that went over my head. I knew they made it with 3068 so when I went to Germany and saw a big, Grolsch-style bottle of Kellerbier at the store, I winced a little bit but I bought it anyway. It didn't have the banana & clove character but it was quite cloudy and it was hopped relatively low.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

German Beer Institute is a great resource for German styles, https://www.germanbe...com/styles.html

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

Yeah, I have been on that site and I always marvel at all of the styles that most people never talk about. From Altsterwasser to Zoiglbier... Germany is the Disneyland of Beers!

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

So thirsty...

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

Sincerely.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

[quote name="Village Taphouse" post="2008220" timestamp="1428932108"]I had a Kellerbier in Munich that was just as these guys describe... cloudy, pale-colored, rustic-looking and relatively tame.[quote]The Kellerbier I've had in Bavaria seemed close to a Helles. Maybe a Bavarian take on a Pilsner (malty, low in hops compared to northern versions of the style) or Export. I had one from Franconia that I'm sure was a Maerzen.There's an Ayinger one around in bottles, which I haven't tried, though I've had Kellerbier at their pub near the HB.

#20 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

My understanding is Keller is unfiltered helles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users