This made me LOL.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

I found the exact same thing with the 3724 strain... All my primaries get foil instead of an airlock and I havent stalled with 3724 yet.ETA: great article. Lost of good stuff in there.

Edited by nettles, 14 April 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

<p>This made me LOL.

Good to know its the Ardennes strain. I've picked up that character too many times judging wit beer. I'm not a fan.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:46 AM

how much pressure does an airlock really provide though?  I have to think almost nothing.  for the purposes of comparing open and closed fermentations I believe I've read that airlocks are basically open in terms of pressure.

#6 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

how much pressure does an airlock really provide though? I have to think almost nothing. for the purposes of comparing open and closed fermentations I believe I've read that airlocks are basically open in terms of pressure.

dunno, can only say it has worked for me. However, if it has worked for Drew Beechum that is far more valuable knowledge.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

dunno, can only say it has worked for me. However, if it has worked for Drew Beechum that is far more valuable knowledge.

have you tried both ways?  it doesn't sound like drew has so I'm not sure how he can start to attribute his lack of stalling to not using an airlock.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:02 AM

have you tried both ways? it doesn't sound like drew has so I'm not sure how he can start to attribute his lack of stalling to not using an airlock.

I have not but Drew has been making a s**t ton of saison for many years. Id be surprised if he hasnt. Also would like more detail on what exactly he confirmed with the lab rats. I wont try it both ways as long as it keeps working for me. 3724 has been my favorite saison yeast thus far.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

I have not but Drew has been making a s**t ton of saison for many years. Id be surprised if he hasnt. Also would like more detail on what exactly he confirmed with the lab rats. I wont try it both ways as long as it keeps working for me. 3724 has been my favorite saison yeast thus far.

if it's possible it helps I see no reason why you'd change - I'm just not sure it would matter much either way.  it would be good to see what was "confirmed" by the brainy folk.  at some point back pressure is a problem for any yeast so that statement on it's own is true.  what is not clear is how it affects different yeasts and at what pressure it starts to produce noticeable results.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 14 April 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

I wonder what the breweries that use conicals do to help that strain along, or do they even use the strain due to the constraints?

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

I wonder what the breweries that use conicals do to help that strain along, or do they even use the strain due to the constraints?

They probably do what we do: drive up the temp and wait, mix the culture with something else that ferments out or use a different strain.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:17 AM

They probably do what we do: drive up the temp and wait, mix the culture with something else that ferments out or use a different strain.

I have heard of at least one place doing this. They pitch with a lesser amount of 3711 to finish it out. I have heard of other places just wrestling with it until it "acclimates" to their brewery.

Another thing I am glad he touched on was fermentation temp. There is so much stuff out there saying you have to ferment saison strains hot. I think that is bogus. I am glad to see his recommendation for starting in the mid 60's. This is what I have always done and with great success. Sure finishing them on the hot side will help get it dry but starting them hot seems like a recipe for fusels, depending on strain and other conditions. IIRC Markowski notes that DuPont ferments in the 90's simply as a matter getting it fermented faster to push it through production, not because it has to be fermented that hot. 

Edited by nettles, 14 April 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Maybe it's my climate or my methods, but I have never encountered a sticker with 3724 or 565. I too begin the ferment in the low to mid 60's but then that's it. I let the temp rise to ambient +/- 78 F. IMHO, I make some very nice fruity yet dry Saisons - yeast driven of course. I also let them sit a few days in the garage before kegging. My last batch with Belle went from 60 to 2 and would have gone lower had I not kegged.I had a little Facebook dialogue with Mr. Drew yesterday and he is big on the DuPont strain. I was wondering what his take was on Belle Saison. His response was not favorable but also said he had only tried it once.....

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

it seems like a lot of people really like the belle saison yeast.  did he say what he didn't like about it?

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

it seems like a lot of people really like the belle saison yeast.  did he say what he didn't like about it?

He did not say a lot

Drew Beechum Mike, I used Belle Saison once - wasn't overly impressed with it, but that was just first impression material (it was a bit subdued for my taste)
20 hrs · Like · 1

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:15 PM

I think it's very cool to be able to communicate with some top producers like Drew and Denny as well as all of you's guys :)My next 10 gallon batch is going to be a Motueka Saison and I intend on splitting between a packet of Belle and some 3724. Curious to see where the "sub-dude" part is at...

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

I think it's very cool to be able to communicate with some top producers like Drew and Denny as well as all of you's guys :)My next 10 gallon batch is going to be a Motueka Saison and I intend on splitting between a packet of Belle and some 3724. Curious to see where the "sub-dude" part is at...

same plan but my other yeast will not be 3724

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

Well? Wadda ya gonna use then?

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

Well? Wadda ya gonna use then?

https://www.brews-br...ison/?p=2003510

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

the "sub-dude saison" - thanks for the name idea!  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users