#1 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

This post got a lot of replies on the BJCP facebook page. I'm interested in what the thoughts are of members here.

[color=rgb(20,24,35);font-family:helvetica, arial, 'lucida grande', sans-serif;]What are thoughts on a pro brewer entering a homebrew competition? Is it double dipping? Is it fine because it's made at home? Or is it cheesy?[/color]

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

I'm in the "fine if he made it at home with homebrew equipment camp".  Simply being paid to brew doesn't necessarily equate to greater than average competence.  There are a lot of commercial brewers who just sit there and punch things into a touchscreen all day long.

Edited by denny, 15 April 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#3 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

I was also in the "as long as it wasn't brewed in a commercial facility" camp and "bring on all challengers as long as they follow the rules."

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I have no problem with it so long as it's homebrew. One of the brewers at Cigar City regularly competes with his homebrew.

I asked the group for the Florida Circuit if the beers my club brewed for war of the worts could be used to compete and the resounding answer was no. The wort was made on professional equipment by a professional brewer, but we boiled it and turned it into a bunch of different beers. Kind of like extract brewing, but the difference being not everyone has access to the wort. So it's not going to be entered.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

Most contests also ban beers brewed at brew on premises places. I wouldn't have a problem with it but I respect any club's right to choose the rules for their contests. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users